IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Ticket in IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 11:39 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

14 months, no tickets.

IMO it's all about how you drive and how familiar you are w/ where you're driving. i'll take a few more liberties on roads i drive on on a regular basis, since i would have pretty much figured out where the speed traps are. on roads i don't drive on on a regular basis, or on unfamiliar roads, i stick to the speed limit and follow the law.

oh, and based upon my experience of getting written up for speeding, never lead or be the only car on the road speeding. your chances are better if you're sitting in the middle of a pack of speeders.

or better yet, don't speed at all.
Old 06-11-07, 11:04 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comming from my previous car... 99 mustang cobra convertable... which was also extremely loud... long tubes... no cats... I feel like the police are completely ignoring me in my IS i swear a few times i messed up and pased a cop going like 15 over... and they didn't even do anything... if i was in my mustang i would of gotten a ticket each and everytime... i miss the mustang but not the bad attention it got from the po po.
Old 06-11-07, 01:14 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Bah, cops are not looking for a 4 door sedan(unless you have a gigantic spoiler). If you have the G35 coupe or the RX-8... then you might be a target.

I have been followed for miles several times in my 3000. I have a stock exaust and legal tint.
Old 06-11-07, 01:29 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh.

7 Months finally got busted! Was moving outside of traffic in a straight away and got cited for Speeding and Reckless Driving. LOL first two tickets. Basically going to traffic school for the reckless and paying the speeding. It was bound to happen.
Old 06-11-07, 01:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I got a speeding ticket a day after I bought my IS but that was just because I was testing the car. Now I try to stay close to the speed limit. The problem though is the fact that just a little tap of the gas pedal gets me 15 MPH over the limit. Many times I catch myself speeding and have to slow down.
the YELLOW ring comes in handy. I like that feature!
Old 06-11-07, 02:32 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hapaboy
where'd you hit 103 in OC at?
I was on the 5s fwy in south county, 2 mins off of the Avery Pkwy exit. That stretch of hwy from Lake Forest exit down to Avery Pkwy, it's highly patrolled by the CHP. If you're ever in that neck of the woods, don't speed. I've seen many people pulled over by that area a lot.
Old 06-11-07, 02:56 PM
ZD-Lexus
Driver

13 years so far with no tickets (knock on wood). I hope I can keep it this way. I will track my car one day and enjoy the thrill. My buddies tell me that I drive like a grandmother! (I don't know when going 5 miles above the posted speed is considered driving like the elderly, but people are nuts on the highway these days..) The bay area average highway speed is around 85mph. I am on the slow lane going maybe 70 mph and people zoom past me.

At the risk of sounding self-righteous (as though the paragraph above didn't oose with it ) I say this: drive carefully and save gas, drive safely and spare lives. Think of the possibility of living with the fact that you have taken someone else's life all because of a few seconds of adrenaline rush. Not worth it.
Be safe...
Old 06-11-07, 02:58 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Well said.
Old 06-11-07, 03:00 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in My 250 i got 2 tickets withina week. the first ticket was going 70 in 55( construction zone) thank God no workers were present. Dismissed cop didnt show at court. econd tiket going 82 in 60 , took defensive driving. Recently got a ticket in my 350 for no seatbelt ( I live in Texas, during the summer they crack down on that stuff). im going to court tomorrow does anyone know if this will be dismissed if the cop doesn't show since this is a non moving violation? if not ill let you guys know after tomorrow.
Old 06-11-07, 03:06 PM
ZD-Lexus
Driver

Good luck. My understanding is that if you admit to the charge your sentence will be lessened. A point on a ticket takes 4 years until it is purged? What stings the most I think is the insurance rates going through the roof. Please keep us posted
Old 06-11-07, 03:08 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Not even worth going to court for a non moving violation all they want is money only reason i go to court is to rid myself of the points they want to give me.
Old 06-11-07, 04:20 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

If you drive the speed limit where I live, you will get run over or run off the road. Hence, I do speed slightly but no more than +5 mph over the speed limit. I've never been stopped in my new IS, but I've been stopped before for going 10 mph over the 70 mph speed limit on I-10. No ticket was given to me, as I informed the cop that it was merely self defense because I was being tailgated by a Texas hillbilly in the SLOW lane. I got annoyed when he kept flashing his high beams at me, so I sped up to get away.

The cop actually did notice the guy behind me when I was pulled over. Why didn't he simply pull the REAL offender over?

I have a clean record with no tickets and no accidents. I plan to keep it that way. Besides, I like my car and don't want to risk anything bad happening to it.
Old 06-11-07, 06:10 PM
tw88
Rookie

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
My PBA card was for 2006, I don't know why I didn't show it to the cop anyway, maybe it would of worked. I always have my windows down when i see cops or when I'm driving on local, but like i said I had the tints for only one day I couldn't roll down my window without messing up the install. Well anyway, tinted window is not the problem right now. I received the 6 tickets on LIE westbound in Nassau County near exit 34 I think.
I thought they couldn't ticket you for window tinting unless they had a light meter and tested it on the spot?
Old 06-11-07, 08:21 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tw88
I thought they couldn't ticket you for window tinting unless they had a light meter and tested it on the spot?
Yes. The second he pulled me over I had to roll down my window. Luckily my tints did not get messed up. Then he stuck the meter on my window to check the percentage.
Old 06-11-07, 10:41 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

I just saw that this thread is going strong. "Ticket car" was in reference to the car being red. The relatives that joked about it to us have a red car too and had heard it from their friends. I guess they think it's an eye catcher.

As far as speeding, I'm usually pretty good on the major highways, it's the town driving with roads that used to be 55 that have changed to 45 or in some cases 35 that are going to get me in trouble.

I have had one ticket 29 years ago (knock on wood) when I first got my license. I was going down a hill in NJ in my Vega. If you rolled down the hill in it and didn't give it a little gas every now and then, it would stall and the power steering would lock up. I was going 42 in a 25. I cried. It didn't work. If he had ever driven a Vega he would have let me go!

Quick Reply: First Ticket in IS