IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus sold damaged goods to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 09:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixing it would be unacceptable as far as I'm concerned if this is a brand new car. I would demand a refund/replacment vehicle. This likely won't be easy to get so have a lawyer ready. A threatning letter to the dealership and Lexus corporate should do the trick.
Old 05-30-07, 12:56 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
And trying to prove it was there BEFORE you bought it. Who's to say you didn't do the damage, then repair, and now try to blame the dealer? Just throwing it out there.
this is why when you take your car in for a estimate for car fixing they take down the vin number and the damage reports. I use to work for a collision repair shop. Every estimate we do go to a computer it goes to this one web site and it loggs it in. Car fax can get you a report on the car if the car had any replacement done on it. The magnet trick also works.
Old 05-30-07, 05:02 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
And trying to prove it was there BEFORE you bought it. Who's to say you didn't do the damage, then repair, and now try to blame the dealer? Just throwing it out there.
Well if the damage was reported and shows up on car fax it should have the date that would indicate it was fixed before I bought it.

[QUOTE=Old Oiler;2655691]Try a Magnet on it just to be sure. If it has Bondo the magnet will not adhere or adhere nearly as much.

Thanks, great Idea.

[QUOTE=evotolexus;2655749]That's why you should always ask for the "Vehicle Inquiry Report". this will show whether there was any damage at the port.

I never thought of doing this with a brand new car. But I will be checking this soon. Thanks

Originally Posted by Ramon
Fixing it would be unacceptable as far as I'm concerned if this is a brand new car. I would demand a refund/replacment vehicle. This likely won't be easy to get so have a lawyer ready. A threatning letter to the dealership and Lexus corporate should do the trick.

I feel the same way. I have never had to do any thing like this before, but I am seriously considering it.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts.
Old 05-30-07, 06:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmirk
As far as I know most states have a law where damage does not need to be disclosed if the damage is under a certain % of total value. Right or wrong.....???? Unfortunately that's just the way it is.
yes in IL that is the case, i worked at a dealer and the amount of damage that happens in any given dealer parking lot is insane. at minimal 2 cars a week where going to the body shop. either damage to a car inservice, damage to the car on the lot, transport damage, you name it! it all happens as much as we dont want to know about it.

Lets hope for you that its just the paint and a good detail job will make it look NEW and shiny for you!
Old 05-30-07, 07:33 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

The magnet trick won't work on plastic parts like the bumpers which is the most likely spot to be damaged in the lot or during loading/unloading of a car.
Old 05-30-07, 07:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Take a drive to the dealership and ask to speak to the General Sales Manager..

Explain your findings and show him/her your car.

Then ask if this is how they do business??
Sell Brand New cars with out disclosing that it was hit / repaired / painted... etc...

I'm sure their answer will be NO...

If they are a good dealership, they will take that car back and get you a new one at there cost...

If they are NOT, then there is Lexus Corporate. I'm sure if this is True, they won't be happy about it either.

Good Luck
- Joe Z

P.S. - If the car was hit during transport or at the dealership, they will do everything in their power to make sure it never shows up un any computer or reports... (common sense)
Old 05-30-07, 07:56 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Take a drive to the dealership and ask to speak to the General Sales Manager..

Explain your findings and show him/her your car.

Then ask if this is how they do business??
Sell Brand New cars with out disclosing that it was hit / repaired / painted... etc...

I'm sure their answer will be NO...

If they are a good dealership, they will take that car back and get you a new one at there cost...

If they are NOT, then there is Lexus Corporate. I'm sure if this is True, they won't be happy about it either.

Good Luck
- Joe Z

P.S. - If the car was hit during transport or at the dealership, they will do everything in their power to make sure it never shows up un any computer or reports... (common sense)
I agree, and it will most probably not be on any record I'm afraid.
Old 05-30-07, 08:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Does your local network news program have a consumer watchdog segment? Like WCBS TV's "Shame on You" with Arnold Diaz? Or WABC's "7 on your side"?

Perhaps that kind of media attention is what it will take to stop the shameful practice of repairing badly damaged vehicles and selling them as new. It is one thing for a dealer to buff out a scratch, quite another to sell a car that requires major body work and repainting as new.
Old 05-30-07, 08:52 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Jesus ...... you guys are always ready to string-up the dealership if anything out of the normal occures!!!!

A). If it is damaged in Japan ( before Loading ) they pull the car, send it back to the factory ......dis-assemble it and all the undamaged part are returned to the line.

