IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is My IS The Only One Without a Light Under The Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 05:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Underhood light? We don't need no stinkin' light. If you are caught at night with a disabled car there is nothing that you are going to be able to do. It's not like the good old days when you could replace a fan belt or a spark plug. Now you just call Lexus Assist and wait for help.
Old 06-01-07, 05:26 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Light under the hood I can live without hehe,but this is the first car I owned that didnt have a trunk light.
Old 06-01-07, 05:30 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

It does have a trunk light... mine was off by default, yours might be too. Go turn it on.
Old 06-01-07, 05:31 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Underhood light? We don't need no stinkin' light. If you are caught at night with a disabled car there is nothing that you are going to be able to do. It's not like the good old days when you could replace a fan belt or a spark plug. Now you just call Lexus Assist and wait for help.
You just hit the nail on the head. A light under there would have been a waste.
Old 06-01-07, 05:42 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

they are talking about a light under the hood of the engine. not the trunk.

Originally Posted by Koofteh
It does have a trunk light... mine was off by default, yours might be too. Go turn it on.
Old 06-01-07, 06:07 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Stuck my head in and looked up and found the switch...thanx
Old 06-01-07, 06:14 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

It's my fault for not quoting but you could have just paid more attention when reading this thread over.

Originally Posted by IS2506spd
they are talking about a light under the hood of the engine. not the trunk.
Old 06-01-07, 06:45 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a number of cars over the past 50 years. Some had under-hood lights, some didn't. I appreciated the ones that did. Especially when I was pulling a tent trailer on an all night trip and wanted to check the oil level at a small gas station (not well lit) at 2:00AM.

Do I need an under-hood light on my new Lexus? Probably not but it does seen to me that years ago features like that were a sign of an upscale car. My C5 Corvette has one! Oh, but wait, that's really only a plastic Chevy.
Old 06-01-07, 08:54 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Well, I guess if Lexus did decide to put a light under the hood that it would be an Adaptable Front Steering HID Zenon light that would cause third degree burns while fiddling around under there.

It would be nice for us Texan's who still like to cook dinner on top of the engine during a long trip.

Ever cooked a roast or baked some potato's in between the valve covers and block?

Just drive long enough and it can be done. There is actually a cook book on how to do this.

Next time you take your car in for service, let them know how well it works and watch the expressions when you tell them about the Prime Rib you just feasted on off the engine.

Old Oiler
Old 06-01-07, 09:18 PM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

^^^^Nowthats funny i don't care who u r!!
Old 06-02-07, 02:28 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

You have some interesting stories my friend... I guess you deserve the 'Old' moniker.

Top Gear featured Gordon Ramsay as a guest a few years back and they cooked a meal from a variety of different engines and he said they all tasted like crap.

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
Well, I guess if Lexus did decide to put a light under the hood that it would be an Adaptable Front Steering HID Zenon light that would cause third degree burns while fiddling around under there.

It would be nice for us Texan's who still like to cook dinner on top of the engine during a long trip.

Ever cooked a roast or baked some potato's in between the valve covers and block?

Just drive long enough and it can be done. There is actually a cook book on how to do this.

Next time you take your car in for service, let them know how well it works and watch the expressions when you tell them about the Prime Rib you just feasted on off the engine.

Old Oiler
Old 06-02-07, 05:41 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have some interesting stories my friend... I guess you deserve the 'Old' moniker.

Top Gear featured Gordon Ramsay as a guest a few years back and they cooked a meal from a variety of different engines and he said they all tasted like crap.
This reminds me of when I was in the Army years ago and we used to hang our MRE's (ready to eat meals that tasted like a@@ cold) on a stick about 5 feet behind a running M1 Abrahms battle tank while it was running to heat them up...actually worked quite well.
Old 06-02-07, 08:18 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

a bunch of GMs came with the light under the hood. its basically useless, all it does is drain the battery when the hood is up
Old 06-02-07, 08:21 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Usually larger trucks and SUVs have lights under their hood.
Old 06-02-07, 08:23 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wolverine
a bunch of GMs came with the light under the hood. its basically useless, all it does is drain the battery when the hood is up
I don't think it is useless and I wish I had it, espcially if you break down at night or something goes wrong at night kinda nice have to a light to illuminate all that plastic under the hood for us instead of trying to position a flash light. Kinda strange that cars don't come iwth it if you ask me. Takes nothing to add a toggle switch.

Quick Reply: Is My IS The Only One Without a Light Under The Hood?