IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

turning off DRL

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 05:51 PM
bbroom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning off DRL

i am going to the dealer (lexus of glendale) this friday to have my DRL turn off.

on the phone, they sounded kind of hesistant to do it, but i told them it's one of the LPS settings. They told me to come in anyway.

any tips in case the dealer refuse to do it ?

thanks
Old 06-06-07, 06:02 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Talk directly to the tech doing the service, don't run it by the service manager first. That's how I got mine "fixed."

I went in to register another set of TPMS, and while he was plugged into the OBD, I said, "You know, while you're at it...."

Management will flat-out refuse to do it, since it's not on the pretty Lexus-approved pamphlet of things that can be personalized.
Old 06-06-07, 06:03 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, try to convince them that they won’t be liable if you have an head-on accident after turning off this safety feature.
Old 06-06-07, 06:04 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

haha my dealer refused =(
Old 06-06-07, 06:09 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

I was at Glendale not too long ago and I talked directly with the service advisor. I begged him to do it but he flatly refused. He probably was BS-ing but he told me that corporate had sent out a letter to all techs informing them that they are NOT to do it no matter what the customer says.
Old 06-06-07, 06:32 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

I got Kuni here in Denver to turn mine off. I just showed them where to look on the tool and they did it
Old 06-06-07, 09:59 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I was at Glendale not too long ago and I talked directly with the service advisor. I begged him to do it but he flatly refused. He probably was BS-ing but he told me that corporate had sent out a letter to all techs informing them that they are NOT to do it no matter what the customer says.
Ya I got the same load of poo poo from a different dealer... said it was going to be law that all cars that are capable of having DRLs will HAVE TO have them on... and that if i wanted to turn them off i need to contact Lexus HQ and have written permission from them blah blah blah blah. Customer Service #1 my behind. I had most trouble with Lexus service dealer than I have had with any other car service dealer.
Old 06-07-07, 01:05 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are in Norcal go to Magn, they are friendly and did it in 5 minutes.
Old 06-07-07, 02:00 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you should have them drive out to your home or workplace to set your lps... provided you're not too far away. then ask the tech to do it. that's what i did... even provided the print out on how to disable it using their computer tool.
Old 06-07-07, 02:18 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not interested in debating the effectiveness of DRL, but which states require DRL's? Most of the states I've checked don't require DRL either on the state or federal level. Many states require the use of the headlights in bad weather or when you use the windshield wipers though. That said, if there is no law that mandates the use of DRL in the USA, why would Lexus be held liable?
Old 06-07-07, 03:10 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

they're just lazy
Old 06-07-07, 08:55 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Not interested in debating the effectiveness of DRL, but which states require DRL's? Most of the states I've checked don't require DRL either on the state or federal level. Many states require the use of the headlights in bad weather or when you use the windshield wipers though. That said, if there is no law that mandates the use of DRL in the USA, why would Lexus be held liable?
I’m not a lawyer, but in our litigious society where accident victims are looking for “deep pockets” I can see where they would go after a dealership, or Toyota themselves, that turned DRL off as a contributing factor in causing an accident. I would also assume that a jury would award substantial damages on that basis. I’m frankly surprised that any dealer would agree to turn them off considering the potential liability to them even though the lights are not required by law.
Old 06-07-07, 10:05 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I just wrote on the LPS sheet at the bottom the additional features I wanted adjusted that weren't on the sheet already. the Tech took care of it all in the back. My service advisor didn't even look at the sheet...he just passed it on to the tech.

Also when you do your LPS...it would be a good time to program your extra TPMS sensors if you plan on getting rims.
Old 06-07-07, 10:23 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Why would you want to turn it off in the first place? I love mines...
Old 06-07-07, 11:14 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine turned off the day I got my car... Dealer did it for me right then and there... They were like "Wow, I didn't know that could even be done!" (I had the printout showing how to access DRLs in the scan tool since they didn't know how to do it)

I left the the copy of the printout showing how to do it so they could turn off the DRL's of anyone else who wanted it done... All the service reps were like "This is great information, thanks!"

Quick Reply: turning off DRL