IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tread question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 01:51 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've heard, Discount Tire is so-so. It depends on the shop. I'd personally watch every move they make. Mag wheel machine, proper balancing, and I'd check the tire pressure with my own gauge when they were done. Also, you may want to find out the proper torque specs for the lug nuts and have them mount the tires to spec as opposed to just raming them on there. I always did that with the S2000. Another thought to add...when it comes to tires, I have found it worth the extra $100 or so for the proper rated tire from a reliable manufacturer. I'm not sure which tires come OEM from Lexus, but I'd bet that the OEM are quality tires.

Don't forget the alignment. Again, I'd watch them closely. I've learned from experience not to settle for "well, it is in the green which is acceptable". If one wheel is in the green to the right and the other in the green to the left, I found it makes a difference in handling.
Old 06-07-07, 01:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
Middle of the tread...
Is the head supposed to be completely covered? Or just partially? If it's only partially, it looks like you're still good to me...
Old 06-07-07, 02:35 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

First off, 06Lex, from those pix your tires don't look bad. W/out seeing all 4 and how each is wearing, looks like you have time and don't need to panic. Regarding a tire shop, check out Tire Rack, they have recommended installers in every city. Pick the top 5 that are closest to you, call each one and speak to the manager. Ensure that they can handle the Tpms, 18" alloy rims & 40 series hi perf tires. As for tires, definitely don't skimp, IMHO tires are the only contact b/w the car and the road, so you'd want the best available for your specific driving habits/style . . .
Old 06-07-07, 02:50 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Can't be as bad as mine

That was about 200 miles ago. Now it has about 8 lines of those. Does anyone know what that is? Tire wear indication? I know it's dangerous thats why I switch off with the ML. I must drive the IS at least once a week.
it's down to the core! go replace it now!

if you keep on driving, the core will wear out and the tire will eventually explode......
Old 06-07-07, 02:53 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
Thought so. I might go after work today. If I go to a place like Discount Tire (one near my office), can they change them out including TPMS and align them? Does anyone have a recommendation/stay away vote for Discount Tires?
i know they are capable to do TPMS stuff but i dont think they do alignment.....
Old 06-07-07, 03:16 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Is the head supposed to be completely covered? Or just partially? If it's only partially, it looks like you're still good to me...
if the top of lincoln's head shows on the penny test, you need new tires.

if the top of lincoln's head is covered, you're still good.

and if the steel belts are showing (a la Hartawan's), you're past due for new tires.

Hartawan> you need an alignment job. that right there's uneven wear...
Old 06-07-07, 06:16 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is bone stock, non sport package. About 2 months ago it started showing and my wheel shop told me that the rims I ordered was coming in about a week so I didn't bother to change. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and there was a big problem.
So I reordered different rims that would only take 1 month to wait, so I decided to wait and not drive the IS that much (only about 300 miles in the past 4 months). Rims should be coming soon.
Old 06-07-07, 06:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Regarding a tire shop, check out Tire Rack, they have recommended installers in every city.
Agreed. I've received good prices and good advice from the Tire Rack. Plus they help support many online car forums, including (I think) Club Lexus.
Old 06-07-07, 09:48 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is bone stock, non sport package. About 2 months ago it started showing and my wheel shop told me that the rims I ordered was coming in about a week so I didn't bother to change. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and there was a big problem.
So I reordered different rims that would only take 1 month to wait, so I decided to wait and not drive the IS that much (only about 300 miles in the past 4 months). Rims should be coming soon.
Your alignment is screwed up. If you don't have it checked, that'll happen to your new tires. Take it in.
Old 06-07-07, 09:49 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
it looks like you're still good to me...
I agree. I would use those through the summer and change them out for the fall.
Old 06-10-07, 05:17 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Can't be as bad as mine

That was about 200 miles ago. Now it has about 8 lines of those. Does anyone know what that is? Tire wear indication? I know it's dangerous thats why I switch off with the ML. I must drive the IS at least once a week.
Damn! Mine, too. I've been lazy when checking my tires, but your picture made me actually *turn* the wheels and check again. Can't upload a pic right now, for some reason, but my right front looks just like yours, Hartawan! Have you checked the price of an alignment at Lexus dealers, yet? Guess I'll get all new tires, now, too.