42.20%
I would have purchased it over my IS 250 6MT/6AT
18.09%
I would come from another brand to purchase it
5.67%
No thanks, happy where I'm at
34.04%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

If an IS350 6MT was available, how many would buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 05:35 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have at least considered the 6MT if it was available for the IS350 but depends on how good it felt ... I did test drive the 6MT IS250 and I thought the shifter was pretty sloppy and imprecise... disappointing. I know Toyota can build a decent shifter, because my MR2 has a pretty satisfying 5MT. But it is nice to know that if I have had too much to drink one night, my wife can drive the 6AT home for me.
Old 06-20-07, 06:40 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

dont forget awd
Old 06-20-07, 07:08 PM
IEMaestro
Pit Crew

I am perfectly happy with how my IS350 AT performs! Having a manual transmission in southern cali traffic is a pain in the ***!
Old 06-20-07, 08:43 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

i wish they had it in mt id go and buy it right now
Old 06-20-07, 09:03 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Here's some food for thought... Of all the new Ferrari's sold in 2006, only 17% were sold with the manual gearbox. The rest were Ferarri's F1 paddle-shifter transmission. And Ferrari's are ordered, which means these fortunate ones chose this transmission, and didn't "settle" for it. Now I know that the A760E in the IS350 is nothing like the F1, but it helps me make the following point: If the IS350 was available with a DSG or SMG-like gearbox, then HELL YEAH I would have ordered one. Otherwise, I'll stick with my auto, thank you very much...

Javier
but those are different than our own transmissions. Our transmission is full AT. It offers very little control, Despite the farce for paddle shifters on the steering column. The IS350 transmission does what it wants.

THe ferarri's paddle shifter does what you tell it to do. Big difference.
Old 06-20-07, 10:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
but those are different than our own transmissions. Our transmission is full AT. It offers very little control, Despite the farce for paddle shifters on the steering column. The IS350 transmission does what it wants.

Which was my point exactly... I still like the A760E very, very much.

Javier
Old 06-20-07, 11:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k

Im so glad the trans wont let me do what i want and you should be too, why? Lemme tell you a story.

When the wrx first came out what do you think the guys did as soon as they bought it? turn up the boost, what happened next? lotta blown motors going back for warrenty AFTER they turned the boost back down. Guess what happened at subaru, they figured it out very very quickly... yep. If the trans in our IS's did what we wanted them to do? the 06 IS guys would have messed it up for all us 07 and up guys and we would have to drive very carefully so we dont hold gears and what, throw a rod? suck a valve? burn the main bearings? who knows? and im glad were not finding out.

The IS is not expensive enough to keep it out of the hands of the 2fast2stupid generation.
Old 06-21-07, 12:22 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

If Lexus would dump the trash tranny in the 250 and put in the time and effort to put in a transmission worthy of of the 2nd gen, then yes I'd buy a 350MT. I like picking my shift points.
Old 06-21-07, 06:59 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

14 years of driving a stick...nice now to have auto trans.
Old 06-21-07, 07:24 AM
imranb
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately us European folk don't have the pleasure of the IS350 if we did I would have definitely gone for the 350 6MT over the 250 6MT.
Old 06-21-07, 11:25 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Im so glad the trans wont let me do what i want and you should be too, why? Lemme tell you a story.

When the wrx first came out what do you think the guys did as soon as they bought it? turn up the boost, what happened next? lotta blown motors going back for warrenty AFTER they turned the boost back down. Guess what happened at subaru, they figured it out very very quickly... yep. If the trans in our IS's did what we wanted them to do? the 06 IS guys would have messed it up for all us 07 and up guys and we would have to drive very carefully so we dont hold gears and what, throw a rod? suck a valve? burn the main bearings? who knows? and im glad were not finding out.

The IS is not expensive enough to keep it out of the hands of the 2fast2stupid generation.
Isnt that the point of a manual transmission? To allow you to choose the correct gear? I dont see how a manual would change the reliability of the car if driven as intended. I had no problems with my last cars and their manual transmissions even with repeated burnouts and redline shifting. I think it has nothing to do with abuse and everything to do with knowing how to use it.

To quote the great Forrest Gump "stupid is, is stupid does".
Old 06-21-07, 11:50 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously Lexus in their research asked a similar poll of its main audience and decided that demand for a 350MT did not justify the incremental expenses and the loss in production scale.

I think this poll is telling, when only 50% or so of the most enthusiastic drivers of the car are saying they'd probably buy it. When it's time to actually buy though, probably half of those drop out due to practical reality, wife's demands, availability, etc. Plus, Lexus did a good job of tricking people that the paddle shifters are a close substitute, so only the truly hard core manual drivers would get the manual, I think.

This is a good poll and I think really shows that the market for the MT is just not there to justify another variant of the model. The only consideration I would think of is that it would please the car magazines who love having manuals for their track and backroads drives. For an overwhelming majority of drivers (who are not on CL), an auto with the paddles is a perfect combo.
Old 06-21-07, 11:52 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbenji
Isnt that the point of a manual transmission? To allow you to choose the correct gear? I dont see how a manual would change the reliability of the car if driven as intended. I had no problems with my last cars and their manual transmissions even with repeated burnouts and redline shifting. I think it has nothing to do with abuse and everything to do with knowing how to use it.

To quote the great Forrest Gump "stupid is, is stupid does".
No i understand what your saying and your not wrong, im talking about an auto trans thats lets you do what you want, yes maybe im going to the extreme with the wrx example. Just that i've noticed that many ppl here are from the 2fast2stupid generation. Im sure many ppl asked the question, 'whats double clutch' after that movie came out and all the sticker add hp that was all over the net a few yrs back...

Oh nm, im just ranting... rabble rabble rabble.
Old 06-21-07, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Manual? Sure, if the wife could drive it, but she can't and she won't learn. We even bought a Scion tC with a manual so she could learn to drive it, but she only got frustrated that she had to push in the clutch to come to a stop. Which actually turns out just fine because she doesn't ask to drive the Supra. Ever.

I just know that if we go out and I plan to drink, I'm taking the IS because she'll drive home for sure.

And I couldn't agree more about the quality of the MT in the IS250. Seriously, a Tacoma gearbox? That's just not right!
Old 06-21-07, 04:58 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, they have a tacoma gear box?
Yeah i wish my wife would learn to drive a manual.

Quick Reply: If an IS350 6MT was available, how many would buy it?