IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What '07 is350 worth? trading it in

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07 | 07:49 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by warrionex
The 335i twin turbo engine took the International Engine of the Year Award at the ninth annual international Engine of the Year awards in Stuttgart, Germany. My friend's stock 335i assassinated in cold blood by a full one second the IS350 (also stock).
Yes and google this "335i overheating" . This is no longer just hearsay. It's full blown now. Edmunds couldn't make it 3 laps recently while testing the 335i in warmer climates.

Awesome car though. I came real close to getting one.
Old 05-31-07 | 07:58 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

At least you will have a variety of loaners to pick from.
Old 05-31-07 | 09:25 PM
newis350
Pole Position

i almost took the plunge and traded my '06 IS350 for a 335 sedan. The BMW dealership offered me $30K on the trade. The $30K was set before we even discussed the price on the 335i. I know you have a '07, but I thought I would offer my two cents.

P.S. If you want more power/performance, why not wait till August and check out the new G37. I hear it is supposed to have 330 hp for about $35K.
Old 05-31-07 | 10:34 PM
mt1
Rookie

Don't forget to keep your AAA current.
Old 05-31-07 | 10:37 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

People need to give it a rest about how BMW "needs" 2 turbos to get the same HP as the IS. I'm sure BMW can make also make 306HP out of 3.0L or 3.5L normally if it wanted, but felt that the turbo gave it an advantage in certain ranges it wanted to stress. Plus, it's highly likely the real output of the 335i is signifcantly higher than the advertised 300HP.

Make fun of the idrive and its overall electrical gremlins all you want, but at least be reasonable and give their engineering department its due.
Old 05-31-07 | 10:57 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

I was tempted by the 335. The low end grunt is nice. I had just paid off the IS and the lease deals they were (still?) offering almost made it a no brainer.

In the end, I drive the IS like an old man 95% of the time and it's more than competent enough when I want to play anyway so I bought myself a $5K pistol and the g/f a $2200 LV purse. Everybody's happy.

I still wouldn't blame you if you do decide to get the 335. It is a heckuva nice ride.
Old 06-01-07 | 12:36 AM
edwardll
Driver

Originally Posted by al503
In the end, I drive the IS like an old man 95% of the time and it's more than competent enough when I want to play anyway so I bought myself a $5K pistol and the g/f a $2200 LV purse. Everybody's happy.
LMAO, I JUST FOUND THIS HELARIOUS FOR SOME REASON.. :: PICTURING ::
Old 06-01-07 | 12:43 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

he ALREADY said he liked the drive of the car. so why not let him make his own choice? after my dad and i test drove the 335i it was unanimous--WE MUST HAVE THIS CAR...WHY DID WE GET THE LEXUS. now i don't mean to upset anyone but the truth is, a bmw really is a driver's car, and by the sound of things that's the type of person he is. also, the overheating issue was recalled already (warrantied of course) and the problem is now nearly nonexistent. the problem occured mainly on automatics because the manuals all had oil coolers. 6mt all the way. and i should mention, that since his fiance has a 535 and he has an IS--shouldn't he be able to make a decision for himself? he has both vehicles.

on an 07 IS i want to say that you will get a notch over 30k. lease the bmw if you can--their lease offers are unbeatable. they'd approve a homeless person nowadays. my friend was shopping for a car, but his parents gave him a 500 dollar a month car payment budget. he ended up getting a brand new 530i a few months ago and his payments are 450/mo with little down.
Old 06-01-07 | 04:57 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by freddymoo
no stock 335i in this world or the moon can beat a stock is350 in 1 second...get the facts straight please.
Well, according to the experts (edmunds) the 335i blitzes the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds at 103.9 mph. The IS350 took .4 seconds more at 101.2 mph (13.8 secs).

My friend indeed got a full second ahead of the IS350. I'll guess the difference here must be the drivers. According to Edmunds' results, my friend manage to get the .6 seconds difference to get a full second ahead of our beloved IS350.

