IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extremely Frustrated @ Lexus Sales person

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 05:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give them a bad survey. It would hurt him and his dealership more than you could possibly imagine.
Old 06-12-07, 07:06 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

x1000 on the bad survey...
Old 06-12-07, 07:36 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what if they are SO committed to making things right for you then the dealer and the regional Lexus rep can do a nationwide search, find a car that fits your specs and have it transferred ASAP. They should also cut you the deal of the century on it and toss in tint and other dealer options that you would want.

Seems like some fraudulent representations were made to you and if the Lexus regional rep is really involved they know it.
Old 06-12-07, 07:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Unfortunately, you'll only be able to ding them with a bad survey if you actually purchase the car at the offending dealership. If it were me, I think I'd have a tough time doing that...
Old 06-12-07, 07:53 AM
BucBaby
Pole Position

The Lexus salesperson is supposed to give you a superb buying experience. Now that is different for everyone. When my parents go there, they believe everything and think it's wonderful that they have delicious free coffee there. I, on the other hand, wanted to be treated like an intelligent person who does their research. So my parents walk away with a bad deal and are happy because they got coffee and people were nice to them and I walk away with a good deal and wonder if they're just making me think it was a good deal.

You need to have high expectations of them. You need to make them work to make you happy. Set high goals. Start turning things around and tell them what they need to do to make your buying experience changed for the good.

Good luck...and you can have some coffee too if you want.
Old 06-12-07, 08:58 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
obviously they take the surveys very very serious, i would not settle and do everything you can to get what you want. I would not accept that car, shop around thier are multiple dealers in the bay area that would love to have your business, or if you want to stick with that dealer get a different saleperson or get the manager involved to check inventory, have the try to get what you want (or close to it) from another dealer. As for that salesman i would ask him to give you a good reason for you not to give him a bad rating on the survey, and ask him what he is willing to do to remedy the situation. Time is money and money is time, for them to mess this up on a special order that is unacceptable. if anything try to get them to give you a better price on the car you want....... options are endless
good luck
I will listen to their proposal today and act accordingly. I must say this has tainted my view point of Lexus customer service.

I'm also a bit shocked that he has 3 awards sitting on his desk from 2004 till now. I brought a thick binder of all the car reviews, quotes from different dealers and paperwork that I've collected in 5 months time and he was surprised that I actually didn't take his word on certain items.

When he first corrected my order from AT to MT, I have an email of him saying that the difference in price isn't much and it should be around $100. How insane is that?

That's the reason I started that binder so I can get everything down clear in writing so I wouldn't be in this situation, but I guess that didn't matter. 4 months of waiting all for nothing...

Originally Posted by mir
I bought mine from Magnussen's lexus at Fremont. Give them a call and see if they have something. I bought from them just 10 days ago and they had huge inventory of IS. I found mine just exactly the way I wanted. Although, the sales man did tell me that MT is hard to find and he had a buyer picking up one just that very day.
I really like their new dealership and if things don't work out, then they'll be the first ones I contact. I hope that since they're in close proximity to the NUMMI plant that they treat Toyota family members right.

Originally Posted by chaos6458
shoyuu,
sorry to hear that.
i want you to think about this.
just like many of our cl fellow members mentioned, its JUNE 2007.
i would give them a really BAD SURVEY, and contact other dealer for 2008 is250 MT.
yes, you have wasted 4 months but now what?
best thing they can do for you is expediting your new order.
that's BS! in about month or two from the day you get the car, someone will be driving 2008 isx50 next to you.
get 2008.
It might sound silly, but I'm a believer of karma. If the dealership can make things right, although I don't know how they're going to give me back my 4 months of waiting, then I won't trash them on the survey. I'll list everything that's happened, but I let them know how frustrating they made my car buying experience.

I really don't think the Regional Manager can do anything to expedite my order. And the salesperson was right, the MT with the color combo and Nav is really rare. I didn't want all the extras that they were offering like Preferred package and the 18s.

If the option to special order an 08 for the price of an 07 and be one of the first one off the boat then I'll take that offer.

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Tell the salesman that you'll give him a good survey if he gets u the car u want or do whatever it takes to "expedite" the one u want. THEN rip him to shreds in ur survey. Don't burn ur bridges until you've gotten what you want.
You know, I would have been content if he apologized and did whatever he could to help me out. The fact that he brought up the Survey and how important it was for him not to receive a bad one, really ticked me off. How can a salesperson be thinking of the customer when he brings that up in the middle of apologizing?

I'll wait and see what the result of today's meeting is. I've already contacted corporate so they will do some investigating on their end.

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
It is a big country, and California has 36, count 'em, 36 dealerships. Take your business elsewhere and don't look back.

Since you've waited this long, you may as well opt for a 2008 model.

If the dealer wants to make you happy, tell him that he needs to throw in lots of extras to keep your business.

You have the right to walk. Exercise your right if you have to.

Good luck!
Wow, I had no idea we had so many dealers instate. I have a few in mind already where I've had good experiences with in regards to email inquiries, so I'll contact them if I cross that bridge.

I guess it was my mistake to think that they would treat Toyota family members the same at all dealers in regards to customer service.

Originally Posted by kikaida
I agree what others are saying.

Take your business else where and just wait for the 2008.

