IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual vs. Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 10:05 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
BINGO. I hear a lot of people saying that they wish they had a manual transmission for the "performance" aspect that it offers... The fact of the matter is that performance-wise, the automatic transmission wins every time. There are virtually no cars that, identically equipped, are faster in manual transmission form than in auto. In fact, most of your ultra-performance supercars don't even offer manual transmissions as an option anymore - it's purely an enthusiast "fun" preference.

Javier
Not quite. You can't heel-toe with an auto. Depending on the transmission, a lot will shift for you when you want it to stay at high RPMs. If you plan on adding tons of HP, most auto transmissions cannot handle the load of the increased hp/tq.. With a manual, you can simply change the clutch and you will be fine. While autos can be great, let's not forget that they are much more limited. Repeat after me, performance is not just 0-60, 0-100, or 1/4 mile.

Which Ultra Performance Supercars don't have manuals? MOST???
Old 06-11-07, 11:37 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Most "manual" transmissions offered in high-end exotic sports cars are actually DSG, SMG, or some variant of a clutchless transmission - hence the popularity of today's paddle shifters. (See new Ferrari's, anything AMG, Corvette C6, most of Audi's top-end USDM offerings - the list goes on and on...) For the non-professional driver, a performance automatic transmission delivers superior shifts every time. The new SMGII transmission delivers shifts in 80 milliseconds. If you can shift gears in 80 milliseconds, my hat's off to you. Hey, I like rowing through gears just like everybody else... but performance automatics are superior (in shifting) to manual transmissions.

Javier
Old 06-11-07, 11:57 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Most "manual" transmissions offered in high-end exotic sports cars are actually DSG, SMG, or some variant of a clutchless transmission - hence the popularity of today's paddle shifters. (See new Ferrari's, anything AMG, Corvette C6, most of Audi's top-end USDM offerings - the list goes on and on...)
Didn't you say ultra-performance supercars? The only Audi that is an ultra performance super car isn't out yet. The C6 is not a "super" car. Don't confuse a clutchless transmission with a cushy automatic found in a Lexus.

For the non-professional driver, a performance automatic transmission delivers superior shifts every time. The new SMGII transmission delivers shifts in 80 milliseconds. If you can shift gears in 80 milliseconds, my hat's off to you. Hey, I like rowing through gears just like everybody else... but performance automatics are superior (in shifting) to manual transmissions.
That's nice but we're on the subject of the ISx50 transmission and its automatic is nothing like a SMG or DSG. BTW, SMGII is old. SMGIII has been out for awhile now.

See bolded:
So after speaking with the Lexus sales guys and a bunch of other Lexus owners regarding the IS250 transmission, it seems that the following is essentially true:
Let me repeat again, it's not about how fast you shift. It's about control. The Lexus Automatic transmission is nothing like a SMG/DSG/Tiptronic, etc.
Old 06-11-07, 12:12 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
If you plan on adding tons of HP, most auto transmissions cannot handle the load of the increased hp/tq.. With a manual, you can simply change the clutch and you will be fine.
LOL what a over simplification. Dont give the 2fast2stupid generation ideas ok?
For those of you who dont know cars, theres alot more to worry about after you've put on your 'racing' clutch.

Snapping a stock axle is alot better than snapping a stock driveshaft under acceleration, a broken driveshaft sure does alot of damage in a rwd car, trust me I know. Those 2 things are just the first of your driveline mods from the clutch on back. Frame reinforcement is another overlooked item... Theres no end once you start, IF your gonna do things right.
Old 06-11-07, 12:25 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
LOL what a over simplification. Dont give the 2fast2stupid generation ideas ok?
For those of you who dont know cars, theres alot more to worry about after you've put on your 'racing' clutch.