B). If it was damaged on the boat, they send it to the body shop and have it repared at port. THEY are also required to report the damage to Lexus and a 800 report is generated that goes to the intended Dealership. The dealership HAS TO present to any possible client a "Damage Disclosure Statement" that details everything that happened,what was fixed and total cost!!! IT'S ILLEGAL NOT TO REPORT any damage over $350.00 done to the vehicle. AND, guy & gals it cost $250.00 to get a Panel, JUST, painted by the touch up guy's ......... Much less a Bondo repair ( Cha-ching $$$$$)

C). Damage is done at Dealership ........... Anything over $400.00 Must be reported and another type of "Damage Disclosure Statement ( DDS)" must be done and Filed with Lexus.......... they have to disclose this to CARFAX and the public.

I don't know one dealership in the United States that would jepordise it's Franchise License for a Couple of thousand dollar repair that they payed for already Just to make a deal by purposely mis-informing you. IF he did than he must of really thought you blind if he thought he could get away with it. If the Saleperson pulled a Rookie mistake and forgot to mention the DDS to you ......... Lexus would have.

Take the situtation to the Store Manager and show him the problem....... If you get the " it's just the paint" excuse ....... pick out another car on the lot just like your and show him that ........"it just isn't the Paint, and what are you going to do to help me rectify this mistake."

You'll get alot further asking then demanding in this case since he can come up with 30 seniro's that will explain what happened and how it isn't the Dealership's fault. So be nice and help the Store Manager help you!!!! If this doesn't work then scream Lawyer and hunker down for a long haul. You know as well as I do that the only one that's going to be satisified then are the Lawyers. Also, I'm pretty sure that you signed an Arbitration Agreement, that means a third party only will decide the merit of your case.

Good luck with this and remember that your dealership is/are people too.....

Thanks for letting me sound off.
Old 05-30-07, 10:10 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

I did the magnet test with a decal magnet off the refrigerator. Seem to stick no problem over the areas in question. Now I am leaning toward a paint defect that I wish I never noticed.

Now everytime I approach the drivers door I see it or I am looking to see if I notice it. Again I dont think it will show on video or pictures due to lighting and angle needed to really see it. I am confident if I point it out to someone in person they will be able to see the area.

I am not bashing the dealer. I got the price and the bank rate that I wanted. Went their twice, once to see it and then came back that day and bought it. Pretty sure this if something that happened before the dealer recieved it. It was the only one in the area(New Haven) when I found it and apparently they had just got it. I had Wesport, Fairfield and others telling me they could get one but I would have to wait. From what I learned, from the westport guys was they were trying to get the one I bought in N. Haven so they could sell it to me. But I had already gone down there, drove the car and bought it on the same day.

When and if i bring it to the service manager, I will point it out and ask for his thought on what to do about it, how do they normally handle this situation, etc, then I will either flame his *** and the rest of the people at the dealership or agree to whatever solution I can sleep with.
Old 05-30-07, 11:20 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear that. The dealer to dealer swap thing they do to get cars for us always leaves me a little nervous. I was supposed to take delivery of one of the few red IS350s left in the country this week after I had signed the buy order, put down the security deposit and everything, and they call me today to tell me the car that I was going to get as of the end of last week from some other dealer "has disappeared". I just knew something like this would happen over the long weekend which is why I was on them every day about where the car was. Now I'm left with taking another color (of which only black, silver, or grey are the only colors being made anymore) or special ordering one. Man I'm pretty pissed like you are about your situation. This was Lexus of Greenwich. I've dealt with Westport before. They are ok, a little too pushy for me. I assume you're talking about McDermott in New Haven - never dealt with them before.
Old 05-30-07, 11:37 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post some pics!
Old 05-31-07, 09:28 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdanon
Sorry to hear that. The dealer to dealer swap thing they do to get cars for us always leaves me a little nervous. I was supposed to take delivery of one of the few red IS350s left in the country this week after I had signed the buy order, put down the security deposit and everything, and they call me today to tell me the car that I was going to get as of the end of last week from some other dealer "has disappeared". I just knew something like this would happen over the long weekend which is why I was on them every day about where the car was. Now I'm left with taking another color (of which only black, silver, or grey are the only colors being made anymore) or special ordering one. Man I'm pretty pissed like you are about your situation. This was Lexus of Greenwich. I've dealt with Westport before. They are ok, a little too pushy for me. I assume you're talking about McDermott in New Haven - never dealt with them before.
Yea westport couldnt push since they had nothing i wanted.

First time for me at Mcderm. Havent heard any badness about them yet.

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
post some pics!
Cant get it to show on pics due to light and angle needed to actually see the defects. Its very tough to see unless you get in the right position and the light is just right.
Old 06-01-07, 05:04 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWQ83
Jesus ...... you guys are always ready to string-up the dealership if anything out of the normal occures!!!!
They all have a well deserved reputation !

Warrionex
Old 06-12-07, 12:01 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Default pics

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
post some pics!
working on it

Last edited by Jeff777; 06-12-07 at 12:34 PM. Reason: photo prob

Quick Reply: Lexus sold damaged goods to me