IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Experiences with buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 10:35 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences with buying out of state

I am moving to Los Angeles come August, and was planning on purchasing and registering my IS there. However, looking more into it, it seems like it will be cheaper to purchase and register the car in Florida, my home state. Though anybody have any experiences with buying a car from the opposite coast?

If I were to buy a car in Miami, would the dealer handle the shipping to California (obviously for a fee), or am I on my own? Anybody know how long it should expect for the vehicle to be shipped?

Despite the added hassle, it seems like it is going to be a lot cheaper to register and insure the car in Florida. Even though I'm going to LA, my permanent address and residence will still be in South Florida. The deals are better in SoCal on new 250s, but they aren't bad in Miami at all.
Old 05-27-07, 10:47 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I am moving to Los Angeles come August, and was planning on purchasing and registering my IS there. However, looking more into it, it seems like it will be cheaper to purchase and register the car in Florida, my home state. Though anybody have any experiences with buying a car from the opposite coast?

If I were to buy a car in Miami, would the dealer handle the shipping to California (obviously for a fee), or am I on my own? Anybody know how long it should expect for the vehicle to be shipped?

Despite the added hassle, it seems like it is going to be a lot cheaper to register and insure the car in Florida. Even though I'm going to LA, my permanent address and residence will still be in South Florida. The deals are better in SoCal on new 250s, but they aren't bad in Miami at all.
Was in a similar experience as you. Lived in Texas, bought the vehicle from Colorado, then moved to Georgia.

As far as shipping the vehicle, you more than likely will be on your own. At most, the dealer may tell you who they use to ship vehicles and have you contact them directly. The dealer will not be a part of that transaction to eliminate any liability/responsibility of the shipment of your car.

Timeline from coast to coast - expect 7-14 days (generally speaking).

Although you initially register & insure in Florida, you will have to register and insure in Cali within 30 days by law. There are people who will say not to change your registration/insurance, but you will leave yourself wide open for being pulled over, tickets for not changing your info, problems if you ever have an accident, or have to claim insurance, etc...

IMHO, may be initially cheaper to purchase in FL. But the $1k - $3k you'll spend in shipping, risking damage during shipping, waiting for your car, etc... Will be much easier to purchase in Cali.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-07, 06:11 AM
ShoFly
Rookie

I believe shipping a car is only ~$800 or so.
Old 05-28-07, 06:31 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evotolexus
Was in a similar experience as you. Lived in Texas, bought the vehicle from Colorado, then moved to Georgia.

As far as shipping the vehicle, you more than likely will be on your own. At most, the dealer may tell you who they use to ship vehicles and have you contact them directly. The dealer will not be a part of that transaction to eliminate any liability/responsibility of the shipment of your car.

Timeline from coast to coast - expect 7-14 days (generally speaking).

Although you initially register & insure in Florida, you will have to register and insure in Cali within 30 days by law. There are people who will say not to change your registration/insurance, but you will leave yourself wide open for being pulled over, tickets for not changing your info, problems if you ever have an accident, or have to claim insurance, etc...

IMHO, may be initially cheaper to purchase in FL. But the $1k - $3k you'll spend in shipping, risking damage during shipping, waiting for your car, etc... Will be much easier to purchase in Cali.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I might just drive it out on a road-trip, but shipping will only be in the $700-$800 range from what I hear.

I will be a student, so I do not need to re-register and re-insure in California, and thankfully, I can keep Florida registration and insurance (or at least that is what multiple people have told me, including one that does it - I'll of course double check).

Still debating it, though. The hassles of shipping, etc. might not be worth it, but I can save a lot registering and insuring in Florida.

Last edited by MAH4546; 05-28-07 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 09:25 PM
Cleric
Driver

If you purchase it in FL, you should definately take up the opportunity to drive it across the country IMHO. I moved from VA to CA for 6 months and drove both ways and it was awesome! It's such a great way to see the vast landscape we call home and is something most people never get to experience. I did it in an acura integra and still had a great time. You will have a chance to do it in an IS so it should be a real treat if you decide to drive it.
Old 05-28-07, 11:37 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cleric
If you purchase it in FL, you should definately take up the opportunity to drive it across the country IMHO. I moved from VA to CA for 6 months and drove both ways and it was awesome! It's such a great way to see the vast landscape we call home and is something most people never get to experience. I did it in an acura integra and still had a great time. You will have a chance to do it in an IS so it should be a real treat if you decide to drive it.
No doubt, it would be fun doing it, as long as I find someone to go with me. However, shouldn't I be concerned about a new car's break-in period? Would I want to go cross-country in a brand-new car?
Old 05-29-07, 08:12 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

From what I've read, CA is the cheapest state to purchase in. Florida's just OK.

Don't ship the car. Drive it cross country, or buy it in CA. I don't know another car that would be better to drive cross country--luxury and performance...

Check about re-registering in CA and maybe having to pay sales tax again, or additional fees. You'll eventually have to register in CA whether 30 days or 1-year like up here in the mid-west, or when your license expires. Not much to decide, just do it.

Always easier to register in your home state (soon to be CA), then to have to re-register it.
Old 05-29-07, 10:17 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt, it would be fun doing it, as long as I find someone to go with me. However, shouldn't I be concerned about a new car's break-in period? Would I want to go cross-country in a brand-new car?
I would consider that trip the break in period. And you'll know immediately on that trip if and what is wrong with your car. Besides, should anything happen to the car you have Lexus Road Side Assistance to come pick you up. Only thing I would suggest is getting one of those black bras to protect the front end of the car.

