IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accident - Could have been much worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 09:13 AM
shivt1988
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are any of you familiar with any legit body shop places in the North New Jersey area? I bought the car from Prestige, if that helps.
Old 06-03-07, 12:34 PM
khoongy
Driver

your insurance usually has a list of 'good' body shops that are partners w/ them.....but the body shop they told me to go to sucked. i would just keep asking around !
Old 06-03-07, 12:43 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The marks on the bumper looks like it's from the other car. You may be able to buff it out.

It's time to upgrade to 18" +
Old 06-03-07, 06:37 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

Thanks guys. I got her insurance information but I'm still waiting on police report to be finished and entered. After I get that, I'll call my insurance and tell them what happened. Do you really think that the rear bumper will have to be replaced (cause that would be sweet)? And, the rear bumper is black because the other car went through the wax, paint, and now its on the black part. Also, the damage estimater will be coming from her insurance company, right?
Old 06-03-07, 10:16 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

The bumper is repairable by DIY, but the wheels is hard to get fix.

For the bumper, try a combination of using buffing tool, heat gun, touch up paint, Langka products, and some liquid clear-coat solution from Pepboy... and 3 hours of time... then it should not be noticeable.

Good luck with the wheel. Maybe it is time to get some aftermarket wheels.
Old 06-04-07, 10:12 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

yeah...kickin8 is right have them check out you rear brakes and aligment too...remember OEM all the way!
Old 06-04-07, 10:47 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Sucks man, sorry to see that!
Old 06-04-07, 12:07 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Looks like you're going to need new x-package wheels (all four) and a new rear custom body kit. ; ) hehe
Old 06-04-07, 01:12 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

Thanks once again. I'm going to call my insurance company today and tell them to make the claim on the other insurance company. I also got the police report.
Old 06-13-07, 01:26 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

the insurance adjuster would never pick up her phone but i finally got in touch with her. she sent me to Troast Auto Body in Rockaway, NJ to get an estimate. They estimated that it would cost $817 but then i went to Tri-county lexus on rt. 46 which estimated that it would be $971. However, that it not the place where i want to get my car repaired--i want to get it fixed at Prestige lexus because they are pretty legit in terms of everything. the guy at Troast said he would send the estimate to the insurance company. What should I do now? Is it possible to get the repair done at Prestige lexus although the repairs might cost more than what the Troast estimate quotes? The insurance company would have to pay for that, correct?
Old 06-13-07, 01:43 PM
oklndman
Driver School Candidate

Get all the estimates you want and submit the ones you are willing to go with. If you are only happy with Prestige then tell her insurance agent that.

I had a similar incident occur in my old RSX and basically I contacted the other driver's insurance agent, told him I would get the quotes done myself, he said he had to have one of his field guys come out and take pictures of the damage, I agreed to that, and in the end I used the body shop of my choice, and it was the one with the highest quote. I received a check from the insurance agency in a few days and my RSX was done a few days later.

Don't ask these people anything, tell them what you are going to do and see how it goes. Tell them you are going to Prestige because that is where you bought the car and you want it repaired to their standards. Tell them you are not going to be willing to use an independent shop that you are only going to use a Lexus dealership's body shop and this (Prestige) is the one.

Good luck. It's never fun to deal with this kind of situation just remember it's your car and not your fault and don't let the agent tell you what you are going to do.
Old 06-13-07, 01:45 PM
oklndman
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to double post.

Also tell the guy doing the estimate for you to make sure not to miss ANYTHING.

Ask him if he thinks the paint needs to be blended in the adjacent panels to make sure for a perfect color match. Make sure you let him know you want a replacement rim, not a quick buff/scratch fill/repaint job. Tell him the accident wasn't your fault and you want your car "back to new" and he should understand.
Old 06-13-07, 01:49 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would clean up the bumper as best as u can, pocket the money and put it toward rims!
Old 08-29-07, 02:02 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

Back again. The insurance affiliated body shop quoted around $800 strictly for repairs and prestige lexus quoted around $1500 including repairs and a wheel replacement. However, the insurance company only gave me a check of $548. I called the person that hit my car saying that they tell their insurance to give me another $1000 or send me a check of $1000. What else can I do now?
Old 08-29-07, 02:16 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not familiar with accident/insurance procedures, but why did the insurance cut you a check without working with the selected body shop? Don't they work out the repair first?

Quick Reply: Accident - Could have been much worse