IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intake snorkel/silencer aftermarket (like wrx)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 09:46 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake snorkel/silencer aftermarket (like wrx)

I had 2 wrx before i bought the IS350 2 weeks ago and i was just thinking...

In the wrx there was an intake silencer that was inside one of the fenders. A lot of wrx owners took it out because you could hear a little bit more turbo (spool) noise. Basically there was a "ram air" like the is350 has that connected to the silencer then into the air box, it was actually very similar to the is350 except the silencer was in the fender. Why do i bring this up? Well a company came out with a silencer delete elbow. Basically it connected the ram air scoop to the stock air box via a simple 30 dollar black tube for those that deleted the silencer.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that have the resources to maybe make one of these for the IS, i was thinking maybe joe-z. What i had in mind was a straight tube that looked like the stock silencer snorkel but without the resonator. It would have the mouth "ram air" opening at one end and the other end would connect to the stock air box but in between just straight smooth plastic.

The reason this came to mind...i took out the stock silencer the other day to get that sri sound and i can actually hear the engine a little more and i like it but i dont want to keep pulling air from the engine bay, although with the radiator fan right there i would think its not TOO bad but who knows.

It seems to me this improved "snorkel/silencer" with a blitz or hks filter and finally a joez intake would be the ultimate combination for both sound/performance/quality filtration. What do you think?

Edit: Found the wrx part its called the GP Moto Intake Elbow if you want to look it up, not much to see though.

Last edited by yogi350; 06-19-07 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 10:34 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

i think some one made it already bt i 4got heres a pic
Old 06-19-07, 10:42 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

oooooo the arc intake... very nice buy VERY pricey.
Old 06-19-07, 11:35 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love arc as much as the next guy, but i had one on my Tc, i was not happy with it. In fact it looked like something i could make with alluminum from home depot. JDM bling IMO.
Old 06-20-07, 03:16 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the JoeZ and HKS filter combo... but due to the IS sound proof is so good I could not feel big different in sound...
Old 06-20-07, 01:54 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISbb
I have the JoeZ and HKS filter combo... but due to the IS sound proof is so good I could not feel big different in sound...
Right, just like the stock intake, but if you removed the intake snorkel/silencer or replaced it with what im proposing i think you WOULD hear a nice sound, maybe not with my proposal but it has been proven, that you will if you just took out the silencer, im still not convinced that there are any adverse effects from this but if it is taking in hot air that would be bad (not bad for the car but bad for performance)

Edit: Did a search for the arc intake because the picture wasnt showing up for me, and i couldnt find anything about it, does anyone have arcs homepage so i could read up on it?

Last edited by yogi350; 06-20-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 02:22 PM
trio
Driver

if all you're talking about is a resonator...can't you just remove or cut it and replace it with a regular straight pipe?
Old 06-20-07, 02:55 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by trio
if all you're talking about is a resonator...can't you just remove or cut it and replace it with a regular straight pipe?
Yeah i guess this is prolly what i might have to do...i dont mind fiddling with it and using a dremel or other saw to cut the resonnator off and plug the holes, but i dont want to do this with my stock one (only one i have) might have to start searching the junkyards. Not sure this will even create the sound i want since someone already tried ducttapping over the hole and couldnt tell any difference from stock, but if i can find a snorkel somewhere to play with it would be a fun project.

Also got that ARC picture to load, that think looks crazy fancy, all im talking about is the carbon fiber "intake" portion of course.