IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What '07 is350 worth? trading it in

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 03:47 PM
cvex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What '07 is350 worth? trading it in

I cant seem to find anything on the 07' on kbb or blackbook. My fiances just bought a 535i with the twin turbo. after driving this car for a few days I did not want to drive my 350 again lol. The IS is a great car , I only made 5 payments, but mannn , the new twin turbo is soo fun to drive. When I stepped on it, it barely reach 3k rpm and it pulls like hell without the loud whining noise like the IS has.

So therefor, Im looking towards a 335i coupe since she already have a 4 door.
Any help on where to get a trade-in value? I know its not a good idea to trade it but I dont want to go through the hassle of private sale.
Old 05-31-07, 03:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, be prepared to get raped, big time, in trading your IS350 in on a BMW 335i coupe. What exactly do you have on your IS, option wise?
Old 05-31-07, 04:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cvex
Any help on where to get a trade-in value?
If you trade it in, expect to get something around 10% below invoice, no matter how low the miles.

If you deal with a private party sale, expect to get invoice.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-07, 04:10 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is not object (or raping doesn't bother you), the 335i coupe is an excellent choice if not the best car to trade in your IS350.

The 335i twin turbo engine took the International Engine of the Year Award at the ninth annual international Engine of the Year awards in Stuttgart, Germany. My friend's stock 335i assassinated in cold blood by a full one second (1/4 mile) the IS350 (also stock).

Warrionex

BMW Twin Turbo Takes International Engine of the Year Award and Toyota Wins Best Fuel Economy Category

9 May 2007

BMW’s 3-liter twin turbo (earlier post) was named International Engine of the Year 2007 at the ninth annual International Engine of the Year Awards at Engine Expo in Stuttgart, Germany. BMW won two other category awards for its 2.5-liter inline six and 5-liter V10, in addition to having the twin turbo named Best New Engine.

The 62 automotive journalists from 30 countries who served as judges also named Volkswagen’s 1.4-liter turbocharged and supercharged TSI unit (earlier post) as best in the 1-liter to 1.4-liter class, with its larger sibling, the 2-liter turbo developed by Audi and applied in the Golf GTi and Audi A3, topping the 1.8-liter to 2-liter category.

Toyota meanwhile saw its 1.5-liter hybrid that powers the Prius named Best Fuel Economy engine and its 1-liter 3-cylinder from the Aygo and Yaris take the honors in the Sub 1-liter category. (Earlier post.)
International Engine of the Year Awards 2007: Winners

Winners by category

2007 Engine of the Year: BMW three-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Best New Engine: BMW three-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Best Fuel Economy: Toyota hybrid synergy drive (Prius)
Best Performance Engine: BMW five-litre V10 (M5, M6)
Sub One-litre: Toyota one-litre (Yaris, Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroën C1)
One-litre to 1.4-litre: VW 1.4-litre TSI (Golf, Touran, Jetta)
1.4-litre to 1.8-litre: BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (Mini, Peugeot 207)
1.8-litre to two-litre: VW two-litre Turbo (Golf, Audi A3, A6, SEAT Leon)
Two-litre to 2.5-litre: BMW 2.5-litre (325, 525, X3, Z4)
2.5-litre to three-litre: BMW 3-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Three-litre to four-litre: Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911)
Above four-litre: BMW five-litre V10 (M5, M6)

Last edited by warrionex; 06-01-07 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-31-07, 04:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are going to take a loss but the positive thing is there seems to be a shortage of 350's on the street from what i have read from other members. i would go talk to the dealer you purchased it from as they will re sell the car with a certified warranty. this may be the better option.

thought of trading back and forth between your fiancee and your car? this way you can have the best of both worlds???

i have to go drive that new BMW. that is what i was going to purchase but they wouldnt move on the price. i have heard good things about it and i had a 540 6 spd manual about 4 years ago and i loved the car. i must say i do enjoy the luxury you get in the Lexus where i think BMW lacks but they do have great cars.

