IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone tint their front windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 06:04 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very interesting. I have not herd of it. Well one simple fast test i guess you could do is place your hand under the glass on a sunny day. If it burns a little then you know there is not much UV protection.
Old 06-21-07, 10:47 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarlitosPR
I have 40% in the front windshield and 35% in everything else and i see perfect at night. Its your Car do what you like,having in mind if it worth the ticket or not!

ps. the temp diference its noticeble! all my cars have tint all around and in PR its illegal too having the front windshield tinted.
If you can see "perfect" at night with 40% tint you must go by the name of Clark Kent during the day. For us mortals, however, it defies the laws of physics, for no matter what you say, less visible light is coming through than without tint.

And once again, it is not a matter of getting a ticket nor whose car it is. It is driving it safely at night as a responsible person and avoiding killing somebody.
Old 06-21-07, 10:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by kikaida
That is very interesting. I have not herd of it. Well one simple fast test i guess you could do is place your hand under the glass on a sunny day. If it burns a little then you know there is not much UV protection.
Not exactly. Infrared feels hot. Ultraviolet burns your skin. So, if you get sunburned while your skin is exposed in the car, then it's not doing anything against UV.

I'm just surprised all that information about the glass isn't on the Lexus site anymore. Weird.
Old 06-21-07, 11:15 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Not to flame anyone, but this thread is more proof that the OP lacks life experiences, and doesn't understand the law.

I had a friend that had his windshield tinted, got into an accident that was his fault, and wound up killing 2 people, and one was an infant girl. He claimed he "didn't see it coming".

Vehicular homicide...he's now behind bars.

A car isn't a toy, despite the fact that some people think so. Legal ramifications will teach you over time.

The OP is too immature to understand, but rest assured, if I see you driving with a tinted windshield on my roads, I'm noting your license plate and reporting you to the police. Not to be a pain in the ***, but this is illegal in almost all states, and there is a reason for it.
Old 06-22-07, 02:02 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Not to flame anyone, but this thread is more proof that the OP lacks life experiences, and doesn't understand the law.

I had a friend that had his windshield tinted, got into an accident that was his fault, and wound up killing 2 people, and one was an infant girl. He claimed he "didn't see it coming".

Vehicular homicide...he's now behind bars.

A car isn't a toy, despite the fact that some people think so. Legal ramifications will teach you over time.

The OP is too immature to understand, but rest assured, if I see you driving with a tinted windshield on my roads, I'm noting your license plate and reporting you to the police. Not to be a pain in the ***, but this is illegal in almost all states, and there is a reason for it.
wtf? i already said i wasn't going to do it? what more do you want, a note from my parents saying that i never tinted my windshield? i think you need to relax man, and don't call me immature. there's a difference between immaturity and inexperience. an inexperienced thing to say is that tinted windshields are really GOOD cause they block out sun from the car. that's inexperienced. an immature thing to say would be that i hope you get in an accident trying to write down that guys plate. see the difference?
Old 06-22-07, 02:23 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

15% all around is a nice thing, too bad i wouldn't last a day in my city with that.

As long as you don't do your windshield lower than 40% you should be ok but when I went to get my windshield tinted, the owner of the shop said he used to have 35% windshield in L.A. and every single weekend he took the car out he got impounded, but since he knew the owner of the tow company he just tinted their windows for free, but still the hassle. the car he brought to work was 50% windshield, 50% front and 35% rear and it looked as dark as my car, it works that good. I just hate the direct heat beating on my dash.
Old 06-22-07, 08:37 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Senateman1
My tint guys doesnt like to do it. He said that since there is all the electronics in the dash, when he squeeges the windshield....all that water/soap has no where to go but down in the dash. He said he would do it but doesnt want to be responsible for anything burning out.
Put a towel on the dash ... problem solved
Old 06-22-07, 01:30 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

i also have installed a see-through thermal tint on my windshield and the difference is significant <-- will give you the ice-cube you are looking for, i live in Saudi Arabia & my air condition is midway for the first few minutes, then I set it on low... as cold as ice !!!
Old 06-22-07, 01:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Who makes that film?

I'd love to find something for my Supra to keep the dash from curling again. Installing a new dash was a major PITA but it sure looks a lot better than the 13 year old one.
Old 06-22-07, 03:15 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

lobux, V-Kool did mine.
Old 06-22-07, 03:27 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
lobux, V-Kool did mine.
wow you just reminded me, my friend got something like this done on his 911 last summer. like it is completely clear but doesn't allow any sun in. im gonna call him right now
Old 06-22-07, 03:36 PM
Julez
Intermediate

yeah V-Kool is 70% except the only place I know that has it won't tint the windshield too bad, yeah that is another way to go
Old 06-22-07, 04:57 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't do it. The front windshield of the IS is already small, I wouldn't want to be smaller.
Old 06-23-07, 03:29 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Julez
yeah V-Kool is 70%...
That weird, mine is see-through, i'll post a picture asap
Originally Posted by t.is350.h;
I wouldn't do it. The front windshield of the IS is already small, I wouldn't want to be smaller.
?????
Old 06-23-07, 10:21 AM
neil0311
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarlitosPR
I have 40% in the front windshield and 35% in everything else and i see perfect at night. Its your Car do what you like,having in mind if it worth the ticket or not!

ps. the temp diference its noticeble! all my cars have tint all around and in PR its illegal too having the front windshield tinted.
I'm sure this will make me flame bait...but here I go on my soapbox:

Driving is a privilege, not a right. You can't "do what you like".

Things like tinting your windsheild are illegal in every state (and PR) beacuse it not only puts you at risk, but more importantly, it puts other people at risk from your silliness. I'm a pilot, and let me tell you, the gov't tells you a lot of things that you have to do as a pilot, including getting a medical exam every two years. That's because lives are at stake. Driving a car is no different, except that any breathing corpse with 50 bucks and a halfway decent eyes is usually allowed to do it if they can meet some least common denominator standard.

Driving is fun and having a car is a great freedom, but you have to face the responsibility too and do it with some common sense.

Quick Reply: Anyone tint their front windshield??