IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stupid truck drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 07:36 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I was responding to a prior poster that said he would wrap his whole car in it if wasn't so expensive. My point is that you can learn to do it on your own for far less than what they charge you.

Clear bra installers charge you an arm and leg for labor and your fear of rocks.

Me personally, I will be covering the hood, mirror backs, bumper, and the front part of my roof before the moonroof. There will be no clear bra on the doors, back half of the roof, or the back end of the car.
Right on, how much can a .8mil sheet of plastic cost anyway? You're paying for the labor.
Old 06-13-07, 07:45 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Surely you jest? Wrap your entire car is some sort of baggie, like the old Italians used to do with their living room furniture? No thanks. It's only a car. Why would you want to do that, so the next owner can have a perfect finish? Isn't worth it, imo.
I agree. I mean I understand where people are coming from, but still. There are some cons that go along with the pros of having the clear bra.
Old 06-13-07, 07:54 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdanon
I agree. I mean I understand where people are coming from, but still. There are some cons that go along with the pros of having the clear bra.
There are some cons, such as the cost, possible yellowing over time, and the need for replacement if there is a lot of damage to the bra. Hence the reason to learn how to do it yourself if you are **** about your paint, like I am.

I've done my research on the pros and cons, and have learned where the car is most susceptible to rock chips based on my driving habits and road conditions in my area.

FYI, the hood clear bra install that most dealers do is pretty much useless to me. The IS has such a low front end profile and amazing aerodynamics, that rocks will hit your roof if you're not tailgating the rock flinger in front of you.
Old 06-13-07, 09:48 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Ahhh, the drive from Stockton to LA. Memories. What were you doing in Stockton? Do you go to UOP?
Old 06-13-07, 10:03 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Well, the clear bra wouldn't have saved me from my rock chips. I don't tailgate, and I drive the speed limit. The only place a clear bra would have done me any good is on the roof, and not anywhere on the hood.

If you are a safe driver that follows the rules, you should clear bra the roof and not your hood.
all good points, problem with clear bra 1) nobody in fresno installs them 2) i got hit on the side of the door and the roof so it would not have helped other then the front bumper.

as for identifying the truck it was not hard to miss.....
said inland star and the cab pulling the trailer was bright pink!
Anyway im going to go have it evaluated, then talk to my state farm agent and see what my options are.
Sad thing was i was not even behind the truck...... i was about 10 lengths behind the nearest car, but the road construction went from two to one... this jack off came flying up on my right side and basically cut me off. He could have pulled in behind me.

I was in stockton for a meeting with (ironically) an insurance adjuster for a case im involved with, i actually live in fresno.

I dont have a mile marker, but i have the exact time and place description of the truck and the driver.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 06-13-07 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 12:01 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Update:
to fix 4 rock chips, $3500.00. This includes respraying front clip, roof, hood and right rear door.
What i thought was intresting was the body shop manager said, we dont do show car finnishes and whoever wet sanded this car did a fantastic job because he could not see any orange peel. I gave him a wierd look and told him it has never been wet sanded or buffed other then what i have done (zaino) anyway he was so impressed the how the zaino looked he kept asking if i ever had it wet sanded. So i guess i got my moneys worth from the zaino.
All i asked is that it matches and that its show room quality, which i have seen thier work so that should not be a problem. I still thought it to be funny that he could not get over the finnish of from the zaino. He said he has never seen a car with this much depth and shine........ guess he has never heard of zaino.

anyway, it goes in on monday......

stupid trucks.
Old 06-14-07, 04:48 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
What i thought was intresting was the body shop manager said, we dont do show car finnishes and whoever wet sanded this car did a fantastic job because he could not see any orange peel. I gave him a wierd look and told him it has never been wet sanded or buffed other then what i have done (zaino) anyway he was so impressed the how the zaino looked he kept asking if i ever had it wet sanded. So i guess i got my moneys worth from the zaino.
Zaino will make the car shine, but the small amount of orange peel on Lexus cars really speaks to the care they take while painting these cars. Wet sanding can get rid of all orange peel, but our factory finishes are pretty good.
Old 06-14-07, 10:58 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

yes, im pretty satisfied with the factory finnish, i dont see alot of orange peel even under flouresent lights. Its thier but very subtle, i guess i may be lucky.