IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual RWD 250 vs. +100 hp 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 07:32 AM
DaveM79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual RWD 250 vs. +100 hp 350

Hello everyone, I purchased a 2007 IS250 mainly because I wanted a manual car and I wanted a sport tuned suspension (X-2 package). I figured that the 100 hp wasn't a huge deal considering the IS350 (with sport package) was roughly 13k more than the IS250 with the X-2 package and that for 13k I could put a lot of work into the engine to make up the difference. What do you guys think or what was your main reason for purchasing the 250 or 350. Finally, if you did purchase the 250 what engine mods have you found to be the most beneficial?

All opinions are welcome!
Old 06-01-07, 07:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Club!

A lot of people have asked this question. A few have been from Canada.

There is no way you can get the same amount of power from a modded 250 that will cost less than the $13k difference. The 350 is definately a "bargain" for the amount of extra hp you get (as well as bigger brakes and a cabin air purifier).

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of significant performance mods out in the market yet, and most likely, people will focus on modding the 350, not the 250. Nonetheless, if you really want power, the 350 is the only way to go. If power is not your main focus, the 250 will do.

Good luck and keep us informed with your search for your IS!

P.S. Use Search for other questions you may have. You'll find a lot of information in our little Community...
Old 06-01-07, 08:23 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

same reason as yours, but later on i came to realize if i wanted a manual, i should've gotten a diff car because the IS250 manual is pretty crappy. But i don't regret it really since its one of those combos you dont' see often
Old 06-01-07, 08:55 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

There are only three RWD, Japanese sedans with manual transmission available in the US: The IS250, the G35, and the RX-8.

The G35 would have been about $2000 more, and I would probably have needed to do a special order (3-4 months) to get one with no options. It also has THE worst clutch I have ever experienced. Check out Edmunds reports on their long-term G35 to see what I mean. Plus, it's a pretty large vehicle, and I value small size for parking.

I LOVED the RX-8, and if it had a better reliability streak (or a piston engine) I probably would have gotten one. But, I didn't want to deal with the high oil consumption, appalling gas mileage, and flooding, plus there is no competent dealer nearby.

So, that left the IS250, which is what I got.

I thought about the IS350, but even if I could find one with only minimal options (xenon headlights, 18" wheels, trunk net/mat + wheel locks, and spoiler, which is what my car has) in my area, which I doubt I could, it is still at minimum $5000 more than what I paid. That is a serious chunk of change, and I simply didn't want to spring for that much at this point in my life.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-01-07, 09:05 AM
DaveM79
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys, but you need to read the first line of the post, I have ALREADY purchased an IS250, I was wondering mainly what appealed to people when they purchased an IS250/350 and whether driving a manual/RWD sport tuned suspension car played a role in purchasing an IS250. Finally, I was wondering what mods I could do to boost the IS250, I figured with the price difference I could add a few engine mods, boost the hp a little and still have what I wanted (manual transmission). A good manual driver can really suck the juice out of an engine, no power lag that people seem to have with the IS350. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 06-01-07, 09:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM79
Thanks for the help guys, but you need to read the first line of the post, I have ALREADY purchased an IS250...
Whoops!

In that case, enjoy the car now, and wait for future performance mods that will add lots of hp. Current air intakes, exhaust systems, and the such are ultra-expensive with little gain. Other than power, you can start modding the car by getting a better suspension, lighter and stronger wheels, grippy tires, and (of course) a TRD sticker that adds 10 hp!!!
Old 06-01-07, 10:39 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Whoops!

In that case, enjoy the car now, and wait for future performance mods that will add lots of hp. Current air intakes, exhaust systems, and the such are ultra-expensive with little gain. Other than power, you can start modding the car by getting a better suspension, lighter and stronger wheels, grippy tires, and (of course) a TRD sticker that adds 10 hp!!!
LOL HA HA HA HA!!!! Nice "save" philip!

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-07, 10:55 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveM79
Thanks for the help guys, but you need to read the first line of the post, I have ALREADY purchased an IS250, I was wondering mainly what appealed to people when they purchased an IS250/350 and whether driving a manual/RWD sport tuned suspension car played a role in purchasing an IS250.
Sorry if my answer was unclear. The factors that appealed to me for the IS250 were 6MT, RWD, price, country of origin, and issues with the other choices.

I don't have the sport suspension though, and it isn't really an option here in CA. But I am content with the ride + handling of the base setup.

I do agree on the manual really extracting power from this engine. I test drove an automatic IS250, and the manual feels like a totally different car.

On the mods, a forum member suggested that the 6MT in the IS250 is already almost near the threshold of all the power it can handle:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273631

The member sounds well informed to me, but I also admit that I am not technically inclined.

That said, I also think that PhilipMSPT's suggestion of lighter wheels is a really good one.
Old 06-01-07, 11:27 AM
rsx2is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Recluse
There are only three RWD, Japanese sedans with manual transmission available in the US: The IS250, the G35, and the RX-8.

The G35 would have been about $2000 more, and I would probably have needed to do a special order (3-4 months) to get one with no options. It also has THE worst clutch I have ever experienced. Check out Edmunds reports on their long-term G35 to see what I mean. Plus, it's a pretty large vehicle, and I value small size for parking.

I LOVED the RX-8, and if it had a better reliability streak (or a piston engine) I probably would have gotten one. But, I didn't want to deal with the high oil consumption, appalling gas mileage, and flooding, plus there is no competent dealer nearby.

So, that left the IS250, which is what I got.

I thought about the IS350, but even if I could find one with only minimal options (xenon headlights, 18" wheels, trunk net/mat + wheel locks, and spoiler, which is what my car has) in my area, which I doubt I could, it is still at minimum $5000 more than what I paid. That is a serious chunk of change, and I simply didn't want to spring for that much at this point in my life.

I hope this helps.
Hey buddy I'm not knocking you're chioce but you do know the V6 Honda Accord and V6 Nissan Altima are now both offered in 6-speed manual. As is both a TL Type-S and the non Type-S version as well.
Old 06-01-07, 12:57 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

to jump 4k to get 100hp more .. bigger and brakes... i think it was a deal... i didn't look at it from a 13k difference...also stock sport suspension on many cars aren't really all that great... i'd like to jus get my own set of coils anyways...

how are you gettin a total of 13k...

oh yea... is350 gets better gas than the manual... another selling point..
Old 06-01-07, 01:13 PM
josephlee
Driver

hahaha, i got the AWD Lux package...for that price, i could've gotten the 350 base. But im really happy with my car with all the extra gadgets. Plus I can drive it during Canadian winters where snow is a big problem. But too bad there aren't many mods for the AWD....not even damn lower springs..haha

But to those of you with ISX50RWD, have fun mod-ing your cars....
Old 06-01-07, 01:19 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

RSX he sed rwd not front wheel drive all those u named with a manual are front wheel drive
Old 06-01-07, 01:25 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rsx2is350
Hey buddy I'm not knocking you're chioce but you do know the V6 Honda Accord and V6 Nissan Altima are now both offered in 6-speed manual. As is both a TL Type-S and the non Type-S version as well.
Those are some excellent vehicles (I've driven the Accord V6 6MT, TL 6MT, and TL-S 6MT, and the V6 Altima with CVT), but I am really sold on RWD.

That unfortunately limits the choices dramatically (unless I wanted a coupe, and then there'd also be the G35 Coupe, 350Z, and S2000, plus the NSX if I hit the lottery ).