Snapping a stock axle is alot better than snapping a stock driveshaft under acceleration, a broken driveshaft sure does alot of damage in a rwd car, trust me I know. Those 2 things are just the first of your driveline mods from the clutch on back. Frame reinforcement is another overlooked item... Theres no end once you start, IF your gonna do things right.
Well, it depends on how much HP you want.
Old 06-11-07, 02:37 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMGs still use traditional auto boxes for the most part... nothing clutchless about it.

anything AMG
Old 06-11-07, 03:13 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

While AMGs make tons of horsepower, I don't consider them Ultra Performance SuperCars. Mercedes is known for luxury and are sticking by their marquee.
Old 06-11-07, 03:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Didn't you say ultra-performance supercars? The only Audi that is an ultra performance super car isn't out yet. The C6 is not a "super" car. Don't confuse a clutchless transmission with a cushy automatic found in a Lexus.
You're caught up in semantics... Who cares if the R8 is out yet or not? It doesn't make it any less of a non-manual transmission - it's still an "R-tronic", sequential gearbox. But since Ferrari's, Audi R8's, RS4's, and Corvette's are not "performance" enough for you, consider this prime example: the Bugatti Veyron, arguably the fastest car in the world. 987 horespower. 922 ft/lbs of torque. Transmission? Seven speed DSG. I do agree with you, however, that manual transmissions offer certain benefits over automatics (namely complete control), and in certain discrete applications having a true manual gearbox is the way to go... But as we all know, having complete control is not always the best thing.
That's nice but we're on the subject of the ISx50 transmission and its automatic is nothing like a SMG or DSG. BTW, SMGII is old. SMGIII has been out for awhile now.
I couldn't agree more, and that's my point exactly. As modern transmissions get better and better, the "performance" reward for getting a true manual becomes smaller and smaller. If a manumatic-type setup gives you full control over the transmission and uber-quick shifts, what's the advantage of a manual then? In the case of the 2IS, it's surely not gas mileage anymore - the 250 MT gets 20 and 28 mpg, while the 250 AT gets 24 and 32 mpg, respectively. Until someboy starts laying down laptimes in an IS250 MT that's equal to or faster than an identically equipped auto, it can only be called a "fun feature"...

Oh, and you're right about me going off topic... sorry!!!

Javier
Old 06-11-07, 03:31 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't agree more, and that's my point exactly. As modern transmissions get better and better, the "performance" reward for getting a true manual becomes smaller and smaller. If a manumatic-type setup gives you full control over the transmission and uber-quick shifts, what's the advantage of a manual then? In the case of the 2IS, it's surely not gas mileage anymore - the 250 MT gets 20 and 28 mpg, while the 250 AT gets 24 and 32 mpg, respectively. Until someboy starts laying down laptimes in an IS250 MT that's equal to or faster than an identically equipped auto, it can only be called a "fun feature"...
It sounds like we are both agreeing on the same principle then.

I agree modern transmissions are getting better and better. If the ISx50 were to have a DSG type transmission I don't think we'd be having this debate.

Did I mention most of my previous cars were all manuals until my recent BMW 335i with the Steptronic? I am not a fanatic manual or nothing type of person. I just think there is more to a good automatic than a fast shifter.
Old 06-11-07, 03:47 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^^Agreed - that's why I love this forum - gearheads can get together and talk CARS!!!
Originally Posted by Koofteh
AMGs still use traditional auto boxes for the most part... nothing clutchless about it.
Unless I'm missing something, all these cars look like automatics to me... this is right off the AMG website:

And you can add the SLR McLaren to that list, too...

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 06-11-07 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added 2nd chart
Old 06-11-07, 03:53 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I thought you were saying that all AMGs had some sort of clutchless manual gearbox which is obviously wrong. I think you meant they all have paddle shifters though.
Old 06-11-07, 04:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So who uses automatic hmm lets see...the top rally teams subaru/ford/that french company, D1 pro drift cars, F1, NHRA/IHRA Top Fuel class cars, IMSA and a hella lotta more use automatic transmissions.
Old 06-11-07, 04:50 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mercedes has torque converter, therefore traditional automatic.

Did you know....
Only vehicle in the Toyota line up that was released with a true semi-automatic gear box was the MR2 Spyder Sequential.
Old 06-11-07, 04:53 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
So who uses automatic hmm lets see...the top rally teams subaru/ford/that french company, D1 pro drift cars, F1, NHRA/IHRA Top Fuel class cars, IMSA and a hella lotta more use automatic transmissions.
Big difference between automatics and semi-automatics.
Old 06-11-07, 04:53 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Koofteh
^ I thought you were saying that all AMGs had some sort of clutchless manual gearbox which is obviously wrong. I think you meant they all have paddle shifters though.
that thing is sooooooo fast that you dont even need a paddle shifter.......

drove my buddy's E55 (210) and that thing was simply.........fasttttttttttt

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Auto Transmission