IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What sort of problems/incontinences is your 2nd generation IS encountering?
Excessive brake dust
62.64%
Wind noise
12.45%
Interior rattles
40.00%
Soft paint (easily chipped)
41.89%
Weak performance (OEM/Aftermarket)
10.19%
Excessive safety restrictions (on-move disabling etc)
19.62%
I have none of the problems/inconveniences listed above
9.81%
Other
15.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 07:26 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I've encountered the following problems with my IS. I've had her since December 2006.

1) CEL/VSC light issue. (Lexus claims it was a cracked gas cap that caused this).

2) Navigation system was placing me all of the place on the screen. I had them complete the Navi TSIB.
Old 07-10-07, 07:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems that "weak performance" doesn't really belong here. You all test drove the IS, and, presumably, some competitive auto, right? I drove the G35x--it has 100 more hp. Would I love it if my 250AWD had 50 more hp--absolutely. Do I need to punch the accelerator at every stop light because the car has 306 hp--no; and I'm less likely to do it if I don't have that power on tap. It was more important to me that the IS, IMO, looked much better, and had much better quality of materials. If you were expecting a car with 300 hp, and bought it with 200 hp, you are going to be disappointed.

I have not experienced any problem with road/wind noise. The IS is quieter in all respects than my old TL, even with the lower profile tires.
Old 07-10-07, 01:43 PM
lirandy
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake dust: i wash my car pretty often...that doesn't quite bother me that much. besides, the brake dust doesn't affect the performance that much so i dun really care about that.
Soft paint: probably the biggest problem i complain about this car. got several rock chipped, minor scratches just becoz the paint is too soft. pretty regret that i didn't get the clear bra when i got my car.
interior rattle: very minimal rattle on mine, and i think that's acceptable
Old 07-10-07, 01:49 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

The only problem i encountered is squeeks and rattles that shouldnt come across in any new car regardless of price.
Old 07-10-07, 03:16 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

i have a lot of brake dust, but i'm not lazy so i just clean the car fairly often. everything is going great with the car now, but less than a month after i bought the car my check engine light came on and the O2 sensor had to be replaced. it's an 07 and it had less than a thousand miles on it when the light came on. it's running great now and i'm still glad i picked it over every other car in the price range.
Old 07-15-07, 09:40 AM
contourrob
Driver School Candidate

How about 3 transmissions? (11 months, 33k miles so far)

Brake dust, paint chips and interior noise are nothing compared to grinding gears!
Old 07-15-07, 05:04 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

That's pretty good. That's about the tranny replacement schedule I was one with my old BMW. Is it a stick?
Old 07-19-07, 04:08 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by contourrob
How about 3 transmissions? (11 months, 33k miles so far)

Brake dust, paint chips and interior noise are nothing compared to grinding gears!
you obviously don't use the car for a grocery getter! i would have to try to break that many transmissions.
Old 07-19-07, 04:39 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Other than the brake dust, I have not had a single problem. But now that I've had the new pads put on, it's perfect, but then again, I've had it for 10 months (07 model) and it only has 2100 miles on it.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 07-25-07, 09:35 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why online forums are great for car buyers its great that owners from all over can voice their opinions and experiences with the cars they bought

I must say I still own my 1997 ES300 and the damn paint looks like its near new!

Its a great solid quiet car....maybe Toyota had something to prove with the Lexus brand back then with the quality of its vehicles and now that they have a name the paint quality has gone down.

But I am looking to get either an IS350 or an C6 corvette....and looking at the issues the Lexus has vs. the Vette...

I must say Toyota will be getting my $$ once again...I defected and wanted power and got a 2003 G35 coupe new in Sept of 03 (put on only14.6Kmi)...after a bunch of issues with multiple crap and the crappiest service I sold it in DEC.2006

The vette has more serious issues than the LEx and the G is crap point blank...

So when I'm ready I think I'll be back with Toyota...sorry I ever left ...rattles and squeaks is nothing compared to unfixable uneven tire wear, Rack and pinion assemble gone at 5K, trannies, leaks, clicking axles, power window motors gone (only to be replaced with same crap unit) and dealers constantky giving you crap when you just want your car fixed under warranty.
Old 08-29-07, 10:27 PM
GRAPHyte
Driver School Candidate

2007 is250 driving while windows down and radio off. A small loose bracket sound while going over quick bumps and road reflectors.

My car is currently at the dealer getting the emergency brake shoes and tensioner adjusted to fix the sound. Apparently, an issue with 2007 is 250
Old 08-30-07, 12:43 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I really didnt understand why "weak performance" was out on the list of "problems".

It really doesnt qualify being that there are two models of the IS and soon to be 3 models of it...

if you wanted "performace" DUH- buy the 350 obviously

My thinking is that people who wanted the look and reliability of the Lexus IS got the 250
and those that wanted the look, reliability and speed got the 350

only makes sense...why buy a 204 HP car and want speed when there is a fresh 306 hp out there for you- -same look basically

and if ya want more wait for the IS-F....which is gonna be SICK by the way!!

anyways..my 2 cents...LOL
Old 08-30-07, 01:30 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Only two things:

Soft Paint = got a clear bra.

Brake Dust = fixed with TSIB

If you have problems with rattles or wind noise, it's a matter of simple physical diagnostics. Then you fix it. There is always a fix for everything.

Totally agree with you.
So far Lexus has sold over a 100,000 IS250/350 and only about, what?, a 100 are on this forum. And out of that number how many are just whiners? Maybe 25..............so who says 'more and more are complaining?' Not me.

10,000 miles
30/32 MPG highway
No rattles
Mirror is just fine
Tires wearing great
Road noise? (its the tires, stupid)
No paint problems
No windscreen problems
Brake dust? Their going to fix it. (At least they do something, BMW, Mercedes you just suck it up and live with it.)

The car has exceeded my expectations to date..

One recommendation to Lexus: Fix the visors so they extend when you them on the side glass.
Old 08-30-07, 02:09 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, after reading the GS/ES forums, i see that they have their own sets of issues with their cars. So even though i have some of the issues mentioned in the poll, overall I'm happy with the car.
Old 08-30-07, 04:29 PM
Noliwan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecr527
So far I've encountered the following problems with my IS. I've had her since December 2006.

1) CEL/VSC light issue. (Lexus claims it was a cracked gas cap that caused this).

2) Navigation system was placing me all of the place on the screen. I had them complete the Navi TSIB.

I had the exact same problem with your #1 issue-- Wife drove through a water puddle and the CEL & VSC warning lights came on and would not clear... Took it to the dealership for warranty service-- they found th A/F sensor bad and replaced it that explains the CEL but didn't say what cause the VSC to not clear also... regardless they fix the problem and got a free car wash also... great service...

No problems yet with the NAV system...

Quick Reply: What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?