IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Experiences with buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 03:37 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably the best threads publish in the past months. You get a real $$$ benefit from the info you get here. Either get the car in Cali or use it as a reference to get the price near invoice in your home state.

Congrats,

Warrionex
Old 06-16-07, 03:26 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for an update (for anybody who might consider doing this in the future), my dealer said it would be no problem to special order an IS, register/insure it in Florida, and then have it sent to a dealer in California for pick-up.

However, as much as I love the IS250, I've decided to get a G35, and will similarly pick it up in California. I loved the IS. What it came down to wasn't the fact that the G35 was bigger (didn't make a difference to me) or had 100 more HP (doesn't really make a difference to me). It was the interior and the G35's navigation system with built-in hard drive. Not many people are going to agree with me here, if any, but I don't think the IS' interior can compare to the G35s in terms of looks (in terms of quality/fit and finish, they compare easily). It was a tough choice. I think the IS is a better, sleeker looking car on the outside, but I'm big on tech stuff and the interior design is extremely important to me.

Last edited by MAH4546; 06-16-07 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 03:37 AM
Lex21
Driver School Candidate

If I get a good price with the options I want from a dealership out of state, can I buy it and register the vehicle for my home state without having to worry about re-registration? Are there any other costs or disadvantages to buying out of state other than potentially having to ship the vehicle?
Old 09-02-07, 07:21 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not many people are going to agree with me here, if any, but I don't think the IS' interior can compare to the G35s in terms of looks (in terms of quality/fit and finish, they compare easily). It was a tough choice. I think the IS is a better, sleeker looking car on the outside, but I'm big on tech stuff and the interior design is extremely important to me.
You are right there, not many will agree with you (even G owner's). Not many have concluded that the G's interior is overall better than than the IS's in looks, but beauty and quality is in the eyes of the beholder.

Good luck with the school thing. There have been other threads here about having an expensive car on campus. It is often a hassle as parking is tight and expensive, and a new car can be quite a distraction at a time when you should be hitting the books. And you will certainly raise eyebrows by having a new Lexus (or even Infiniti) as your ride as a full time student. There would be better ways to spend those kinds of dollars while at school, but it's your (or your parent's) money.

Last edited by Evitzee; 09-02-07 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 12:29 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I am moving to Los Angeles come August, and was planning on purchasing and registering my IS there. However, looking more into it, it seems like it will be cheaper to purchase and register the car in Florida, my home state. Though anybody have any experiences with buying a car from the opposite coast?

If I were to buy a car in Miami, would the dealer handle the shipping to California (obviously for a fee), or am I on my own? Anybody know how long it should expect for the vehicle to be shipped?

Despite the added hassle, it seems like it is going to be a lot cheaper to register and insure the car in Florida. Even though I'm going to LA, my permanent address and residence will still be in South Florida. The deals are better in SoCal on new 250s, but they aren't bad in Miami at all.
Haha, welcome to the club... My permanent "residence," registration and insurance are all in Dallas, Texas, but you can find me in California right now. I purchased my car in the middle of moving from Louisiana after hurricane Katrina in 2005, and went through exactly what you're experiencing now. I knew exactly what I wanted, called up pretty much every Lexus dealership between Louisiana and California, and wound up placing my deposit at Sewell Lexus in Dallas, Texas. When the car arrived some months later, I flew from Los Angeles to Dallas, got picked up at the airport by my salesman in an LS430, spent 30 minutes in the dealership signing paperwork, and proceeded to drive 1,700 miles from Dallas to Los Angeles. It took me a day and a half, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Think about it - what do you want to do when you buy a new car? Drive it. So I got drive my new car undisturbed for 2 days while enjoying one heck of a beautiful drive from Texas to California. When I arrived in Cali, my car was already broken in! Best of luck with your decision, shopping, and impending trip.

Javier
Old 09-03-07, 12:38 PM
Lex21
Driver School Candidate

Just refreshing this to see if anyone had any insight....thanks

Originally Posted by Lex21
If I get a good price with the options I want from a dealership out of state, can I buy it and register the vehicle for my home state without having to worry about re-registration? Are there any other costs or disadvantages to buying out of state other than potentially having to ship the vehicle?