IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Random post. Comparing my ES350 loaner to my IS250

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 08:25 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random post. Comparing my ES350 loaner to my IS250

I doubt most of you care and/or you already know what the ES350 is all about, but I thought I'd post anyway.

Well the 350 engine is definetly quick, however during the two days I had it my MPG was 4-5 lower then my 250 for the same stop and go commute to work. The engine was also louder and I swore I hear knocking, but that may be because its a loaner that gets beat up and served 87octane. No regrets getting the 250, and no I didn't skip the 350 because I can't afford it. I skipped because I drive like a granny most of the time and grind away in stop and go commuting traffic every day.

Not having Vdim override was also a bummer. I couldn't break the rear end loose no matter how hard I tried. I can see why you 350 guys love that feature in the '07s. As soon as a slight slippage started when cornering hard under acceleration the car completely cut power.

The handling on the IS is so much tighter and crisp. I realize these are to totally different cars marketed to different demographic/interests, but I felt like I went from a Lincoln Continental into a F1 car when I got back in my IS.

I'd also previously wished the IS had a wood trim steering wheel, but now I don't . The leather grip is much more inviting IMO.

Obviously the exterior styling is much more aggressive and pleasing to us IS owners, but the interior of the IS is also way more lux then the ES in my opinion. The wood trim was very plastic looking. Why didn't they use the same stuff as in the IS? The silver/aluminum accents on the IS also give our interiors more "pop" IMO. The shift lever with the wood trim on the back instead of chrome like we have looked like poop.

The one thing I did like about the ES that I wish the IS had was the outside temp on the bottom of the multi-display in the gauge cluster. I usually leave my display on outside temp, but if it were at the bottom I could leave it on something else and still see the temp.

Overall the ES felt like a pimped out Camry to me which is probably why I opted for the IS250 over the TL. I already own an Accord EXV6 and the TL felt like a fancy Accord to me. I love my Accord, but I'll admit the styling is very bland. I needed something nicer..hence the IS

Drive Safe
Old 06-05-07, 09:11 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
I couldn't break the rear end loose no matter how hard I tried.
The ES is front wheel drive.
Old 06-05-07, 09:16 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting the ES later for a loaner car, I am going to go jack the clear door lenses.
Old 06-05-07, 10:08 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cspec
I'm getting the ES later for a loaner car, I am going to go jack the clear door lenses.
Thats what I was going to do until I realized that they still had my car so I could not swap them.
Old 06-06-07, 06:38 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

What's a clear door lense?
Old 06-06-07, 06:52 AM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Now that's a review! "Drive like a granny" and "Looks like poop" definitely made it entertaining! That's my kind of review.

My parents didn't know that we were looking at an IS250. I never tell them when we're looking at cars because they'll go in and say, "That's what my daughter's looking at. She just loves it!" and they'll ruin my deal. They went in to replace a headlight on their 1997 ES300 and came home with a new ruby red ES350. It's a beautiful car, and I'm happy for them, but it just isn't my kind of car. The IS sort of hugs you and you feel like you're part of it. You're the driver. I felt like the ES was a parade float compared to the IS and that it did what it wanted. Powerful, yes. Just not for me.

Don't tell them that though.
Old 06-06-07, 09:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish my IS had all 4 door handles tied to the keyless, like the ES. But thats the only ES aspect I covet.
Old 06-06-07, 10:46 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd rather have the ES 350 than IS 250.
Old 06-06-07, 11:02 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I'd rather have the ES 350 than IS 250.
Not me, not by a long shot - check out the tranny issues. Numerous CL members have had their ES350 bought back by Lexus and either left the fold or upgraded to a GS. Besides a true enthusiast knows this:
Attached Thumbnails Random post. Comparing my ES350 loaner to my IS250-fwd-sucks.jpg  
Old 06-06-07, 11:05 AM
rroy
Pole Position

LOL, nice one socalJD
Old 06-06-07, 11:08 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im glad i have my IS350 but i cant help but look at the new ES350, its a really nice car and lexus did a nice job revamping it. As for ppl talking about the door lens, dont goto lexus, goto a toyota dealership part #81230-47010, it'll be much cheeper.
Old 06-06-07, 11:32 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I wish my IS had all 4 door handles tied to the keyless, like the ES. But thats the only ES aspect I covet.
I've had 2 ES loaners so far, one with HID's and the other without. The one with halogens was awful. The one with HID's was great. Both headlights swivel in both directions and their range of motion is much greater.

That's about the only thing I covet.
Old 06-06-07, 01:02 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

I had an ES350 as a loaner. It was very nice, but I think it's pretty much a car that's perfectly designed for people who hate to drive.

The straight-line power was nice, though.
Old 06-06-07, 01:19 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

I also had an ES350 loaner. Much faster than my IS250, but overall felt very high off the ground and doesn't give the same appeal to me. The 300 dollar wood steering wheel does feel nice though. When shifting up I noticed the sport gearing was alot more responsive than the IS 250's. I noticed the brakes don't have excessive dust as my IS once did before TSIB.
Old 06-06-07, 03:02 PM
josephlee
Driver

haha, i have both, and I think they are really distinguished for 'good ride quality' versus 'sporty' lux entry level cars. I usually drive the ES for roadtrips or when theres more than 2 ppl. Till now, I have no transmission problems. I guess its the way how ppl drive it? I heard most of the ppl who drive their ES hard have that problem. But hey, its an ES, its not meant for wild driving. You gota enjoy the comfort. As for the IS, I have an AWD version. Cornering is fabulous. Although lacking some power during uphills, I think this car is well balanced with the 2.5L engine.
Well, interior design...I like both of them. Again, its on two ends of the spectrum. Once you hop into the IS, you feel the adrenaline rush starting with the gauge needles revv-ing up once. With the ES, its more quiet and relaxing. With the navi in the ES, the front climate-audio panel seems more complete than without the nav. As well, an advantage goes to the passengers at the back with the full glass roof.
Here, I like to say that both the ES and IS are from Lexus, in the same price range (for the IS350). However, they are two different cars with two different dreams. One is towards space, comfort, luxury equipments whereas the other is towards performance and style.

But hey, its just my 2cent

Quick Reply: Random post. Comparing my ES350 loaner to my IS250