IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Synthetic Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 02:42 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
...And I want angel eye headlights made from real angels.
/thread - he killed it
Old 06-12-07, 02:42 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I support PETA !!!!! People Eating Tasty Animals. Yummy!!!!

Leatherette, plether, vinyl, whatever you want to call it, is not the right product for a luxury product. BMW gets away with it and the fan boys on those forums think it is okey dokey since they can't 'tell the difference'.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-12-07 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 03:49 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree, but i highly doubt the cow was killed specifically for the seat, usually it would be a byproduct from other butchering...... like steak, burgers etc. LOL

Unless it is a lexus cow?
Old 06-12-07, 03:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I like the feel and look of the leather in my IS, but I don't like the fact that an animal was skined for my interior. I wish I could choose synthetic leather.

No haPpY cows at Lexus.

I What do you guys think?
Damn. There are a lot of cynical posters on this thread...

Anyways, I do appreciate the fact that you are concerned with such an option. And that's all that it is: AN OPTION! (thank you everyone for your colorful remarks )

The IS actually has cloth seats available, but unfortunately, not in the U.S. market.

I would prefer Lexus to use a high quality cloth rather than fake leather. Quality should hold utmost importance to Lexus design. It's already bad enough the IS has plenty of plastics (such as our "aluminum" trim), and I would hate it even more if it had fake leather...
Old 06-12-07, 04:02 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dont know about leather.. but some nice suede seats would be nice.

At least it keep my *** intact when I max out my suspension~
Old 06-12-07, 04:06 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

Well, it is hard to resisit chiming in when everyone said it so well before me and with geat humor...the cynical side says you should have purchased the car with a cloth interior, but then, why buy a Lexus and while I really do appreciate your point of view, given the opportunity, I think a cow (or other fine animal that provides their hide for our comfort) would do the same to you - just a thought.
Old 06-12-07, 08:26 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish i could pick the cow they kill for my leather!!! haha
no im kidding.... i don't think that i am sitting on cow although in reality i am
Old 06-12-07, 08:58 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ReLexin
i wish i could pick the cow they kill for my leather!!! haha
no im kidding.... i don't think that i am sitting on cow although in reality i am
Don't laugh. I know a Bentley Continental GT owner that hand picked the cow that would serve as his leather for the seats. In addition, he also hand picked the tree that would serve as his wood trim. He was a repeat buyer and wanted the full "Bentley experience" when buying the GT.

Bentley can arrange such visits for their clients upon request.
Old 06-12-07, 10:00 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love leather so much, i kind of want to get rid of the IS because there isnt enough of it inside! i mean, the backseats are nice (way nicer than the front), but i want alcantara headliners, i want leather on the dash, i want the leather recaro seats from the S4/RS4. i wish the seats had alcantara inserts ala IS300. and i want more colors! my shoes have leather and alcantara inserts in a nice brown...even the SC430 gets more color options. bah.....i guess i will have to wait.
Old 06-12-07, 10:06 PM
lexem
Pole Position

I like my cows.
Old 06-12-07, 10:29 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
I think you should sell your IS immediately and donate the proceeds to your local Church. Then shave off all your hair and donate it to chemotherapy patients. Next, sell the rest of your earthly possessions and donate the money to underprivileged children. Lastly, walk the earth barefooted with only the clothes on your back, chanting buddhist prayers. Then and only then, will you truly find peace from your wretched sins . . .
well said!
Old 06-12-07, 10:30 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

You guys just kill me. I have been sitting here just giggling away.

Now on the subject of an alternative to the leather. I had a Volvo with the greatest cloth seats. The kids and the dog (or I) couldn't ruin it. If no leather isn't an option, perhaps you should follow your convictions and buy another car that allows that option.

I see where you're coming from, but I love the feel of a good pair of leather shoes hugging my tootsies and the leather seat...well never mind...you get the picture.
Old 06-12-07, 11:54 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

You could probably replace the leather seats with some aftermarket ones. I'm sure the cow(s) would appreciate getting its skin back.
Old 06-13-07, 12:05 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I wasn't even going to comment because the notion of not utilizing the cow hide once it has been slaughtered for food is just to far left for me.
Sort of like jamming on the brakes to avoid the squirrel during rush hour and causing a multi car accident.

Synthetic leather... geeeze...
Old 06-13-07, 12:40 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Leatherette, plether, vinyl, whatever you want to call it, is not the right product for a luxury product. BMW gets away with it and the fan boys on those forums think it is okey dokey since they can't 'tell the difference'.
To be fair, I think the fan boys think it is okay because BMW gives you a choice to either have real leather or leatherette. I'd choose leatherette over cloth any day. However, I'd choose real leather over leatherette. At least there is a choice.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Leather