IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Carlsbad is adding $1500. to price!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 05:34 PM
Mike V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Carlsbad is adding $1500. to price!

My special order in at the dock. I called the dealer for a copy of the invoice. The dealers invoice shows an extra $1500. that doesn't have any item descriptions but just shows up in the total price. The car in suposed to arrive at the dealer next week. Dealer is NOW adding $1500. to the invoice as "Cost of doing Business". What a bunch of BULL! Anyone hear of this?
Mike V

Last edited by Mike V; 06-17-07 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 05:45 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike V
The dealer showed me a copy of the invoice and there appears to be about
$1,500 extra that doesn't any item descriptions but just shows up in the total price. The car in suposed to arrive at the dealer next week. Anyone have a copy of there invoice they could post or send me a copy of? I think they are hidding some profit.

Mike V
Here is a http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=34315
link for invoice pricing.
Old 06-17-07, 05:50 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

I think MSRP is about 4-5k over invoice with no options. (From memory) Each option's invoice is roughly 20% less than MSRP for that option.

E.G.

'07 IS350 with 10k worth of options is about:

46k MSRP
39k invoice

This is nowhere near exact, but is fairly close if memory serves....
Old 06-17-07, 07:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My special order in at the dock. I called the dealer for a copy of the invoice. The dealers invoice shows an extra $1500. that doesn't have any item descriptions but just shows up in the total price. The car in suposed to arrive at the dealer next week. Dealer is NOW adding $1500. to the invoice as "Cost of doing Business". What a bunch of BULL! Anyone hear of this?
Mike V
Find out exactly what the $1500 is for. If it is just an adder to pad their bottom line, reject it. Didn't you negotiate the price at the time of order?
Old 06-17-07, 08:16 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Who's your salesperson?

I bought from Carlsbad and special ordered with no issues whatsoever....Price we agreed on was what was paid.

Did you put a deposit down or what?
Old 06-17-07, 09:17 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

if you're paying $1500 over invoice, then that's not unreasonable. If you expected to pay invoice, then that is unreasonable. $1500 seems like a fair margin.
Old 06-17-07, 09:35 PM
chicasmom
Driver School Candidate

When I was dealing with the internet dept. at Carlsbad I was told the "rock bottom" price on an IS 350 would be $1500 over invoice. But if you're stating they have padded an additional $1500 on top of a pre-negotiated price, that's a horse of a different color....
Old 06-17-07, 10:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Mike V
The dealer invoice includes 3 "other fees" which don't show up anywhere else...

1- TDA = Advertising
2- Dealer Holdback
3- Whsl Financial Reserve

When they sent you a copy of the dealer invoice you should these fees added on the end of the invoice, but they are NORMALLY line itemized..

Supposedly, the Dealer Invoice is what they have to pay Lexus each time they sell the car, unless Lexus approves to sell below dealer invoice to move product off the lots...

If your still getting the car for $1,000 over dealer invoice on a special order, its a good deal...

Depending on your numbers & options, Im sure its still appox $3,000 off of the MSRP sticker price... right??

You'll find this link helpful:

http://www.edmunds.com/about/feepopup.html

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-17-07 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-18-07, 02:30 AM
fdelement
Driver

I just paid about 41k OTD for my IS350 with premium package, 18" wheels with summer tires, navi, HID with AFS, accessory package, XM satellite and rear lip spoiler. Don't think this was a steal by definitely didn't get raped by the dealer.
Old 06-18-07, 04:36 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chicasmom
When I was dealing with the internet dept. at Carlsbad I was told the "rock bottom" price on an IS 350 would be $1500 over invoice. But if you're stating they have padded an additional $1500 on top of a pre-negotiated price, that's a horse of a different color....
TimboIS and Joe Z, did you read this? This has nothing to do with the dealer's fair margin. What you need to see here is the agreement.

Warrionex
Old 06-18-07, 07:45 AM
Mike V

[QUOTE=Joe Z;2701061]The dealer invoice includes 3 "other fees" which don't show up anywhere else...

1- TDA = Advertising
2- Dealer Holdback

When they sent you a copy of the dealer invoice you should these fees added on the end of the invoice, but they are NORMALLY line itemized..

Supposedly, the Dealer Invoice is what they have to pay Lexus each time they sell the car, unless Lexus approves to sell below dealer invoice to move product off the lots...

If your still getting the car for $1,000 over dealer invoice on a special order, its a good deal...

Joe, I had never heard of this. When dealing with Americian mfg. you get
the prices of the invoice and these other costs are not added in. This is a first for me! It wasn't itemized but the differance was about $1500 differance. That seems like a lot to me.

Mike V
Old 06-18-07, 07:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by warrionex
TimboIS and Joe Z, did you read this? This has nothing to do with the dealer's fair margin. What you need to see here is the agreement.

Warrionex
Yes I read it... but..

"chicasmom" is not the orginal poster...

If you agree to $1,000 over dealer invoice and you TRY to compare the actual Dealer invoice to lets say for example Edmunds.com or Kbb.com dealer invoice, it will be missing approx. $1,500 related to these fees:

1- TDA = Advertising
2- Dealer Holdback

You don't actually get to see the dealer invoice up until the car is on its way to the dealer... Normally they don't even show you the actual invoice..

It all depends who you are dealing with...

I am sure he, the OP, is still getting his deal of $1,000 over dealer invoice, he just didn't know the dealer invoice has these additional "costs of doing business" added on as fees.

Depending on his final numbers & options, I'm sure its still appox $3,000 off of the MSRP sticker price...

Joe Z
Old 06-18-07, 07:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Joe, I had never heard of this. When dealing with Americian mfg. you get
the prices of the invoice and these other costs are not added in. This is a first for me! It wasn't itemized but the differance was about $1500 differance. That seems like a lot to me.

Mike V
Mike

You can nicely ask them to breakdown the $1,500 fees and also ask to see the ACTUAL dealer invoice...

- Joe Z
Old 06-18-07, 08:07 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tell them you arent going to pay it and if they dont remove it youll buy the car from somewhere else.. i doubt theyll not remove especially if you go with the "hey we didnt discuss that" routine!
Old 06-18-07, 08:23 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

He special ordered, they know he isn't going to back out now.

Quick Reply: Lexus Carlsbad is adding $1500. to price!