IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Synthetic Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 01:37 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want to kill cattle but you want to take of your cats' for 5 hp?
Old 06-13-07, 01:58 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I like the feel and look of the leather in my IS, but I don't like the fact that an animal was skined for my interior. I wish I could choose synthetic leather.

No haPpY cows at Lexus.

I What do you guys think?
Well, you asked what us guys thought and you got your answers.

I would and do agree that killing an animal just for the skin seems to be a waste, but a cow is hardly killed just for it's skin. In fact, I feel just the opposite. Since we are killing the cow for food, why discard the skin when it can be made into such nice things as my cars seats, my home furnishings, my wallet, my shoes, my watch band, my briefcase, and several other things I'm probably overlooking.

As for your dogs, I'm sure some folks in China and Vietnam would serve them up real nice for a Sunday dinner. Would you prefer them to toss out the hide or go ahead a make some gloves for you while they are digesting them?

Sorry, but I don’t think you will find much support for your cause on this forum. Try taking it to the Prius board.
Old 06-13-07, 02:07 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Well, you asked what us guys thought and you got your answers.

I would and do agree that killing an animal just for the skin seems to be a waste, but a cow is hardly killed just for it's skin. In fact, I feel just the opposite. Since we are killing the cow for food, why discard the skin when it can be made into such nice things as my cars seats, my home furnishings, my wallet, my shoes, my watch band, my briefcase, and several other things I'm probably overlooking.

As for your dogs, I'm sure some folks in China and Vietnam would serve them up real nice for a Sunday dinner. Would you prefer them to toss out the hide or go ahead a make some gloves for you while they are digesting them?

Sorry, but I don’t think you will find much support for your cause on this forum. Try taking it to the Prius board.

I justed wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this issue. I didn't expect any support. Maybe the dogs will make a better floor mat. hahahahaha... j/k
Old 06-13-07, 02:27 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Hilarious.
i always wanted to carpet my car with panda hide. So is panda meat red or white?
Old 06-13-07, 05:40 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Dj Amtrax, time for a dose of reality. Slaughter houses euthanize steers for their meat, not for the leather in your car. These steers (neutered males) are bred specifically for this purpose, cows (females) are used for milk. That said, an efficient slaughter house will utilize every part of the steer, hides are used for leather products, bones and fat are used for every day products like candles and soap. So unless you are a strict vegetarian, use only organic soap & clensers, and never burn candles, you are indeed using some sort of by-product from a slaughtered steer. Get over it, it's just a part of life.
Old 06-13-07, 05:47 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Well they don't euthanize them, they shoot them in the head with a bolt. But steak tastes good, hamburger tastes good. ( stolen and changed a little bit fromPulp Fiction
Old 06-13-07, 05:51 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow at some of the responses in this thread... I just lot a hell of a lot of respect for a lot of posters here... I thought this board had more class than that.
Old 06-13-07, 06:20 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buford
Well they don't euthanize them, they shoot them in the head with a bolt...
Hmmm, sounds like you're in the industry. I chose 'euthanize' to avoid being too graphic and violent. Bottom line, they don't see it coming and don't feel a thing . . .
Old 06-13-07, 06:54 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

An animal science class years ago.