Best of luck.
Old 05-31-07, 05:31 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Honest answer: it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it (period). No one is going to just hand over a bundle of cash for any car. If you want a quick & easy, no hassle transaction, just trade it in at the Bmw dealer when you get your 335i. Just remember, no pain - no gain. Best thing to do is sell it private party to get the highest & best value. Next best thing is to go get a free appraisal at CarMax, if you like the price, they'll buy it from you on the spot or give you one week to find a better deal. Good luck . . .
Old 05-31-07, 05:55 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
Honest answer: it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it (period). No one is going to just hand over a bundle of cash for any car. If you want a quick & easy, no hassle transaction, just trade it in at the Bmw dealer when you get your 335i. Just remember, no pain - no gain. Best thing to do is sell it private party to get the highest & best value. Next best thing is to go get a free appraisal at CarMax, if you like the price, they'll buy it from you on the spot or give you one week to find a better deal. Good luck . . .
SocalJD says it best as quoted above.

But, if you're not an older "relative to the group" fart like me, I'd say sell the car (the Beemer) and buy something a little more practical like say "another IS350". Take the extra money that you saved and go and buy Chevron, ExxonMobil, Marathon or a couple of other good oil company's stocks and get on the road to get rich quick!

But, if you've just got to have something to whoop the Beemer's butt, then wait for the ISF, and it'll probably be a little less.

Of course, these are just Old Oiler's opinions, you do what makes ya' happy. Again, refer to SocalJD's post.

Cheers and good luck on whatever you do.

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 05-31-07 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-07, 06:17 PM
RobbieR
Driver School Candidate

-Very high maintenance $$$ in about 4 years
-Problems reported of overheating in the new twin turbo
-No spare tire
-Run flats all around (50 miles maximum and very expensive to replace)
-No oil dipstick
-No engine temperature gauge
-Electronic gremlins continue to plauge the German brands

IMO, BMW started going downhill after 1995. My 1985 BMW has been rock solid reliable with over 200k miles. The reason? Limited electronics and simple mechanics.

FWIW, The boss and his wife both have new BMW's: a X5 4.4i and a 650i. Both have electronic issues and are in and out of the shop frequently.

If you haven't done so already, I would keep the IS.
Old 05-31-07, 06:33 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
If money is not object (or raping doesn't bother you), the 335i coupe is an excellent choice if not the best car to trade in your IS350.

The 335i twin turbo engine took the International Engine of the Year Award at the ninth annual international Engine of the Year awards in Stuttgart, Germany. My friend's stock 335i assassinated in cold blood by a full one second the IS350 (also stock).

Warrionex

BMW Twin Turbo Takes International Engine of the Year Award and Toyota Wins Best Fuel Economy Category

9 May 2007

BMW’s 3-liter twin turbo (earlier post) was named International Engine of the Year 2007 at the ninth annual International Engine of the Year Awards at Engine Expo in Stuttgart, Germany. BMW won two other category awards for its 2.5-liter inline six and 5-liter V10, in addition to having the twin turbo named Best New Engine.

The 62 automotive journalists from 30 countries who served as judges also named Volkswagen’s 1.4-liter turbocharged and supercharged TSI unit (earlier post) as best in the 1-liter to 1.4-liter class, with its larger sibling, the 2-liter turbo developed by Audi and applied in the Golf GTi and Audi A3, topping the 1.8-liter to 2-liter category.

Toyota meanwhile saw its 1.5-liter hybrid that powers the Prius named Best Fuel Economy engine and its 1-liter 3-cylinder from the Aygo and Yaris take the honors in the Sub 1-liter category. (Earlier post.)
International Engine of the Year Awards 2007: Winners

Winners by category

2007 Engine of the Year: BMW three-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Best New Engine: BMW three-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Best Fuel Economy: Toyota hybrid synergy drive (Prius)
Best Performance Engine: BMW five-litre V10 (M5, M6)
Sub One-litre: Toyota one-litre (Yaris, Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroën C1)
One-litre to 1.4-litre: VW 1.4-litre TSI (Golf, Touran, Jetta)
1.4-litre to 1.8-litre: BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (Mini, Peugeot 207)
1.8-litre to two-litre: VW two-litre Turbo (Golf, Audi A3, A6, SEAT Leon)
Two-litre to 2.5-litre: BMW 2.5-litre (325, 525, X3, Z4)
2.5-litre to three-litre: BMW 3-litre twin-turbo (335i)
Three-litre to four-litre: Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911)
Above four-litre: BMW five-litre V10 (M5, M6)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 335i a 3.5 liter motor? Interesting to note that Lexus pulls 306 HP out of their 3.5 liter motor without any turbos while BMW needs TWO turbos to get it done. I don't think Lexus has to hide from BMWs so called 'ultimate driving machine' when you compare the technologies in both.

