IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**maintenance Loop Holes**

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 04:32 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I've been lucky with my dealer....they come to my office or home, pick up my car (older gentleman), service it and return it to my office when done. Their prices for oil changes have been comparable to reputable mechanics places...I would NEVER use Jiffy-Lube either! For now, I am sticking with the Service Dept at the dealership...the service/attention to detail( not to mention, they hand wash and dry) has been incredible!
Old 06-23-07, 09:27 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by br3akenout
i am never going near a jiffy lube after all the stories i've heard AND first hand experience. Now if any other place did the same thing...sure maybe
+ 1 to that.....I would do it myself.
Old 06-24-07, 08:18 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Jiff lube is a joke, they hire folks off the street and they are taught by other employees that were hired off the street with no prior knowledge of how do do anything with cars.....Go to a Jiffy Lube in May then return in July and see how the crew has changed.
Old 06-24-07, 08:22 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
When you get wiper blades from the Stealer you only need the rubber replacements, not the whole wiper assembly. They should cost less then $20 for the set. I paid less then $5 for oil filters (From the Stealer) and I do the change myself.

Koz
Good to know, 20 bucks for the wiper inserts!
Old 06-25-07, 03:03 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I guess I haven't liked the Bosch ones as much as the OEM blades... kinda strange. I have a friend that might have 2 full assemblies in his garage, so I'm gonna go that route first.
Old 06-25-07, 05:44 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

best part about jip-u-lube is that nice scratch the dam high school kid puts in your paint as he wipes his nasty a** greasy hand prints off your fender with the 3 day old rag he found on the floor. after the detail job to fix it it, would have been cheaper to go to the dealer!!!

Last edited by nrsk4u; 06-25-07 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-07, 10:07 AM
Butch341
Driver School Candidate

Reviving the thread. I was just combing through the forum and came across this thread with many Jiffy Lube stories. I felt obligated to add another short story to the pile, as I am officially a Jiffy Lube "Hater" myself. I have never taken my IS there (won't go within 20 miles of that place with her.. haha), but I did take one of my earlier cars there several times. I used to have a '90 Acura Integra, and back then I didn't know any better so I took it to get the oil changed at Crappy.. I mean Jiffy Lube. Over the period of about 5-10 oil changes, I noticed that my car was always constantly needing oil when I would check it periodically. I topped it off several times and went about my business, but eventually decided to take my car into a mechanic I trusted to have it look it over. When he called me with the prognosis, he told me that my oil pan had been stripped to all heck and that there was some kind of weird plug in the pan that seemed to somewhat cover up the stripped hole. I never noticed that much of an oil leak from places I parked, but I guess it was enough to lose at least 1/4, 1/2, or 1 quart each time I checked the oil every month or two.. I KNOW it wasn't stripped when I first got the car (I bought it used, about 3-4 years old) because I took it to the same mechanic to get it checked/maintenance performed initially and there were no problems. It HAD to be Jiffy Lube because that's the only place I'd gotten my oil changed since. Anyway, it turned out that I had to buy a completely new Oil Pan and plug because the others were damaged so badly. The mechanic told me that if the pan is not damaged too badly he usually can "re-groove" or whatever the pan and it will be alright, but mine was so damaged that it had to be replaced. He said it was more than likely caused from over-tightening the plug several different times. I guess Jiffy Lube has no idea what a Torque Wrench is. I got a new pan/plug, started performing the oil changes myself, tightened the plug to spec with a torque wrench, and never had an oil problem again. I'm glad I learned that lesson early and not with a really good car like my IS. I'm thankful that at least my plug didn't completely fall out while I was driving one time and burn up my engine. I'm surprised they are still in business.

Last edited by Butch341; 08-20-07 at 10:11 AM.