IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Sport Pakage and ML Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 11:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffj
Where is the information that states you can not have luxury package and x-package together (if you wanted the wood interior trim and the sport suspension).
If you try to order the two packages together, there will be a "conflict" because of overlapping and conflicting options within the package. All cars have option/package lists, along with "restrictions" that will not allow certain packages to be offered.

For example, the Sport Package (and X-Package) specifically supplies the aluminum trim, and Luxury specifically supplies the wood trim. Combining both packages would have conflicting trim options, therefore cannot be done.

Another example are conflicting wheel options for the IS250 and IS250 AWD. You can try to order the 18" wheels for the IS250, but that option/package is unavailable/conflicting with the IS250 AWD.
Old 06-07-07, 11:52 AM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PhilipMST - thanks for the response. I also edited my previous post to add a question about the Mark Levinson radio. If you order the Mark Levinson without navigation, can you play DVD audio?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-07, 11:53 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Newbie here, so I acknowledge the higher level knowledge on this board. Thanks to evitzee for the pictures, especially of the interior. That is the FIRST picture I have seen of the metallic interior trim.

According to the 07 IS brochure, it does not say that the Luxury package and X-package are mutually exlussive. I have also asked some dealers about this combination, and they have not stated that it could not be ordered.

Where is the information that states you can not have luxury package and x-package together (if you wanted the wood interior trim and the sport suspension).

Also, if you get the Non Nav & Mark Levinson radio, will it play DVD audio?

TIA

Cliffj
Good luck finding "official documentation" from Lexus on any of this...

The following are facts (trust me, I am 100% correct):

1) You can get either X-Package, Sport Package, or Luxury Package. Those 3 cannot be combined in any way, shape or form. Sorry.
2) The only way to get wood interior trim with sport suspension from the factory is X-Package + Premium Package
3) Non-ML will not play DVD anything (i.e. - Non-ML = CD Changer; ML = CD/DVD Changer)

Hope this helps.

PS - I hate the wood trim
Old 06-07-07, 12:13 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here, so I acknowledge the higher level knowledge on this board. Thanks to evitzee for the pictures, especially of the interior. That is the FIRST picture I have seen of the metallic interior trim.

According to the 07 IS brochure, it does not say that the Luxury package and X-package are mutually exlussive. I have also asked some dealers about this combination, and they have not stated that it could not be ordered.

Also, if you get the Non Nav & Mark Levinson radio, will it play DVD audio?
Ah, a newbie - we were all once newbies, the innocent enthusiasm for a new Lexus, if only we could turn back the clock (but I regress).

Don't take a printed brochure as absolute gospel, and don't completely trust every word uttered by a salesman, ever. The '06 IS brochure proclaimed that Sirius satellite radio and an HKS hi perf exhaust would be available options, both didn't happen and only recently became available in 2007.

As for the bundling of options, refer to Technique's post above (also checkout his website in his sig, he's done some great mods to the IS).

As for ML w/out Nav, it will be the standard 6 disc CD changer, so No it cannot play Dvds of any sort, but you can play Mp3 . . .
Old 06-07-07, 12:16 PM
j|michael
Driver

I think that the ML is well worth the money. And that is coming from someone who has always had aftermarket systems with 3000 watts +. With a more mature car I've decided to stay away from the overpowered system, but still enjoy some good bass and overall power. The ML, though not very high powered, does have a good broad range, and very decent bass. As mentioned, it is also under warranty! In fact my sub blew out (i wasn't sure what it could actually handle...) and Lexus warrantied it, no questions asked.
Old 06-07-07, 12:23 PM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response guys. It looks like I will favor a sport package/ML/XM/rear spoiler. Probably looking at Tungsten/black.

I would like to have Bluetooth, but don't want to pay 2K to get bluetooth bundled with Nav. I know I am also giving up the DVD capability. I'll have to think about that one.....

