IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**maintenance Loop Holes**

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:49 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like an advertisement for Jiffy Lube. I wouldnt trust them with a block of wood. Why pay labor for wiper blades when you can do it in 5 minutes yourself?
Old 06-12-07, 10:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wtf... why are you guys talking about jiffy lube... whats worse is that some of you actually have experiences with them...
Old 06-12-07, 11:41 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
You got to be ****ting me.....as Dennis Miller would say. Jiffy Lube!!!! I took my 91 Camry there after my regular one/stop (Camry only) closed down. I told the clerk that the car only takes 3 and a half quarts of oil with filter. No problem he says 'as he looks it up in his book'. Nope, he says 'it takes 4 and a half quarts. I told him again his book is wrong. So they changed to oil and when I pick up the car I immediately checked the stick. It was almost double the markings. I showed the dipstick to the clerk 'wow, I guess we'll have to drain out a quart. NO **** SHERLOCK and they did. Jiffy Lube will never see my Camry again let alone my Lexus........EVER
What makes me laugh is the fact that those tasks are things men should know comming out of the womb to begin with and to hype it as a maintance loophole was even more entertaining, how is this a loophole?
If you cannot change a wiperblade, undo some clips and swap out your own airfilter; I dont know what makes you more stupid, going to jiffy lube and thinking you got the hook up, or you not knowing how to do this or thinking you had to pay someone do to this at the dealer!

I belive its in the manual WITH PICTURES too!

I have a diagram on how to put your shoes on too, that way you have a loop hole and dont have to have a friend to do it for you.

and if i pay 30k for a car im not worried about dropping 60 bucks on wipers, espcially if the alternative is a non OEM part.

I dont know if this thread was a joke, or serious.
Old 06-12-07, 02:47 PM
neova
Pole Position

I would retain the OEM lexus wiper blades and just have the inserts replaced. Nothing is worst than having cheap looking wiper blades on a 40K car!
Old 06-12-07, 03:30 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You might save a few bucks with JL, but you're going to be paying a lot in repairs after they're done. I got an oil change with them once on a POS car I had in high school...they left oil stains in the interior, wiped oil on my clean air filter and told me it was dirty and needed replacement, and overfilled the oil.

They suck. It's your $40k car, but you're rolling the dice every time you let those a** clowns touch your car.
Old 06-12-07, 03:33 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jiffy Lube nearly ruined my friend's Vette. They neglected to tighten the oil filter. Once he drove home, the driveway was full of oil.

Do it Yourself.
Old 06-12-07, 04:27 PM
ndawood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by freddymoo
NEVER TRUST Jiffy!

one time i had an oil change there. several days later i heard some weird noise from my engine..didn't know what it was...and i ignored it thinking it will go away..but it didnt. finally i bought it to a mechanic. he open my hood and told me whoever change the oil didn't put back the cap. oil spill everywhere..made my engine look so dirty. i was so pissed. i contacted jiffy and they told me bring it in and they will give me a new oil change and reimburse me. i told them just give me credit refund...and i dont' ever want to set foot in that place again.

i heard many more horror stories from this "business".

you are not the first one to complain about that. if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the appropriate maintenance. the dealer may charge more but offers peace of mind.
Old 06-12-07, 05:23 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that used to work at JL. He told me he didn't know what the hell he was doing most of the time and yet he was there 2 years. He told me to NEVER go to JL to get anything done. I certainly heeded his warning considering he worked there!

I get all services done at the dealer. This way if anything ever goes wrong, I'm marching myself right back to the service guy and complain. And if that didn't work, I'd go to corporate. Can't say that I can do this if I went to a non-dealer place to get my car serviced.
Old 06-12-07, 05:30 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
Jiffy Lube is the devil
You got that right!

Jippy Lube is the "Demon Seed!"

Old Oiler
Old 06-19-07, 01:39 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully I have never been to Jiffy Lube. AND AFTER READING THIS, I NEVER WILL. I always went to Precision Tune for my old '95 Civic coupe. They were usually pretty decent. They'll tell you what needs to be replaced, etc. for free and then you can buy the parts and do it yourself.
Old 06-19-07, 06:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Have someone else service my car? Never again unless it's at the dealer under warranty.

The last 30 minute oil change place I used took my Red Line 10w-30 and put Pennzoil in my car. I stupidly assumed they didn't rip me off because it was at a dealership. After 10k miles (normal OCI for Red Line) the entire top end was black with varnish. Never again. Ever.
Old 06-19-07, 07:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
...Red Line 10w-30...
I use the purple stuff red line is just as good too

*and so will ensue the synth vs dino/viscosity weights/time or mileage discussions*
Old 06-19-07, 10:20 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drive down here and we'll work on your car LOL
Old 06-22-07, 11:52 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Default another question

Hey, does anyone know if you can use OEM Lexus blade inserts on aftermarket (Bosch) assemblies? I threw out my OEM assemblies after replacing the blades (before reading about the cheaper route on here), and it seems to me you could still just pull out the inserts and replace with OEM ones.

Has anyone tried this? Thanks.
Old 06-22-07, 05:33 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs3_4me
Hey, does anyone know if you can use OEM Lexus blade inserts on aftermarket (Bosch) assemblies? I threw out my OEM assemblies after replacing the blades (before reading about the cheaper route on here), and it seems to me you could still just pull out the inserts and replace with OEM ones.

Has anyone tried this? Thanks.
They might be compatible, but I'm at a loss to figure out why you wouldn't just buy Bosch inserts. Are you itching to spend more money than you have to?

Quick Reply: **maintenance Loop Holes**