IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

navigation opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 08:45 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default navigation opinions

Hi... I really wanted Navigation because I think it makes the console and car look better inside! But didn't get it.

I talked to my fiancee since the vehicle is for both of us. She didn't want to get itand I agreed since we usually drive to places we already know how to go. Without the navigation I got the car under 30k before tax and fees. I used a Garmin before and my next GPS will have text to speech for sure, my understanding is that the Lexus navi does not have this. If I finance the extra $2000 navi for 4 years that ends up to be $40-$50 a month in the payment.. so I am glad to do without this expense but at the end of the day I think I miss the "cool" factor..

I want to hear why you chose with or without navigation? Do you think it will be kind of dated in 5-10 years?

I know aftermarket would be cheaper but it just is not in the same spot as the factory one.
Old 06-02-07, 09:10 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

NAV all the way!!! Many of the reasons people don't want to get it is because they know where they are going most of the time. You can use the same argument and just get a Corolla instead of a Lexus, it will get you to the same place and save you money. But you get a car like a Lexus for the overall experience, and that include the advantages of NAV. You'll be surprised at how handy it comes in in day to day driving. And you get the rear view camera as well, which is a bonus since the view out the back end of a Lexus IS isn't too hot. Just one avoidance of backing up over a kiddie will be worth it many, many times over.
Old 06-02-07, 09:23 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't get the oem navi mainly because i can spend $2k on more important items... I have a garmin I2 that i take with me on all my personal/business trips and absolutely love the portability of it. Not to mention free updates from the web and if i ever get tired of it, i can sell it on ebay and purchase a newer gps unit. The oem navi didn't interest me. Sure it's "cool", but owning this car is "cool" enough to me
Old 06-02-07, 09:34 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
but owning this car is "cool" enough to me
Since it's too late now as I didn't get the navi.. I do agree with you, my old car was a 84 celica so the 2IS is a huge upgrade Navi or not. I am thinking of getting a nice garmin Nuvi since I have 4 cars in the household it would be good to share. The thing is without text to speech I mess up occasionally especially at junctions so my next GPS will definitely want text to speech.
Old 06-02-07, 10:51 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is a good quality Nav these days? I know they used to be at least $800 so the price difference wasn't as great.

Yes, Lexus definitely makes a killing on the NAV, but remember, you don't pay MSRP for the options when you bargain for your deal. If you negotiate invoice + profit, then you're just paying invoice.

Oh, and you also get Bluetooth and the rear camera. And do people break into cars to take the portable GPS units? It's a hassle to have to put them away each time you leave the car.
Old 06-02-07, 11:22 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would get the nav pal... know alot of people that regret not getting it...

5-10 years yes it will be outdated but roads don't change THAT much.

(By the way my car's navi almost killed me twice.....but i wouldn't trade it in for an aftermarket navi)

and i personally dislike the IS's dash setup... the nav saves it from being ugly
Old 06-02-07, 11:23 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the way the is350s were packaged in socal was that you had to get the nav AND the ML sound upgrade if you wanted to sports package - which was what i wanted on mine. i ended up getting it that way, and if i were to do it all over again i'd get it the same way. i like the way the nav system is neatly integrated w/ the rest of the interior controls (hvac, audio).

IMO better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old 06-03-07, 03:44 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted nav and was willing to pay and wait for it, but it's not offered as an option on the 250 RWD in Canada so I went without.

I really wish I had it... found someone who is willing to provide the parts and help me do the swap, but I can't really go and slap down the money for the equipment now. It would've been a different story if I could have just got that in on the financing of the car...
Old 06-03-07, 04:50 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I also considered whether I should get the navi when I bought my car. I figured I would end up regret not getting it later down the road, so I dove in the deep end and opted to get it. I agree that the dash looks way better having the nav screen. There are a few benefits of having it though. Aside from the bluetooth and back up camera, you technically get a phone directory, as all destinations (restuarants, theaters, etc.) all have their telephone numbers listed.

I'll admit though, there's a good part of my decision to opt for the navi was the cool factor.
Old 06-03-07, 07:05 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Thumbs up

To me the navigation unit is worth it for the backup camera alone. I know that sounds like an expensive review mirror, but the IS is not the easiest car to see out of from the rear.

It sure makes backing into and out of spaces less "hair raising". I have fooled around with it some just to see what types of things are in "my neck of the woods" and low and behold there is a winery not too far from me! In Texas!

Other than that, passengers like watching it.

Old Oiler.
Old 06-03-07, 07:42 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

NAV was a must for me! i was wooed by the high tech features, including bluetooth, back up cam, voice activated commands, etc.. not to mention DVD functionality of the ML system..

in addition, anytime you get into this price range, NAV will definitely help resale.. i dont know about you, but when i see a lexus these days i almost expect it to have NAV.. just my opinion
Old 06-03-07, 07:57 AM
SpookJr
Rookie

1. Back up camer
2. Blue tooth option
3. Control audio, climate, display, audio, etc all digitally with touch screen
4. Nav is better than most aftermarket ones with more options
5. larger screen than most aftermarket ones
6. ML have the option to watch movies
7. Better resale or increase in value of the car
8. Looks better than those silly ones suction cup to the windshield (too me that looks tacky and cheap)

So yes you spend more for it but in the long run its worth it.
Old 06-03-07, 09:34 AM
andone
Lead Lap

Nav all the way even if I had to wait 5 months to get my car. In the end it is all worth it.
Old 06-03-07, 10:15 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SpookJr
1. Back up camer
2. Blue tooth option
3. Control audio, climate, display, audio, etc all digitally with touch screen
4. Nav is better than most aftermarket ones with more options
5. larger screen than most aftermarket ones
6. ML have the option to watch movies
7. Better resale or increase in value of the car
8. Looks better than those silly ones suction cup to the windshield (too me that looks tacky and cheap)

So yes you spend more for it but in the long run its worth it.
Good summation. I couldn’t agree with you more regarding that suction cup stuck on look—not on a Lexus.
Old 06-03-07, 10:51 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

For me, getting NAV wasn't so much because I just want it...it was more because I NEEDED it. I'm a Social Worker that travels all over the county that I work in, going from home to home so being able to hop in my car and just pushing a couple of buttons to get to where I need to is a Godsend. I can't fathom the idea of having to fumble around with the Thomas guide all the time, especially if I'm out doing home visits at night.

Before I had this car w/Nav, I would freak out being in unfamiliar places because one wrong turn and I felt like I was screwed. But now, it doesn't matter how many wrong turns I make, I know I can always find my way home. True you can buy those portable GPS devices but like the others have said, they just look tacky being suctioned to your windshield or sitting on the dash.

Btw, just the other day, my friend's car got broken into. Guess what they stole? His portable GPS! They smashed his passenger side window to take it. So for those of you that have the portable ones, put them away before leaving your car!

Quick Reply: navigation opinions