IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What sort of problems/incontinences is your 2nd generation IS encountering?
Excessive brake dust
62.64%
Wind noise
12.45%
Interior rattles
40.00%
Soft paint (easily chipped)
41.89%
Weak performance (OEM/Aftermarket)
10.19%
Excessive safety restrictions (on-move disabling etc)
19.62%
I have none of the problems/inconveniences listed above
9.81%
Other
15.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 02:17 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The ES350 also has design flaws in regards to wind noise. Here is a link that may help reduce such nuances:

Wind Noise DIY Fix (on ES350)

It is a DIY, but if you want to fix it, it's an easy $5 job with a few strips of velcro.
Thanks Philip great info! but i still don't get how the A-pillars area was fixed. I'll have to dig into this topic later on.

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Sounds more like you want LS quality, BMW performance, and magic paint that doesn't chip at an IS price...
lol hi there kfc, no not exactly, but I've driven lexus cars before and I thought that they were comfortable + quite = luxury cars. I guess there must be something wrong with my car because it is really noisy that every now and then i tend to subconsciously check that the windows are all the way up!

Many of the problems on this list should have been known before purchase via a test drive or some forum reading...
Unfortunately they don't give a test drive where I am at, and the forums only cover the 250/350 not the 300... 228hp is not bad amount of power but the IS is quite heavy and you can really feel it at low speeds... once the ECU is cracked, I'll overcome the lack of power one way or another. Don't get me wrong, I love the formula of the 2gen IS, and I would have gotten the car even if its price was significantly higher... this is a great car and it is what i am looking for right now, it is the manufacturing quality that i am not satisfied with.

Originally Posted by MLevinson
...but I have to ask what other vehicles are you comparing your concerns to...?
Hi there ML, Germen cars, I mostly had mercedeses and BMWs... but where i am living at right now (because of my job) is a very harsh weather environment for a Germen car so the lexie gets all thumbs up because of its reliability...

rfx45 it is ear-popping noise, I can hear the birds singing outside, shopping carts rolling, and even eve drop on people conversation in the next car if they had their window opened now that just can't be acceptable
Old 06-05-07, 03:42 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Well, the problem that I see is you're in SA and we're in N. America. If you can find a way to import (black market ?) a IS350 to SA, then ALL your problems will be solved and you'll love your IS as much as we do
Old 06-05-07, 03:43 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kattanh3
rfx45 it is ear-popping noise, I can hear the birds singing outside, shopping carts rolling, and even eve drop on people conversation in the next car if they had their window opened now that just can't be acceptable
Hmm, if it's ear popping, I wonder if one of your rear windows is completely sealed. The car does create a strange vaccum when the car is moving and only one rear window is open.
Old 06-05-07, 09:41 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

What is the brake dust TSIB??
Old 06-05-07, 10:10 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

the vacuum is not strong and it is only at high speeds.
Old 06-06-07, 01:02 AM
hengkoy
Rookie

Hmm, if it's ear popping, I wonder if one of your rear windows is completely sealed. The car does create a strange vaccum when the car is moving and only one rear window is open.
or it could be your moon roof
Old 06-06-07, 03:18 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Well, the problem that I see is you're in SA and we're in N. America. If you can find a way to import (black market ?) a IS350 to SA, then ALL your problems will be solved and you'll love your IS as much as we do
I would have if only I could use the warranty from over here.

Originally Posted by Chirodan
What is the brake dust TSIB??
Technical Service Information Bulletin, use the search tool you will find tons of threads about this
Old 06-06-07, 07:51 AM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Im with you...IMO I think people are just being way too **** about things, cmon things like rattling and wind noise?? Are you kidding me? Turn on the radio you wont hear anything, or if you have an exhaust system then you wont either. I cant believe how many people ***** about little problems. I know I will get flamed but I dont care, Ive already been flamed before here so oh well. Things like brake dust...didnt bother me, if you want an easy fix get new pads, done. Simple problems that need simple solutions.
"Too ****" is putting it waaay tooo nicely. Expectations not being met?? Sell it and buy (or try your luck with) something else. Geee's - It's a CAR. NEWS FLASH - Cars have problems no matter who or where it was made.

I hate to say it but lately the threads have been nothing more than b1tch sessions about the dumbest things... wind noise ?? - hhmmmm let's see - moving a large mass at a high speed - nah, you won't hear wind... come on already. Brake dust -- booo hooo - it's called washing. Soft paint - Huh? 1+ year and 22K - NO swirls, nicks, or chips. Guess what? If you tailgate anything on the road you WILL get stuff from its wake - Keep your distance.

What happened to all the wonderful DIY's, tips, etc. that got me interested in this forum in the first place? Have they all been exhausted and replaced with pansy whining about things that are normally expected of a vehicle in this class? Surely we can do better...

Last edited by XKronite; 06-06-07 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 06:11 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

brake dust TSIB? what is that?
Old 06-06-07, 07:53 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Only problem I have is that I have to get to work early to get a good parking spot in the parking garage (between a pillar and a wall). This eliminates the possibility of door dings and scratches from others parking near me. Hence, my wardrobe selection has fallen off a bit as I have less time to get ready in the morning, and press that fancy shirt of mine.

Oh well, at least I look good when I'm driving in and out of work.

Old 06-08-07, 10:51 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XKronite

"Too ****" is putting it waaay tooo nicely. Expectations not being met?? Sell it and buy (or try your luck with) something else. Geee's - It's a CAR. NEWS FLASH - Cars have problems no matter who or where it was made.

