IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav hack on leased IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 03:15 PM
ckaught78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav hack on leased IS

I want to do the Nav hack, but my IS is leased. My question is if I perform the nav hack and put everything back to normal before returning the car, will they look behind the stereo during their inspection?
Old 06-11-07, 03:23 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckaught78
I want to do the Nav hack, but my IS is leased. My question is if I perform the nav hack and put everything back to normal before returning the car, will they look behind the stereo during their inspection?
Common do you really think dealers are that meticulous? If it works fine once you return it back to normal they won't question it and won't check it.
Old 06-11-07, 03:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you serious??? No dealer is going to pull apart your unit to inspect if anything was done. If you don't scratch anything up they won't bother. In fact, just leave it hacked. They aren't going to check to see if it has been hacked.
Old 06-11-07, 03:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be very cautious.

You cannot assume that the dealer will not notice it.

And considering that having a DVD player in front of the driver is illegal in most states, you'll be in deep trouble if the car cannot be sold by the dealer because of illegal modifications (same as having exhaust systems that don't pass smog checks, or even airbag stickers that were removed).

Paranoia is perfect awareness: be paranoid about such things, especially if the car is not completely yours...
Old 06-11-07, 03:56 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

They don't check... I recently returned my RSX as the lease was over. The only thing the girl at the dealer did was walk around the car to make sure it wasn't like heavily damaged.

She said nobody bothers checking out these cars properly, because even though you got it from the dealership and return to the dealership when the lease is over, the car actually belongs to the financial arm of the car maker, so the dealer has no reason to check out leased cars thoroughly.
Old 06-11-07, 04:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just make sure that any changes you make you return them to OEM status before you return the car. you never know when they may check the car and you did sign a legal contract that says you may not alter the car. try to do things that are plug and play so you can just remove and plug back the factory stuff. this has always worked for me.

like others said its not the dealer that is responsible for the check. i had a dealer offer me the dvd hack...they dont care they want to make money!

i want to do the same on my car but i hear ya! i just havent had the time to even look into it.

good luck!
Old 06-11-07, 06:30 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you should just make a hybrid nav DVD....
Old 06-11-07, 09:36 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

When they notice that things are amiss with your car, they will go on a serious witch hunt for anything they can find wrong.

Don't take your chances. Watching movies while you drive is an overrated experience (unless Jenna is starring of course).

Old 06-11-07, 11:14 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

That's exactly why I didn't attempt it on my car. It's just not worth the risk. Don't listen to the people who say Lexus won't check it at lease turn in. Lexus now checks for tire wear and other things they didn't check for 5 years ago. They might not check navigations now but they can start checking at any time.