IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dashboard material (and dealer experience, compare to BMW)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 05:46 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a sample of my dash the other day and ran it through my Gas Chromagraph Mass Spectrometer and it stated that the dash on my Lexus IS350 is made of genuine Saskatchewan seal skin and of course Saskatchewan seal skin bindings that hold it in place.

But it looks exactly like matte black polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Go figure.

Old Oiler
Old 06-18-07, 06:08 PM
anitabj
Driver

my friend has an 07 acura TL, and it kicks my dashes butt.......i feel it looks cheap...and the areas where it goes flush with the headunit could use some work
Old 06-18-07, 06:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I took a sample of my dash the other day and ran it through my Gas Chromagraph Mass Spectrometer and it stated that the dash on my Lexus IS350 is made of genuine Saskatchewan seal skin and of course Saskatchewan seal skin bindings that hold it in place.
Well here in hawaii our cars came with Megaladon Shark skin dashboards.
Old 06-18-07, 07:20 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not comparing anything, all i'm saying is that if you want the driving experience, and by driving i meant racing not street driving, then you would not go for a BMW period. Sure you can get the M3 to be a track goer (which it is) and get the "driving" experience but that's about it, if you say BMWs (without being specific) are a driver's car then i recon you must have rocks in your head. It's ignorant to say any BMW outside the ///M group, a driver's car. The e92 335 is as low as you can go imo and everyone knows this car is turboed and costs an arm and a leg so..
Old 06-18-07, 07:46 PM
lch
Driver School Candidate

Car and driver review;
"And yet the IS350 doesn't become an extension of your legs and forearms, as the BMW or even the G35 does. Editors wrote of a twitchy, overly zealous response to steering inputs by an overdamped suspension that was annoyingly busy on the freeway. Scrub data through the electrically assisted steering rack get muted, and the weighting seems typically Lexus light and artificial. Meanwhile, the tires lack the bite to control understeer, contributing to a last-place lane-change speed."

If you've "really" driven even underpowered 325, and then you compare that to ISx50, you can feel the difference. ISx50 is cushy, sound-proofed, and not assuring vs somewhat harsh, raw and razor sharp handling of bmw. BMW's are for drivers and ISx50 is almostly geared more for passengers. All the cushy stuff like stupid dash - Who the **** cares about the dash?!$% - all gizmos are more useful for passengers than the actual driver

Originally Posted by ldc
I'm not comparing anything, all i'm saying is that if you want the driving experience, and by driving i meant racing not street driving, then you would not go for a BMW period. Sure you can get the M3 to be a track goer (which it is) and get the "driving" experience but that's about it, if you say BMWs (without being specific) are a driver's car then i recon you must have rocks in your head. It's ignorant to say any BMW outside the ///M group, a driver's car. The e92 335 is as low as you can go imo and everyone knows this car is turboed and costs an arm and a leg so..
Old 06-20-07, 08:52 AM
TMQ
Rookie

The dash is something you have to look at every day. The driving experience is a sum of all things, for most people who have to deal with heavy traffic daily, comfort, convenience and luxury are important things. Not everyone wants to zoom zoom through the twisties (or even has the possibility of doing that).

You can quote all you can of the car magazines about the road feel etc., but not everyone feels that way and lot of people probably don't even notice.
Old 06-20-07, 09:12 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What strikes me as interesting about the dash is how it can shine under normal conditions and when sun light hits it it becomes dull/flat. It seems that the brighter the sun light the duller it gets.

Koz