IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stupid truck drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 05:29 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stupid truck drivers

I was on my way back from stockton and a big *** truck (inland star) cut me off and threw up a bunch of rocks... its normal to get rock chips, but on on the side of the door and the roof!
anyway ( i should know the answer but im having a brain fart) i know its comprehensive, but would it be thier fault? Obviously either way its going to get fixed, along with the chip on the roof, and 4 inch scratch on the front bumper all from the same truck.

Anyway, i thought i would share since everyone else does

Im guessing i just tell the adjuster the where it happened and what/ who's tuck it was.
Old 06-13-07, 05:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Highway 205? The one with 2 lanes each direction?
Old 06-13-07, 05:35 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

99 by livingston where they are doing all the construction work.......
Old 06-13-07, 05:38 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear that. I hate trucks. i would call the trucking company, they have insurance for this kind of stuff. my Envoy got hit with a 2x4 off a truck and i called the company and they sent out a company to appraise and fix it. iThe damage was on my driver door and driver rear door.
Old 06-13-07, 05:40 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I f'ing hate how stupid trucks seem to bounce up rocks right when youre behind them! Like they havent been driving down that highway for the last 100 miles!
Old 06-13-07, 05:47 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
I was on my way back from stockton and a big *** truck (inland star) cut me off and threw up a bunch of rocks... its normal to get rock chips, but on on the side of the door and the roof!
anyway ( i should know the answer but im having a brain fart) i know its comprehensive, but would it be thier fault? Obviously either way its going to get fixed, along with the chip on the roof, and 4 inch scratch on the front bumper all from the same truck.

Anyway, i thought i would share since everyone else does

Im guessing i just tell the adjuster the where it happened and what/ who's tuck it was.
I've got only 2 rock chips that were not big, and guess what, both are on the roof!! I got both when I was driving a safe 2-3 second distance from the car or truck ahead of me. There is something strange about the IS's aerodynamics.

From now on, I drive a 1-1.5 second distance behind the car in front of me as the rock is more likely to fly over me than land on my roof.
Old 06-13-07, 05:48 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ReLexin
sorry to hear that. I hate trucks. i would call the trucking company, they have insurance for this kind of stuff. my Envoy got hit with a 2x4 off a truck and i called the company and they sent out a company to appraise and fix it. iThe damage was on my driver door and driver rear door.
Okay, call me stupid, but how could they believe if you if you don't have proof. If you get hit by a rock, surely you need the numbers on the truck for proof, and maybe a mile marker on the road you were driving. If the damage is big enough to force you and the truck to stop, you will have the chance to get an accident report.

Why would the trucking company believe you if you have no proof.
Old 06-13-07, 05:51 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This will ALWAYS be a on going problem. Best thing to do to protect yourself is the clear bra. I would pay to clear bra the whole car if was possible and if it wasn't so expensive. $600 for just half of the front clip of the car is a lot....imagine the whole car.
Old 06-13-07, 05:55 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
This will ALWAYS be a on going problem. Best thing to do to protect yourself is the clear bra. I would pay to clear bra the whole car if was possible and if it wasn't so expensive. $600 for just half of the front clip of the car is a lot....imagine the whole car.
Well, the clear bra wouldn't have saved me from my rock chips. I don't tailgate, and I drive the speed limit. The only place a clear bra would have done me any good is on the roof, and not anywhere on the hood.

If you are a safe driver that follows the rules, you should clear bra the roof and not your hood.
Old 06-13-07, 06:13 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Oh one more thing...the clear bra install is all labor cost. You can buy the film they use in a roll for next to nothing. This is the reason why I refused to pay a fortune for it.

I'm actually going to buy a roll and practice the installation on my 1997 Maxima before attempting it in on my IS.

I might even do the minivan while I'm at it. If you get good enough at installing it on your own, covering the whole car isn't all that expensive. It would then just take your time and effort.

I've seen instructional videos on how to install the clear bra on the internet. It isn't rocket science.
Old 06-13-07, 07:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
If you get good enough at installing it on your own, covering the whole car isn't all that expensive. It would then just take your time and effort.
Surely you jest? Wrap your entire car is some sort of baggie, like the old Italians used to do with their living room furniture? No thanks. It's only a car. Why would you want to do that, so the next owner can have a perfect finish? Isn't worth it, imo.
Old 06-13-07, 07:17 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Okay, call me stupid, but how could they believe if you if you don't have proof. If you get hit by a rock, surely you need the numbers on the truck for proof, and maybe a mile marker on the road you were driving. If the damage is big enough to force you and the truck to stop, you will have the chance to get an accident report.

Why would the trucking company believe you if you have no proof.
I had the license plate of the truck. and the name of the company.. Duhhhh
samething with if a rock hit ur car, get the license plate and the company name and call them up.
Old 06-13-07, 07:25 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Surely you jest? Wrap your entire car is some sort of baggie, like the old Italians used to do with their living room furniture? No thanks. It's only a car. Why would you want to do that, so the next owner can have a perfect finish? Isn't worth it, imo.
I was responding to a prior poster that said he would wrap his whole car in it if wasn't so expensive. My point is that you can learn to do it on your own for far less than what they charge you.

Clear bra installers charge you an arm and leg for labor and your fear of rocks.

Me personally, I will be covering the hood, mirror backs, bumper, and the front part of my roof before the moonroof. There will be no clear bra on the doors, back half of the roof, or the back end of the car.
Old 06-13-07, 07:31 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I've had craploads of rock chips from trucks over the years, so much so that when I'm in my IS, I instinctively scan the road further ahead for trucks and employ 'strategery' to stay as far the hell away as possible. If I can't get a couple of lanes over, then I'll slow down until I have a wide open passing window before I blow past the truck as quick as possible. ****, I know, but with my luck and chip magnet windshield of the IS, you gotta do what you gotta do. A lot of trucks are now carrying warnings to stay back 100 feet, not responsible for damage, etc. and will refuse to cover damages incurred.
Old 06-13-07, 07:35 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
I've had craploads of rock chips from trucks over the years, so much so that when I'm in my IS, I instinctively scan the road further ahead for trucks and employ 'strategery' to stay as far the hell away as possible. If I can't get a couple of lanes over, then I'll slow down until I have a wide open passing window before I blow past the truck as quick as possible. ****, I know, but with my luck and chip magnet windshield of the IS, you gotta do what you gotta do. A lot of trucks are now carrying warnings to stay back 100 feet, not responsible for damage, etc. and will refuse to cover damages incurred.
That isn't what I would call ****. I do the same thing in all my cars. I don't get many rock chips for the reason that I'm always scanning the road for possible rough truck drivers and hazards. I also wait until I have a clear passing lane before moving ahead of a truck.

I'll be a little less ****, but not much less, when I get the clear bra.

Quick Reply: Stupid truck drivers