I hate to say it but lately the threads have been nothing more than b1tch sessions about the dumbest things... wind noise ?? - hhmmmm let's see - moving a large mass at a high speed - nah, you won't hear wind... come on already. Brake dust -- booo hooo - it's called washing. Soft paint - Huh? 1+ year and 22K - NO swirls, nicks, or chips. Guess what? If you tailgate anything on the road you WILL get stuff from its wake - Keep your distance.
I am happy for you that you're (most probably) one of the 15% not facing any problems or inconveniences with their car however I don't appreciate your tone. Apparently, I am having an abnormal wind noise issue and PhilipMSPT has placed a helpful post unlike yourself. Obviously i don't have all the problems above but I was just curious to see the statistics (which IMO are interesting).
Old 06-08-07, 12:40 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

kattanh3/
as i've got the same car you've got .. i will comment on every problem you said:

1-excessive wind noise: i certainly don't hear ppl in the next car talking or birds singing while the windows are closed , so i would recommend that you go to the dealer and tell them about the noise , they are great here in riyadh but im not sure about where u are.
i know other IS owners here that had noise coming from the moonroof,it's gone after a visit to the dealer.
there's a saudi IS forum and i've never heard ppl complaining about wind noise. i strongly suggest you bring your car to our dealer and get it fixed.

but i DO hear wind noise right after 140km/h ,, but not that loud.
and there is some road noise coming from the tires, but that can always be solved with new tires.

2- interior rattles:
i do have rattles.
there is a sound like a bee buzzing coming from the driver's air vent, but it comes only when the car was parked in the sun for a while then turned on the A/C .. 3 minutes and it's gone , and if i put my finger on the vent the noise is gone.
second there is a rattle that comes from the dashboard when driving on uneven roads.
mmm,, thats it with rattles.

3-soft paint:
no problems at all. it gets scratched only when it's scratched!

4- weak performance:
well, i wish it come's with the PWR mode as a normal mode, but i think it has enough power, if u want more just click that button and enjoy.

5-excessive safety restrictions
that's driving me nuts ,, especially that "I agree".!!!!!

6- brake dust:
if they did the TSB here, i wouldn't do it. why? because when i see it i get this feeling that i have powerful brakes everytime i see that dust. i Love it
===

look there isn't a perfect car, i do have some issues in the car but if they told me here you are: keys for any other car in it's class i definetly will NOT take it.
i love the IS ,looks,comfort,enough power and not too many of them on the streets so eye's are on me

if u get a chance to come to Riyadh let me know and i'll tell you where the dealer is.
Old 06-10-07, 01:11 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Hi there A.C Milan,

I hear that the branches in Jeddah and Riyadh are much better, you guys have an accessories department! sweet.

1. Wind Noise: I was told at the dealer said that the wind noise issue is normal, the technician was trying so hard to justify it that the conversation some how lead him to how this is needed for air pressure equilibrium between the outside and inside of the car!(lol, yeah right)... I am experimenting using different filling materials. I'll let you know guys how it goes.

2. Rattles: They are not a big deal at the moment, but the car has only 12,000 Km (7,500 Miles)... a bit too early for them to appear I must say.

3. Soft Paint: Most of my old cars had light colours, the only dark coloured car that i had was a black mercedes sec500 it had noticeable swirls a year down the line, while the IS had swirls all over them from the first month or so. I am currently sending my IS to Ziebart every 6 months to maintain my paint and reduce the swirls (I'll plan to learn more about detailing later on so I can get to do it myself). Chipping is not a big deal, I guess repainting the bumper every couple of years is not that bad. However this is the first time I've ever seen a small popped-air-bubble on my paint, the clear coat seams to be too soft. I hope the detailer will be able to fix this.

4. Weak Performance: The PWR mode helps a great deal indeed, especially at low speeds. I have the OEM replacement K&N filter and I just ordered a Tanabe exhaust system from the states, I'll let you know if the improvements are worth it.

5. Safety Restriction: Annoying... I plan to do the hack as soon as the next service is over and undo it every time i have to visit the dealership.

6.Brake Dust TSIB: it doesn't bother me.

All what I am saying is that for a new luxury car, my IS has many imperfections
Old 06-10-07, 02:39 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

doods, what is TSIB... im one of the lost members here... hhehe
Old 06-10-07, 02:50 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Wow, this is a crazy thread....I am certain any other Car Make/Model forum would show you threads along the same lines. Seems no one is ever completely satisfied with their choice. Brake dust is excessive however, given the brakes, understandable (not to mention if it bugs you that much-put different pads on); Soft Paint would bother me except that all new cars of recent years have paint issues...I try to mitigate this by parking far from others and not tailgating; Wind noise....this is a performance Lexus guys not an LS...I too notice some wind noise even with all windows closed however, if I get annoyed by it, I just drive my husband's M3 or his Supra and I quickly "get over it" - my dealership eliminated my "major" dash rattle with no fuss and no charge - Lexus is aware of the rattle problem and there is a Technical Service Bulletin out there that tells the Service Technicians how to insulate to solve the problem. Road noise, as others have mentioned, can be toned down by changing tires (do you really want to do that on a performance car?); MPG-I get 20-22 city and 26-30 highway depending on my driving habits on any particular day. Unfortunately, as others have said, this is still, first and foremost, a car and I think the only ultimate solution for anyone who finds all these issues to be too much is to sell your car and find something else...how about a thread re: what we all love/like about our vehicle?

Quick Reply: What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?