IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

This is why old people shouldn't drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 11:22 PM
j|michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joonsta
Would my insurance rate get jacked up even if I'm declared 100% innocent?
Your insurance rates won't go off as long as it's proven as a no fault accident. even if there are no witnesses/no police report as long as the other driver admits fault, which i assume he will since he's an older guy and probably pretty honest.

i got sideswiped last year in my denali, some guy decided to take a right turn from the left lane, as i was in the right turn lane. swiped my whole front panel and pumper. anyways, there were no witnesses and no report. he admitted fault and his insurance paid, no questions asked.

don't worry about it, just call your insurance company and place a claim (i think you already did?) they'll work with his insurance and everything will be taken care of. make sure you take it to a GOOD body shop. there is a lot of variation in quality from shop to shop. especially since it was his fault, and his insurance is paying for it, make sure they don't cut any corners.
Old 06-20-07, 11:30 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm surprised airport police didn't show up. they're always swarming around lax. i see at least 4 of em everyday whenever i pass by to n from work.
Old 06-21-07, 12:18 AM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

luckily you have AAA... AAA lets you fix your car asap even before they determine who's at fault. in your case, you will have nothing to worry about since you are not at fault, thus will not increase your premium. but for me, i would wait til AAA deem the other person at fault so i would get a car rental while my car is being fixed, but that's a personal choice.
Old 06-21-07, 01:16 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

In CA, I believe that if the damage is over $500 you need to report it. LA cops will come to fill out a report (which you should always do b/c it makes an insurance claim much easier), but it may take a while.
Old 06-21-07, 07:01 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cc16ue
......you will have nothing to worry about
Too true. That first dent always hurts the most, and in your case, it was a rather big one. If this is the worst thing to happen to you in the next year you're a very lucky person. I'd be very surprised if your insurance rate increases, especially if you have a clean record.

So let AAA fix it, go hug your grandparents, and think about the kind of road rage that causes your first reaction to be wanting to punch out the guy who side swipped you.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-07, 07:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default By the way...

...let's not discriminate "old folks." They have every right to be on the road as you do.

It is unfortunate that it happened. However, anyone could have hit you if they weren't cautious or paying attention.

Now, let them go buck wild...
Old 06-21-07, 07:17 AM
imranb
Driver School Candidate

In the UK you have to file a police report or no insurance claim, it is always best to call the accident in whether if they come out or not. In the last accident I had it wasn't my fault and the driver behind was trying to blame it on me (3 car pile) I called the cops and told them no1 was taking responsibility and they soon showed up and did roadside statements etc.
If you want the cops to show tell em no1 is accepting liability and they will turn up seems to work in the UK maybe it'll work in the US?
Old 06-21-07, 07:34 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as long as you got the information all correct, you shouldnt need any witnesses. Those will only help if the accident goes into mediation because he denies that it was his fault. However with the proof (photos and Im sure you can make a nice diagram of what happened) you have, Im sure there is no way you will loose.
Old 06-21-07, 08:05 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cc16ue
cops won't show up to the accident scene if no one is injuried in CA
THIS IS INCORRECT!!!
Old 06-21-07, 08:15 AM
IEMaestro
Pit Crew

Sorry about your car. AAA is a great company, I've been with them since I started driving at 16, now I'm 33. I've never had any problems with them. I've been in an accident only once, about six years ago in my Toyoya Solara, and they took great care of me.
Old 06-21-07, 08:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

on my State Farm insurance card it says...

"if you have an accident - notify the police immediately

write down names, adresses, ph #'s, lic plates of persons involved.

notify your agent immediately

do not admit fault, don't discuss the accident with anyone but the police or your agent."
Old 06-21-07, 08:43 AM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

yeah i think everyone should thake a driveing test with a cop every 5-10 years even a sppeder or a agresave driver can drive good with a cop sitting next to him
Old 06-21-07, 09:21 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sorry you were the victim of this side swipe; I know how upsetting that can be. But please don’t rant on all old people. Generalizing like that is prejudicial. Yes, some people are too old to drive, but others are very good drivers, as shown by their low accident rate for their age group. BTW, I’m 70 years old and take pride in my driving record.
Old 06-21-07, 10:56 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right about old people. They drive so unaware of their surroundings. My father-in-law did something similar but when it happened he just kept dragging his truck across the other car. I would be irrate if that happened
Old 06-21-07, 11:01 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Its amazing how many people keep saying to call the cops. Here in L.A. the cops take accidents as the very lowest priority especially those accidents with no injuries. A few years back I got hit by this moron that decided to merge off the freeway entrance lane back into traffic...which was my car. This guy was completely at fault and was trying to egg me into a fight so I just got back in my car and called the police. Even with the operator on the phone hearing the guy threatening me the police took 55 minutes to show up. The guy who hit my car was long gone but I had his license plate at least. The first thing out of the very annoyed cops mouth was "sorry for the delay but this stuff isnt exactly a priority for us".

Quick Reply: This is why old people shouldn't drive...