Cliffj
Old 06-07-07, 12:26 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Thanks for the pics Evitzee! Gee, the non-wood interior looks sharp! The front, side, and rear ground effects looks great also, I'll certainly check that box.
Now the next big question, Lexus HKS exhaust or aftermarket HKS, Greedy or Tanabe. LOL No drone and not raspy, a deep note exhaust seems to fit this car best. Oh, and the wheel decision... LOL

All of your feedback is wonderful! Thanks so much.
Old 06-07-07, 12:26 PM
j|michael
Driver

Thanks for the response guys. It looks like I will favor a sport package/ML/XM/rear spoiler. Probably looking at Tungsten/black.

I would like to have Bluetooth, but don't want to pay 2K to get bluetooth bundled with Nav. I know I am also giving up the DVD capability. I'll have to think about that one.....

Cliffj
The ML with nav should come standard with bluetooth. mine does. correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's just part of the package, just like DVD capability is.
Old 06-07-07, 12:28 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Cliffj
ML+NAV is the greatest option ever... It is the #1 option that people regret not getting with their IS... Think twice before you do this, you'll most likely regret it...
Old 06-07-07, 12:28 PM
windfall12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socalJD
As for ML w/out Nav, it will be the standard 6 disc CD changer, so No it cannot play Dvds of any sort, but you can play Mp3 . . .
ML system is 5.1 surround, this does not make any sense if all you can play is lame 2.0 CD and MP3. I can't believe it.

Also, ML website does not mention anywhere that system has to be coupled with Nav to play DVD:
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=is
Old 06-07-07, 12:31 PM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

j|michael - I believe you are right. What I am saying is that I don't think you can get bluetooth as a standalone item. You must order navigation to get the bluetooth. It would be nice, if you did not want the navigation, to be able to just add bluetooth as an option. This just became available as a standalone option on the BMW 335i for about $500 (which also is bundled with BMW's version of Onstar called BMW Assist).
Old 06-07-07, 12:38 PM
j|michael
Driver

j|michael - I believe you are right. What I am saying is that I don't think you can get bluetooth as a standalone item. You must order navigation to get the bluetooth. It would be nice, if you did not want the navigation, to be able to just add bluetooth as an option. This just became available as a standalone option on the BMW 335i for about $500 (which also is bundled with BMW's version of Onstar called BMW Assist).
After I posted I realized that you were considering the ML without the Nav.

Keep in mind that aside from the obvious DVD and bluetooth capability, the nav option also consolidates all of the controls into a beautiful visual display. Everything from the climate control to the stereo display to the many added features such as calander, maintanance timeline.

I'm in a loaner ES350 right now because they're replacing a bad HID ballast on my car, the the difference between standard dash with the cluttered assortment of displays and controls and the sleek design of the touch screen is astounding. To me, just the aesthetics of the option is worth the 2 grand! The car feels more alive. okay, maybe i'm going a little too far
Old 06-07-07, 12:40 PM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

windfall - I hope you are correct. I would like to play DVD's audio without having to get the navigation.

One of the reason's I am not real interested in having the built in navigation is that I plan on getting the Nuvi 370 or 670 (wider screen). They both have the European maps included beside the US and Canada, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. I travel to all those places, except Canada, fairly regulary. I can then just throw the nav unit in my suitcase and use it when I am traveling. My daughter has the Nuvi 360 and it is great. I can also use it in any of our cars. The after market Nav units have gotten really good, and can be programmed while moving.

Also, it is only about $500 on the internet now (including bluetooth), and I can toss it in a few years when the technology takes another leap forward and not be out a lot of money.

Cliffj
Old 06-07-07, 12:54 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I don't think you can get ML without Nav. ML uses the Nav screen, it's not a Nav system + screen, it's all one unit. The audio system is plug and play, however. If you take apart the whole thing you will see that the audio system is not attached to the screen/nav system.
Old 06-07-07, 01:02 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

So many wrong answers being posted here... Let me clear things up:

Yes, you can get NAV by itself.
Yes, you can get ML by itself.
Yes, you can get NAV+ML <-- And this is the ONLY way to get DVD capabilities. The option code is "VN".

I am 100% correct here. Believe it.

Quick Reply: IS350 Sport Pakage and ML Stereo Question