25.00%
39-49
6.70%
50-65
1.64%
66+
0.60%
Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

How Old Were You When You Got Your First Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 11:19 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackblack7
That's great. It really is. You should be proud. And you're doing better than most your age.

But seriously, read your posts 10 years from now and you'll understand. It's not even worth arguing about, imo, because you probably won't listen.

This reminds me of the scene in Good Will Hunting when Matt Damon thinks he knows all because he's read all the books. But Robin Williams shuts him down because, you know, there really is nothing like experience.
well put. i realize there really is no way for me to comprehend what many of you are saying. i can't understand something that isnt there i guess.
Old 06-16-07, 11:29 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LoL not to be jumping in this thread but im also a young man who has definatly experienced more then the average kid my age and what not but still like all the older crowd said 10 20 years from now if this sites still around and i look at my post i will laugh... Thats just life something you cant buy or touch and thats whats so great about it.
Old 06-16-07, 08:54 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

If you STILL think you know everything when you hit 40, it just means that, despite your age, you are still a teenager. I had read a lot of books when I was 18 too, and I thought that I knew everything about everything. When I grew up, I put away these childish thoughts

For me, the really amazing thing about life is that no matter how many people tell these kids that they don't know everything and that their life won't be that different from the experiences of the people that came before them, the only way they will learn and understand this is by experiencing it for themselves.
Old 06-16-07, 09:42 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

What's funny is when I first posted my comments on this thread, my intention was truly to try to make the young owners realize how lucky they were and to try to make them appreciate and respect the ride.

I'm 46 and still waiting to feel grown up. I learn something everyday, sometimes from my 16 year old.

I do agree that I see many young people working with me buying so much on credit and getting in a hole that they will never get out of. They say, I'm paying my bills...yet they continue to use more credit, and they get deeper and deeper in debt. I always had the rule that we would make payments for the mortgage and cars, but credit cards are paid off monthly. We also invest and save. It has worked for us, and we have had a great life.

My parents always had a nice car and home, but appearances aren't everything. They would always having to struggle to make the payment. Their friends drove their cars in the ground and fixed over homes. They became rich. On the flip side, my parents had nice things to enjoy all of their lives, their friends had lots of money but the wife died before she could enjoy the fruits of her labor. There are many ways to look at things. A nice balance is best. We buy nice cars...then drive them as long as we can.

Now there's one thing that we ALL have to agree on ... no matter what age we are, we all have great taste in cars! Don't you think?
Old 06-16-07, 10:28 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mir
Don't you think you are better off now with a doctor wife ?

Time shifts our priorities !
Indeed, the investment in medical school was well worth it, even though we were barely scraping by in a 1 bedroom apartment with 700 square feet of living area.

We kinda laugh about the whole experience now.
Old 06-17-07, 12:02 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i love you guys. no matter how different we are, one thing still brings us all together. the big L.
Old 07-05-07, 01:17 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mines when i was 17 own it too
Old 07-05-07, 11:50 AM
VietBaka
Driver School Candidate

Owned my first at 24...Second will be the IS-F
Old 07-05-07, 03:50 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

my is350 is my first car ... i got it a week before my 17th birthday.
Old 07-05-07, 03:56 PM
GB Packfan
Driver

Never driven one until I test drove my car little over a month ago. I am 34. I am not old but some of you make me feel old. Lucky bastards.
Old 07-05-07, 06:54 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

was 16 when i got my audi a6, traded it in at 17 almost 18 and got a 2000 es300 im turning 19 july 30, i really love the is350s, but im inlove with the LS430s, and i did pay for both my cars.
Old 07-05-07, 08:40 PM
jobber99
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Geezus! There is more to life than knowing about jewelry, watches, and cars. That IS the problem with people in their teens to early 20's these days. Your quote above illustrates the point perfectly.

Sorry, there are some things that you will only learn with age. For example, instead of blowing my wad (cash) on a $42K car when I graduated college, I invested the money I had. It was right in the middle of the tech boom of 1997 to 2000. The $42K that I would have blown instead multiplied many times over, and I wound up building a house with it...a house that I could have paid off in cash if I wanted to. I didn't have this mindset when I was a teenager.

Instead of getting your daddies to buy you a $42K car, why don't you ask for a $20K car, and ask that the other $22K be invested for you? You can then have a down payment ready to go when you graduate college and buy your first home. Better yet, drive dad's jalopy for as long as you can, and ask that the full $42K be invested for you. You'll be amazed at the stash you will have in a few years.

Regardless of what anyone says, a car is a HORRIBLE investment, and one in which you are guaranteed to lose your money on from day 1. However, with age, you learn how to manage your money (and maybe even the money that is given to you), so that you can buy whatever you want whenever you want. As an example, every car I buy is paid for in full on the day of purchase. I walk into a dealership and write a check in full. That is because at this stage of life (I'm 33 years old now), a car purchase requires only a small fraction of my family's annual income.
great quote. i too felt a car was a HORRIBLE investment. a good car is one that retains 40% of its resale in 7 years. i told myself, i would not purchase a luxury car living in an apartment, that just didn't fly. so after my wife and i bought our house, we got a pair of Lexus (IS250 and RX400h) within a year of each other.
driving a Maxima and a Geo Prizm for many many years prior to that, invested money wisely, graduated college, worked hard for a good job, etc.
then bought the house and then the car.

oh yeah, age? i guess age 29 when we got the IS, 30 when we got the RX. had never driven a lexus prior to this. drove an integra, that was as "luxury" as i got.
Old 07-06-07, 10:17 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jobber99
great quote. i too felt a car was a HORRIBLE investment. a good car is one that retains 40% of its resale in 7 years. i told myself, i would not purchase a luxury car living in an apartment, that just didn't fly. so after my wife and i bought our house, we got a pair of Lexus (IS250 and RX400h) within a year of each other.
driving a Maxima and a Geo Prizm for many many years prior to that, invested money wisely, graduated college, worked hard for a good job, etc.
then bought the house and then the car.

oh yeah, age? i guess age 29 when we got the IS, 30 when we got the RX. had never driven a lexus prior to this. drove an integra, that was as "luxury" as i got.
My wife and I have switched our cars out over the past couple of years. She gave birth to twins in September 2004, and we promptly bought a 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan (fully loaded). Prior to that, she drove a 1997 Maxima. We tried out the Maxima with the kids for a month before buying the van, but concluded that the double stroller and all that goes with having boy/girl twins requires more room in the car than what we had.

Prior to my IS purchase in April, I was driving a 1999 Toyota Corolla, which was the butt of all ridicule among my coworkers (especially when I valet park). Not exactly luxurious by any stretch.

Valet parking is actually fun now...my car gets parked in the front lot with all of the other finer automobiles.
Old 07-06-07, 04:37 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Well, Lexus at 32.
Acura at 28
Honda from age 18

My first real expensive car was my S2000 that I bought the day it was released in the USA (waited 3 years for it). It was $37000 ($5000 over msrp) when I was 26ish.
Old 07-07-07, 12:29 AM
2IS250
Driver School Candidate

I was 15 when I got my first lexus. It was an ES 250 1991. I got it in 2001. It was what inspired me to get my is250

Quick Reply: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Lexus?