I personally put a thousand miles on my car the first two weeks I had it. That was my break in.
Old 05-29-07, 11:36 AM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sailing217
From what I've read, CA is the cheapest state to purchase in. Florida's just OK.

Don't ship the car. Drive it cross country, or buy it in CA. I don't know another car that would be better to drive cross country--luxury and performance...

Check about re-registering in CA and maybe having to pay sales tax again, or additional fees. You'll eventually have to register in CA whether 30 days or 1-year like up here in the mid-west, or when your license expires. Not much to decide, just do it.

Always easier to register in your home state (soon to be CA), then to have to re-register it.
California will not be my home state. Florida will still be my home state and my permanent address. I'll be a student, so I won't have to register the car in California nor become a California resident. The cost savings, especially in insurance, are why I'm thinking about driving the car from Florida. The deals on IS250s are still pretty good in Miami.

What are the taxes on new cars in California beside sales tax?
Old 05-29-07, 04:41 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

I'm 100% confident that you will get a better deal in California vs. Florida. Folks in Cali are getting an IS250 with Navi, 18", HID, and Prem Pkg for just over $32K (about $1K below invoice). I've not heard of such deals in Florida.

In my home state of Texas, most dealers want to charge $34K for the same vehicle. Mine budged because I threatened to go to Cali to buy the vehicle (some dealers in Cali were willing to pay my plane fare to get there). I got mine for $32.8K ($500 below invoice), including the window tinting. I paid $700 more than those in Cali, but I didn't have to worry about transporting the car or driving it back 1700 miles.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 05-29-07, 05:37 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I'm 100% confident that you will get a better deal in California vs. Florida. Folks in Cali are getting an IS250 with Navi, 18", HID, and Prem Pkg for just over $32K (about $1K below invoice). I've not heard of such deals in Florida.

In my home state of Texas, most dealers want to charge $34K for the same vehicle. Mine budged because I threatened to go to Cali to buy the vehicle (some dealers in Cali were willing to pay my plane fare to get there). I got mine for $32.8K ($500 below invoice), including the window tinting. I paid $700 more than those in Cali, but I didn't have to worry about transporting the car or driving it back 1700 miles.

Good luck and happy hunting!
I'm positive the deals will be better in California too, but the deals are good in South Florida, which is an extremely competitive market. When I was test-driving in December, the dealer, even before negotating, told me $35K on an IS 250 AWD with NAV/Premium/HID/18" if I took it right then. I wasn't really sure where I was going to be living (i.e. I might have been living in NYC), so I couldn't do anything, but that was a great deal. SoFL dealers always tend to have one AWD in stock that they can never sell, and I'd be willing to take an AWD. We'll see, I'm going to have to shop around both states. It really is just insuring and registering, which are significantly cheaper in Florida, that are holding me back.
Old 05-29-07, 05:44 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

I'm positive the deals will be better in California too, but the deals are good in South Florida, which is an extremely competitive market. When I was test-driving in December, the dealer, even before negotating, told me $35K on an IS 250 AWD with NAV/Premium/HID/18" if I took it right then. I wasn't really sure where I was going to be living (i.e. I might have been living in NYC), so I couldn't do anything, but that was a great deal. SoFL dealers always tend to have one AWD in stock that they can never sell, and I'd be willing to take an AWD. We'll see, I'm going to have to shop around both states. It really is just insuring and registering, which are significantly cheaper in Florida, that are holding me back.
Actually, I've seen others get those features on an AWD for $32K in California, which is really a great deal. I would simply call Lexus dealers in California to see if they can get you a good deal. You can have the vehicle transported to Florida and register/insure it there just as if you bought it from there. You may still come out ahead.

I would pick up the phone and call Lexus dealers in Cali (starting with Glendale and Westminster). Ask the Florida dealers to match the price or you walk. That's what I had to do in Texas.
Old 05-29-07, 09:33 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Actually, I've seen others get those features on an AWD for $32K in California, which is really a great deal. I would simply call Lexus dealers in California to see if they can get you a good deal. You can have the vehicle transported to Florida and register/insure it there just as if you bought it from there. You may still come out ahead.

I would pick up the phone and call Lexus dealers in Cali (starting with Glendale and Westminster). Ask the Florida dealers to match the price or you walk. That's what I had to do in Texas.
Thanks for the tip. I will do that.
Old 05-30-07, 12:47 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay i just helped my dad buy his new lexus gx470 from longo lexus in california. they shipped it to us here in WA for a fee of only 300 dollars that is what they dealership said it would cost and they would cover. We got the car 54k otd soo it wasnt much under msrp and it does not have to be register cali. In cali if you hit the high volume dealerships and there are more competitions around then you will get the better deals. Just low ball and work your way up from there.
Old 05-30-07, 01:26 AM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
Okay i just helped my dad buy his new lexus gx470 from longo lexus in california. they shipped it to us here in WA for a fee of only 300 dollars that is what they dealership said it would cost and they would cover. We got the car 54k otd soo it wasnt much under msrp and it does not have to be register cali. In cali if you hit the high volume dealerships and there are more competitions around then you will get the better deals. Just low ball and work your way up from there.
Thanks. I've looked at Longo Lexus. They'll actually be the closest dealer to where I'm living.

I wonder if I could buy the car in California, pick-it up in California, but register it in Florida at the same time? I really doubt it, but I might as well find out.

Quick Reply: Experiences with buying out of state