IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dash noise FINALLY fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 07:50 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash noise FINALLY fixed

Shop foreman said they pulled the whole dash assembly and insulated everything with felt padding and foam and so far so good its been noise free for a day now exept for that random pop sound comin from the 14th speaker hole in the middle of the dash,Happened once on the way home from Galveston to FM1960 today.

Usually makes that popping noise every few minutes anyway,wasnt to concerned about it.The creakin noise from the front left dash and where the middle air vent connects to the radio was driving me nuts.Took two trips to the dealer for them to firgure it out but they finally fixed it

As for the random pop from the dash speaker,earlier I cut the cheek pads outa one of my wrecked Arai helmets and shoe horned as much as i could into the little hole and popped the grill back on.Got a 55 mile trip back down to the coast tomorrow so ill let ya guys know if that will work,seriously doubt it will but it took less then a couple minutes to do anyway
Old 05-31-07, 08:23 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got this too. think i'll have them take a look at my 5k service
Old 06-01-07, 12:19 PM
is250girl
Driver School Candidate

i have that too! do you know what it is exactly? so i can tell them when i go in..
Old 06-01-07, 12:50 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

I have a rattle on the dash, driver side, in the corner. I can't figure out exactly where its coming from, but I've pin pointed it to that area. The thing that sucks is it comes and goes randomly.

I took it to the dealer and of course it wasn't rattling then. But last night it was driving me nut. I even tried to record the noise using my cell, but there was too much static and road noise to hear it.
Old 06-01-07, 01:41 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

there's a noise that comes from the driver's air vent and if i hold my finger in the vent it goes away ,, the sound comes randomly.. is that what you guys are talking about ? cuz that's not really annoying.i can live with it.

and there is another sound that comes from the center of the dashboard only when i run over those square things in the road that light when light is pointed at them( we call it cat's eye's) .. is it Normal?
Old 06-01-07, 04:17 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by DeviousOne
I have a rattle on the dash, driver side, in the corner. I can't figure out exactly where its coming from, but I've pin pointed it to that area. The thing that sucks is it comes and goes randomly.

I took it to the dealer and of course it wasn't rattling then. But last night it was driving me nut. I even tried to record the noise using my cell, but there was too much static and road noise to hear it.
I have this same rattle, dash has been pulled and insulated a number of times. Rattle has gone away for up to a month after a dealer fix but always returns.
Old 06-01-07, 05:50 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Originally Posted by is250girl
i have that too! do you know what it is exactly? so i can tell them when i go in..
From what the shop foreman told me only thing they can do is pull the whole dash assembly and go nuts with the felt and foam paddings in problematic areas they know about.He also told me my IS was the 4th one they worked on this past few months with the same noise complaint and the so far so good the fix has been holding up for the other owners.

btw stuffin the middle dash speaker with foam to stop the pop noise dont work lol.Counted 2 random POPs outa the whole day driving back and forth to Galveston,so not to bad.Used to make that loud pop everytime i ran over those square reflective thingys in the road or irreguler road surfaces
Old 06-02-07, 04:48 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Had the same work done on my 06 IS350 - massive quantities of padding and foam; the rattle is no more! They did it as warranty work under a TSB so there was no charge to me! Love the Lexus service from my dealership at least!
Old 06-02-07, 08:44 AM
is250girl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ToastedAzn
From what the shop foreman told me only thing they can do is pull the whole dash assembly and go nuts with the felt and foam paddings in problematic areas they know about.He also told me my IS was the 4th one they worked on this past few months with the same noise complaint and the so far so good the fix has been holding up for the other owners.

btw stuffin the middle dash speaker with foam to stop the pop noise dont work lol.Counted 2 random POPs outa the whole day driving back and forth to Galveston,so not to bad.Used to make that loud pop everytime i ran over those square reflective thingys in the road or irreguler road surfaces

oh alright, hm galveston? you live in houston too? did you go to westside lexus then? i'm waiting till they get the shipment for my cd player to come in then i'm gonna come in there and let them know about the cracking noise on the dash..thanks for the info =]
Old 06-02-07, 11:26 AM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

I live in Champion Forest on 1960 but my work is in Galveston,very long commute lol.I purchased and had my car serviced at Sterling Mcall Lexus.The service department in my opinion, outstanding.I liked being able to dropp my car off,tell the tech the problem and hop into the loaner and be on my way in 10 minutes,its nice

Was also gonna have the breakpads replaced but there on backorder till next week.
Old 06-03-07, 07:01 PM
is250girl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ToastedAzn
I live in Champion Forest on 1960 but my work is in Galveston,very long commute lol.I purchased and had my car serviced at Sterling Mcall Lexus.The service department in my opinion, outstanding.I liked being able to dropp my car off,tell the tech the problem and hop into the loaner and be on my way in 10 minutes,its nice

Was also gonna have the breakpads replaced but there on backorder till next week.
wow that is a loong commute! i'm in the NW side of town too ^^
hm mine was purchased at westside lexus, hopefully they know how to fix it =]

oh yeah, are you gonna use the original brakepads or are you getting the ones that has less brake dust?
Old 06-03-07, 08:20 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Less break dust pads for me.
Old 06-04-07, 06:11 PM
LazyPrince
Driver School Candidate

Yea I get that same pop sound once in a while but it doesn't bother me as much as the rattle, could it be cds in the slot?
Old 06-04-07, 08:17 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I would NEVER let them pull the dash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-07, 03:36 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

They ended up pulling the dash on my IS on visit #4. At least that's what they said they did. I don't have the paperwork yet to confirm. There was a wicked storm and subsequent power failure when I went to pick up the car. I was lucky to get the car. The paperwork will be mailed.

Anyways, I drove it a bit this weekend and all finally seems well. As far as I was concerned the noise was eminating above or behind the centre vents, over to part of the right side dash. I could semi replicate the noise just by pressing down on the dash area just above the vents. When I push on it now the noise is not there. Hopefully this will last.

Oh, and I got the brake TSB done as well. Washed it today. Let's see how long the wheels stay clean