IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Texas Dealers w/ Good Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 12:25 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just fired off the edmunds quote thing for San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. My dad did that when buying his M45 and got internet prices from 5 different dealers, two of which were really competitive.

My problem now is I'm running out of time and need to purchase a vehicle. I'm hoping one of these 10 dealers has a car that suits my need as well as a deal.

I'm also looking at the G35 still as well as the 335i (some people are reporting good lease deals there).

I don't know in my heart which car I want the most. I'm compelled to the G35 because I like it's looks, technology, and loaded price (although I'm leasing and residuals change what the prices really are). I love the 335i's performance and the way BMWs drive. Finally, I like the IS350s understated looks, Lexus build quality, and velvety quiet/smooth engine; the only bummer is a lack of a stick.

All that said, this is really going to come down to who can put the best deal together. The G35 would seem to have the advantage, but 6MTs are SOOOOO rare that they aren't dealing much. I've seen lease deals on the 335i all over the place over at bimmerforums.com. Seriously there are people who have $250 lease discrepancies for the same car (even after factoring in down payment). The Lexus lease deals appear to be similar to the couple G35 6MT Premium/Nav quotes I'm getting (since those guys are only giving like 1k off sticker, 1.5k at the most). If I can get 4-5k off of the Lexus sticker, then I'm in the game.

I'll keep you posted. I expect a swarm of emails tomorrow with deals.
Old 06-17-07, 12:32 PM
BrianV
Driver

Just found this:

Originally Posted by some user
In Nor Cal, my list was $43k, 36mos w/ 15k miles nothing down and no security deposits, $602 mos after tax.
If I can get that deal, I'll be in a Lexus this week. For comparison's sake, my current offer for a 07 G35 6MT Premium/Nav - list of 37,600 is at $613. 39 months w/ 15k per year. Negotiated price on that particular car is $36k.

What sort of negotiated price would be considered good on that? I think the list on the car I'm looking for is about $43k as well.

Last edited by BrianV; 06-17-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 12:57 PM
leegina
Rookie

I would bet you could get 4-5k off of that price. I got 4k off of mine without blinking an eye. I should of asked for more but once again I didnt push for it. I was so happy to get 4k that before he said yes I was signing everything on his desk!!!
Old 06-17-07, 01:07 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally Posted by leegina
I would bet you could get 4-5k off of that price. I got 4k off of mine without blinking an eye. I should of asked for more but once again I didnt push for it. I was so happy to get 4k that before he said yes I was signing everything on his desk!!!
leegina, which dealer?
Old 06-17-07, 01:21 PM
leegina
Rookie

I live in Austin and so it was Lexus of Austin. My Salesman said that they would not do that again but it was the end of the month and it was dealer stock it did not have nav or ml. PM and I will give you his name.
Old 06-17-07, 01:26 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally Posted by leegina
I live in Austin and so it was Lexus of Austin. My Salesman said that they would not do that again but it was the end of the month and it was dealer stock it did not have nav or ml. PM and I will give you his name.
Wow, I'm in Austin and the internet department guy called me and flat out stated he doesn't compete with other dealers and they sell at MSRP. He said he might be able to go $1k off, but that he doesn't compete with anyone.

He was actually really nice and spent a lot of time chatting despite knowing I'd never buy the car from him.

It's a shame, but I find that about most Austin dealers; since they're the only guys in town they feel they have carte blanche when it comes to pricing their cars.
Old 06-17-07, 01:43 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrianV
Wow, I'm in Austin and the internet department guy called me and flat out stated he doesn't compete with other dealers and they sell at MSRP. He said he might be able to go $1k off, but that he doesn't compete with anyone.

He was actually really nice and spent a lot of time chatting despite knowing I'd never buy the car from him.

It's a shame, but I find that about most Austin dealers; since they're the only guys in town they feel they have carte blanche when it comes to pricing their cars.
Read my earlier posts. you're simply wasting your time dealing with small time dealers in smaller towns. You'll never get a good deal in those places.