Warrionex

Last edited by warrionex; 06-01-07 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-01-07 | 05:13 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by warrionex
Well, according to the experts (edmunds) the 335i blitzes the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds at 103.9 mph. The IS350 took .4 seconds more at 101.2 mph (13.8 secs).

My friend indeed got a full second ahead of the IS350. I'll guess the difference here must be the drivers. According to Edmunds' results, my friend manage to get the .6 seconds difference to get a full second ahead of our beloved IS350.

Warrionex
The worth of a car is not what it does in the 1/4 mile. Unfortunately Americans have been brought up to believe that is almost all that matters. It is immaterial what car is faster in a straight line. What matters is the whole driving experience, and that is what BMW excels at.
Old 06-01-07 | 06:57 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

if money is no object.. wait on the 08' M3...
Old 06-01-07 | 07:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

sell it privately, dealers always rape you on trade ins
Old 06-01-07 | 08:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow This is exactly why I would NEVER buy ANY BWM or Mini for that matter..

Originally Posted by RobbieR
-Very high maintenance $$$ in about 4 years
-Problems reported of overheating in the new twin turbo
-No spare tire
-Run flats all around (50 miles maximum and very expensive to replace)
-No oil dipstick
-No engine temperature gauge
-Electronic gremlins continue to plauge the German brands

IMO, BMW started going downhill after 1995. My 1985 BMW has been rock solid reliable with over 200k miles. The reason? Limited electronics and simple mechanics.

FWIW, The boss and his wife both have new BMW's: a X5 4.4i and a 650i. Both have electronic issues and are in and out of the shop frequently.

If you haven't done so already, I would keep the IS.
^^^^ Great post right here!!!!!

Now this is why I would never buy any BMW Product!!!!

Below post is from a discussion thread from my.is. forum...

Originally Posted by Joe Z
This is exactly why I would NEVER buy ANY BWM or Mini for that matter..

Today (early morning hours), I saw a 5 Series with its hazzard on and the owner on the cell phone on the shoulder on the 210 Freeway..

Last week - Virtually Brand New random BMW 6 series broken down in the right lane on busy Figueroa Street bus stop in Downtown Los Angeles....
Owner on the cell phone on the sidewalk.
Car was Blocking traffic none the less, not surprised..!!

Mother in Laws Brand New Mini Cooper - back in 2006 - Full Transmission Failure with only 550 miles or so on the 2 Freeway in Los Angeles...
(so disappointing for her!)
(I have the Flat Bed shot on my home PC)

You have more of a chance of being stranded in a BMW product than a Lexus product...

You just might end up driving "The Ulitmate Un-Reliable Driving Machine"

Sorry, but its true.

- Joe Z
I wish you the best of luck if you buy it....

- Joe Z

P.S. - 2001 IS300- 112,500 miles & driving Strong for 6 years & 10 months.. NEVER left me stranded, NEVER needed a tow and NEVER in for major warranty issues or defects..
(Just small things like TSB Updates, CD radio, headlight moisture & coolant bottle.
All covered under OEM warranty.)

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-01-07 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 06-01-07 | 08:39 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

I almost got the bmw coupe, but I must tell you, those cars apart from being unreliable and over priced are just not luxurious enough for me, they didnt have the gadgets I needed, plus the I-drive apparently sucks big time. Everybody over in the bmw forums was having problems with the turbo pump or something, plus all kind of **** failing...
Old 06-01-07 | 09:12 AM
wrxrocks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
cvex,

We're not trying to talk you out of what you want to do, but a bunch of the fella's here have good points all around.

If you get out on the road everyday and floor it and like racing, then I say go for whatever you want, just expect $$$$ money down the road, because no matter the make, it usually gets expensive if you drive like that frequently.

For my wife and myself, when we're only putting 200 miles a month on the car, we could be driving a Civic, but luxury was a little more important.

Cars, like everything (except my wife, in case she reads this later) get a little old after a while.

Best of luck to you on your decision.

Old Oiler.

I agree with you about cars are getting old, but I disagree with you about the wife thing. My wife is getting old and I don't care if she reads this post

Quick Reply: What '07 is350 worth? trading it in