IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

This is why old people shouldn't drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 11:13 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m sorry you were the victim of this side swipe; I know how upsetting that can be. But please don’t rant on all old people. Generalizing like that is prejudicial. Yes, some people are too old to drive, but others are very good drivers, as shown by their low accident rate for their age group. BTW, I’m 70 years old and take pride in my driving record.
WOW your 70 and in a IS? Is your other car a LS or ES? I do understand boiz will be boiz and we love our toiz no matter what the age... still, did you consider the ES? OR are you some retired professional/amature racer?

ps: course the IS is attractive at any age, some grandpa in a new RX i was parked next too at the azn market was eyeing my car up big time on monday

Last edited by llamaboiz; 06-21-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 11:19 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350ty
I dont know if calling the police is really neccessary in this situation since it doesnt look THAT severe. I dont know about the US, but here in canada, you only call the police if the damage is more than $2000.

But judging by the pictures, in this case it doesnt look that severe, and since you have the other party's info it should be fine.
I always thought you only call the police if the damage looks to be more than $1000. Maybe this is an Ontario thing. Even if the threshold is $2000 I'd still call the police. With the prices they charge to repair things the smallest ding can be costly.
Old 06-21-07, 12:19 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
WOW... all that damage and you never thought of to call the cops??? Any accident you get into you ALWAYS... ALWAYS call the cops. Police reports really help when its not your fault.
cops won't response to that accident, unless someone is really injured.
Old 06-21-07, 12:37 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilverBull
You are right about old people. They drive so unaware of their surroundings.
ROTFLMAO.....as opposed to those teens or 20's who drive totally uncaring about anyone else?

Not that I'm using a walker yet, let's not forget the 18 year old pimple faced, snot nose, whose daddy bought him an IS350 because surprise....he graduated high school. Given all the kids worldly driving experience, he races the IS like a he stole it, expects the rest of the world to get out of his way, and has absolutely no road courtesy. Then, when his has a minor accident he's not thankful that nobody was hurt, but wants to prove his manhood by punching out some oldster, and then whines about the damage to his car.

So much for broad, and wrong generalities, but give it a rest.
Old 06-21-07, 12:42 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW your 70 and in a IS? Is your other car a LS or ES? I do understand boiz will be boiz and we love our toiz no matter what the age... still, did you consider the ES? OR are you some retired professional/amature racer?

ps: course the IS is attractive at any age, some grandpa in a new RX i was parked next too at the azn market was eyeing my car up big time on monday
There you go, stereotyping older drivers. For the record, my car is an Infiniti G35 coupe, certainly not a “grandpa” car. My lease on it is almost up, so I plan to get a 2008 G37 coupe or an IS350. (Of course some of you think I’ll need one with waterproof seats, a cane rack, hearing aide battery dispenser, and a year’s supply of Lawrence Welk CD’s.) The IS250 is actually my wife’s who is 58.

But I would suggest that some of you should be more concerned with teenage drivers than senior citizens. The chart in the attached article shows that even the most elderly (+85) are safer on the road then the 16-19 age group. Having said that, I believe most drivers over 85 should consider not driving anymore. But the 65-84 age groups still has a good record, and stereotyping them is not backed up by the data.

Best and Worst Drivers
Old 06-21-07, 12:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

There are incompetent drivers of all ages on the road in all parts of the world. I understand the rant. You're angry your new car has been unceremoniously christened with an ugly dent and now you have the hassle of getting it fixed. But, the driver's age doesn't matter. Take a peek at the girl + cell phone+ red light = thread if you have any doubts.

My sympathies for your loss. Let's not get carried away with accusations by stereotype.
Old 06-21-07, 12:49 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
But I would suggest that some of you should be more concerned with teenage drivers than senior citizens.......Having said that, I believe most drivers over 85 should consider not driving anymore. But the 65-84 age groups still has a good record, and stereotyping them is not backed up by the data.
Couldn't agree with you any more, Magellan....well said!

BTW, them younger women are dangerous.
Old 06-21-07, 12:54 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thier is always one tough guy in the group........
Anyway, in CA it is left up to the drivers involved to complete the nessacary paperwork in any collision that does not result in an injury. But it is up to the individual jurisdictions if they will respond or not, if it is tying up traffic etc. But where i live they dont respond, to busy busting gang bangers to make the streets safe for spoiled kids who think the world owes them a living.
In 5 years of law enforcement i have seen more accidents casued by snot nosed kids (people under 25) yapping on thier phones, eating, playing with thier CD players and thinking in general they own the road then i have ever seen with the elderly.
In fact the person who said that the "elderly tend to be less argumentitive etc etc" is true, one they are usually scared; two they probably have way better insurance then you 3; are more curtious and sympethetic then most average people.

cut them some slack, it was an accident and you can get your door replaced.

I love to watch the LA news and see all the Freeway shootings, they are usually casued by a reaction of a "tough guy" who is not armed who mouthes off or flips the bird to someone who is strapped.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 06-21-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 12:54 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I would call the police if for nothing else to get an accident report. That's the first documentation the insurance company is going to look for. Pretty much anywhere you go they will take a long time to show up unless someone is badly hurt, but I'd rather get someone with authority like a cop to determine who was at fault rather than one person's word against another's, even if the damage was obviously caused by someone else. If waiting an hour greatly reduces the chance of my claim being rejected, then it's worth it.
Old 06-21-07, 01:00 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-21-07, 01:07 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

WOW... all that damage and you never thought of to call the cops??? Any accident you get into you ALWAYS... ALWAYS call the cops. Police reports really help when its not your fault.
in CA, cops wont come unless it's involving body injury.....
Old 06-21-07, 01:08 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

joonsta: sorry to see that man.......just tell them what happened and give all the info to your insurance and they will take care of it....dont stress youself over that....
Old 06-21-07, 01:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Calling the police in California is a waste of time for a non-injury accident. After 27 years of living there and enough road events, I've learned there is only one thing to do: exchange information, file a claim, and if you have any doubts about the other person, go to any CHP office and file your own report.

Filing your own report protects you and the other person from fraud. Lots and lots of bad things happen everyday to good people because they fail to file a report. For example - you get hit in your car by someone - they file a report, but at the scene it was you and the other driver. In the report, it's you, the other driver and all five of his cousins who were in the car and will testify you hit them. Fraud is especially rampant in Cali, so file a report ASAP.
Old 06-21-07, 01:32 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crunch, but glad no one was hurt. If you got his insurance information, you are fine. You will be asked to state your version of the events and the other driver will do the same. Your pictures may be helpful, too. The insurance company will then make a determination as to who was principally at fault. Hopefully, the other driver is honest and it goes smoothly.
Old 06-21-07, 01:41 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Another trick when in this situation, is get the driver's insurance information, and call THEIR insurance company immediately on the spot. Chances are they will admit fault right then and there as there are not too many people that will blatently lie in front of your face.

You could also call your company and start a claim right then.... using the same tactic, although you may want to wait until a claim is started on their end, so that this doesn't become a "he said she said" incident because once this driver speaks to their own insurance company with a slightly different story, things may go on.

Anyway, that's my tip of the day.

Quick Reply: This is why old people shouldn't drive...