Would you drive to Houston to save $4k?
Old 06-17-07, 01:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's not forget that there is a lot of technical money in Austin with young 'up and comers' making nice coin for their age group. They tend to throw money around so they really don't care about getting the best price. That, coupled with only one dealer, and the next closest one in San Antonio, makes for a nice gravy train for Lexus of Austin. That said, I bought my car from a dealer in Houston, but have it serviced in Austin. They are very nice from a service perspective.
Old 06-17-07, 01:48 PM
BrianV
Driver

Yeah I've requested quotes from the three other major cities as well, but it's always nice to do business if town (if you can). Not with these guys.
Old 06-17-07, 01:57 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Yeah I've requested quotes from the three other major cities as well, but it's always nice to do business if town (if you can). Not with these guys.
Well, the merchants don't exactly care about your local money being spent in their dealership, do they? So why do you care about keeping your money local?

When I spend, I only care about getting the best deal on what I want. Even if that means going to timbuktu to get it.

If I were you, I would walk around the lot, and look uninterested when they give you a price. Tell them that you want to see the manager immediately, and inform the manager that you can get the same car for a price of "X" in California, and they can either choose to match it, or let you walk.

I speak from experience that a reasonable dealer that actually wants to sell you a car will bend over backwards to earn your business that day.

Gas is friggin $3.30/gal, and the car business is suffering right now.
Old 06-17-07, 02:01 PM
leegina
Rookie

Too be honest I was shocked at the deal but others have received better so it wasnt all that but maybe if you dealt with him instead of the Internet salesman it might work out for you. It was nothing to get that deal no negotiating or anything. He said how about 2 off and I said how about 4 and he wrote it down came back after talking to his Manager and said we were a couple of hundred off and then said this is not Lexus way to haggle and we shook hands and I picked the car up the next day. Well actually I got something like 3998.18 off of the car.
Old 06-17-07, 02:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
If I were you, I would walk around the lot, and look uninterested when they give you a price. Tell them that you want to see the manager immediately, and inform the manager that you can get the same car for a price of "X" in California, and they can either choose to match it, or let you walk.

I speak from experience that a reasonable dealer that actually wants to sell you a car will bend over backwards to earn your business that day.

Gas is friggin $3.30/gal, and the car business is suffering right now.
OP can try but your approach but it will not likely result in a fantastic deal at Lexus of Austin. Some dealers are more open to talking. If he pulls the California trick it is almost 99% certain that it won't make a difference.

Lexus dealers are not hurting for sales, their business is healthy.
Old 06-17-07, 03:26 PM
ckeck
Rookie

Call Matt Henry @ Lexus of Austin...he gave me some really good pricing.
Old 06-17-07, 04:33 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
OP can try but your approach but it will not likely result in a fantastic deal at Lexus of Austin. Some dealers are more open to talking. If he pulls the California trick it is almost 99% certain that it won't make a difference.

Lexus dealers are not hurting for sales, their business is healthy.
Well, it isn't a trick if such a quote is legit and a car can be had for the California price. I had quotes from California via email that I took to Houston area dealers, and gave them the option to keep my business in the area or let me walk.

Only 1 out of 4 was willing to negotiate...Sterling McCall. The rest couldn't give a rats about my business.

By the way, my salesman and I do talk regularly, and so I asked him why the deals on IS250's are so great these days. He says that Lexus is negotiating a bit more on pricing due to the price of gas at the pump to keep sales volume moving.

My salesman looked depressed the last time I saw him. He even gave me a free Lexus golf shirt and told me to drum up some business for him.
Old 06-17-07, 05:20 PM
BrianV
Driver

I'll see what deals I get around the state. I'll let Austin try and match the best one, but that's it.

I'll just tell them I'm going to Houston (or wherever) and buying for XXXXX.xx; I'll buy tomorrow at your dealer for the same price; make it happen or don't.

Quick Reply: Texas Dealers w/ Good Pricing