BMW has always been about building cars for a narrow perfomance oriented crowd while Lexus appeals to a much broader base. If your needs put all out performance ahead of everything else a BMW is your car. As for me? My needs go far, far beyond 0 to 60 times which, in fact, are meaningless in real world driving other than for comparison purposes among the Motor Trend crowd.

Last edited by Gtidan; 05-31-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 06:55 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 335i a 3.5 liter motor? Interesting to note that Lexus pulls 306 HP out of their 3.5 liter motor without any turbos while BMW needs TWO turbos to get it done. I don't think Lexus has to hide from BMWs so called 'ultimate driving machine' when you compare the technologies in both.

BMW has always been about building cars for a narrow perfomance oriented crowd while Lexus appeals to a much broader base. If your needs put all out performance ahead of everything else a BMW is your car. As for me? My needs go far, far beyond 0 to 60 times which, in fact, are meaningless in real world driving other than for comparison purposes among the Motor Trend crowd.
Well said!!
Old 05-31-07, 06:57 PM
cvex
Driver

To me the trade-in value is fair, but I just cant find it. KBB only have for the '07 IS250. I know I'll get shafted one way or the other but at my BMW dealer, they are not moving very much cars so haggling for a better price will be in my favor . The day we bought the 535i, we were there the whole day and we were the only customer there all day, lol.

One said to switch back and forth, but damn, when I go back to my car its like driving a honda(well not really, you know what i mean).

I dont know but that TWO turbo sure give a nice kick of torque on the low end. When I punched it on the BMW(535i), @3,000rpm, it would give me the same power feel as the 350 @ 6,000 rpm. Great power ,while not making much engine sound(rev). Im not sure if this is the same for the 335i, although its the same engine. I gotta go test drive one real soon.
Old 05-31-07, 07:02 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well said!!
Indeed, it would have been well said IF it was accurate. However, the 335i is using a 3 liter engine, not 3.5.

And 0-60 times are a heck of a lot more meaningless than how quick a car is from a roll in real world driving... You see, in the real world, most people don't sprint to get up to the speed limit, however often times people do need a fair amount of passing power to pass slower vehicles, especially on single lane roads. Not saying that the IS doesn't have passing power, but the 335i has noticably more.
Old 05-31-07, 07:03 PM
freddymoo
Pole Position

The 335i twin turbo engine took the International Engine of the Year Award at the ninth annual international Engine of the Year awards in Stuttgart, Germany. My friend's stock 335i assassinated in cold blood by a full one second the IS350 (also stock).

wow, a german car won an award in germany...very impressive! haha not!

no stock 335i in this world or the moon can beat a stock is350 in 1 second...get the facts straight please.
Old 05-31-07, 07:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 335i a 3.5 liter motor?
Okay, you're wrong. (As Ramon already said...)

Despite the (misleading) 335i moniker, that car has a turbocharged 3 liter motor. (Not unlike the Lexus RX 400h, which has a 3.3 liter motor.)

Last edited by Bichon; 05-31-07 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 07:12 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

cvex,

We're not trying to talk you out of what you want to do, but a bunch of the fella's here have good points all around.

If you get out on the road everyday and floor it and like racing, then I say go for whatever you want, just expect $$$$ money down the road, because no matter the make, it usually gets expensive if you drive like that frequently.

For my wife and myself, when we're only putting 200 miles a month on the car, we could be driving a Civic, but luxury was a little more important.

Cars, like everything (except my wife, in case she reads this later) get a little old after a while.

Best of luck to you on your decision.

Old Oiler.

Quick Reply: What '07 is350 worth? trading it in