Think about it if you pay for the 2007 now, your car will depreciate a lot when the 2008 comes in. Its like you will pay in full for an 2007 and in a couple of months it will depreciate about a years worth while only owning the car for a couple of months.

Plus another thing, i dont know about you but when i pay over 40K for my car. Im making sure i get what i want.
I was really disappointed when I heard the news and I showed him my frustration when he told me that there were no other cars that matched what I wanted down at the Port. If I do continue to do business with him, I will get it in writing that he told me I would get an 08 at 07 pricing.

Thanks again, for all the input. I'll try and work on a draft to corporate so I can follow up with them.
Old 06-12-07, 09:54 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you are a salesmans worse nightmare. Someone who is educated, someone who has patience (salesmen want the sale right then and their) and someone who keeps good records. I like lexus customer service, they have always been good to me, but its jack-offs like this and dealers that let this go on that gives the industry a bad name. I bet he never ordered it until monthes after you initially went in, by then he was too retarded to remeber what you ordered or too stupid to read his own handwriting, how do you get a FIE wrong? unless it happened at the manufacturing stage, but that most likely would have occured from poor information.....

The options that came on it dont sound too bad, but you paid for a certain product, its in the contract. They have the obligation to provide that product. If they cannot do this they could be in breech of contract (i may be talking out my butt at this point) but it is intresting how dealers call everything contracts until they are in breech, then it was a memo and someone mishandled it. LOL.

slam him in the survey even if they make it right...... contact corporate and find out if thier is anything they can do from thier end.

but wait, the 08's are enroute.....
Old 06-12-07, 12:15 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm somewhat surprised at the fact that you're giving them a sliver of time of day to figure out what went wrong and (possibly) how they're going to correct their mistake.

if i were in your shoes, i'd high-tail it out of that dealership and take my business elsewhere; but that's just me.

good luck, and hopefully your adventures close w/ a happy ending. do keep us updated!
Old 06-12-07, 12:26 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

I too thought you don't get the survey until after the purchase.

But anyway, give them a deadline. You ordered the car 4 months ago, and the longest that most people wait for a special order is 5-6 months. Just tell them that if they can't get the car to you in that time you will slam them on the survey

My sales guy was a "Lexus Master" as far as rankings go (not exactly sure how that works) but he mentioned that once a customer misread the form (English wasn't her first language) and gave him bad marks on the whole survey and he almost got fired lol
Old 06-12-07, 02:10 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

As I said before the dealerships are pretty much useless. Not only do they not like to special order, but they know less about their product than we do, and try to stonewall us just to get us in something they have on the lot. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I was told while visiting different dealerships, some of the stuff was pretty funny. Dealers also seem to not like to look outside of their area for cars, once again because of their propensity to sell whatever's on the lot. Lexus has been worse than when I bought my Toyota and Ford vehicles a while back, and this isn't my first time buying one either. I really wish you specify and locate the vehicle through some central place like the corporate office, and then once the vehicle is found they can dish off the sale to the local dealership to arrange for delivery, payment, registration, etc. pretty much all the things you need the dealership to do. I really don't like trusting a bunch of dishonest people to not only do a good faith search for the car you want, but special ordering one and actually placing the order on time, is just scary to me. I feel bad for you that you've already lost 4 months of your time. I guess I'm not the only one with a horror story about getting a hard to find or special ordered car. I still haven't gotten my $2,000 deposit back from my local dealership who screwed up a deal we had in place last month for a red IS350 (hard to find car around here), and now I'm fighting to get the money back.
Old 06-12-07, 03:27 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
I still haven't gotten my $2,000 deposit back from my local dealership who screwed up a deal we had in place last month for a red IS350 (hard to find car around here), and now I'm fighting to get the money back.
They dealer isn't allowed to use your money indefinitely for free. Give them three days to return YOUR money, or tell them the next time your lawyer will be contacting them.
Old 06-12-07, 03:36 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Next time insist on dropping the deposit with a credit card. Most CC cos are on your side and will reverse the charge as part of their consumer protection policy if your deal falls thru. Plus you get mileage or reward points on the deposit.
Old 06-12-07, 03:39 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah I did put it on my credit card. Unfortunately now it's starting to accrue interest, and on $2,000 that's not something I want to pay.
Old 06-12-07, 04:09 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that 6MT's were just straight up not available with nav, or am I just crazy?
Old 06-12-07, 04:37 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'm somewhat surprised at the fact that you're giving them a sliver of time of day to figure out what went wrong and (possibly) how they're going to correct their mistake.

if i were in your shoes, i'd high-tail it out of that dealership and take my business elsewhere; but that's just me.

good luck, and hopefully your adventures close w/ a happy ending. do keep us updated!
Thanks all. Dna, I can understand that Human error can never be removed from the process so I'm willing to see if they can make it right. Maybe I'm just too soft, but hopefully this will get resolved and without too much wait.

I just got off the phone with someone from Corporate that did a follow up on me. I told him about how the salesperson was repeatedly telling me how he did not want a bad survey, so it's documented with Corporate. I was told that they would work with that dealer to resolve the problem. It's a shame the guy was reading from a script. /sigh

I haven't heard back from the dealer, so I'm going to stop by tonight and see in person what my options are.

Quick Reply: Extremely Frustrated @ Lexus Sales person