IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

This is why old people shouldn't drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 02:14 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
There you go, stereotyping older drivers. For the record,...
Ok i'll admit, alittle yes BUT also alittle no. I know a 77 yr old with a convertable 350z and i tease him every chance i get, and he just smiles at me and says, 'So?' Yes and im teasing you alittle but still... if you've noticed in alot of my posts where the ES is concerned (which is rare here) i've always asked about it. I think its a fantastic car and quite frankly i would love to own one, even as i approach midlife, having always owned 2dr coupes since '83 this is my FIRST 4dr/auto EVER. My midlife is more about practicality/comfort first rather than sport and thou i have no regrets buying the IS i do desire the ES... ramble ramble ramble...

As for the young'ns, just look at igofast, some of his stories, cutting off a van and getting bumped for his trouble, racing others on crowed roads... No matter what we might say about this type of activity, EVERYONE here was young once and WE'VE ALL DONE/ACTED this way. So some of you, dont play 'the high road' pfft... You live you learn, some ppl have to learn the hard way, did you listen to the 'old farts' when you were young??? Theres a saying for this and it goes like this:

'Young dumb and full of ***/Old smart and full of fart'
Old 06-21-07, 02:27 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Calling the police in California is a waste of time for a non-injury accident. After 27 years of living there and enough road events, I've learned there is only one thing to do: exchange information, file a claim, and if you have any doubts about the other person, go to any CHP office and file your own report.

Filing your own report protects you and the other person from fraud. Lots and lots of bad things happen everyday to good people because they fail to file a report. For example - you get hit in your car by someone - they file a report, but at the scene it was you and the other driver. In the report, it's you, the other driver and all five of his cousins who were in the car and will testify you hit them. Fraud is especially rampant in Cali, so file a report ASAP.
Most agencies now have the ablity to file a report online, just log on submit the information and they will issue a case number. It is used for non life threatening crimes like vandalism auto theft, damage or other low level crimes.

as for older people driving nice cars, the majority of older people i know tend to have alot more money then the average person and have much nicer cars. watch the online car auctions like the ones on speed channel, how many "younger" people plop down a million dollars on a cuda or something of that nature, i dont know alot of young people who do.
Old 06-21-07, 03:34 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Ok i'll admit, alittle yes BUT also alittle no. I know a 77 yr old with a convertable 350z and i tease him every chance i get, and he just smiles at me and says, 'So?' Yes and im teasing you alittle but still...
Hey, I don’t mind the teasing. In fact I sort of like it. Certainly I enjoy the occasional double-take I get from others as I drive off in my G35 coupe, when I know they're thinking I should be driving a Buick.

And I will admit in my younger days I got my share of tickets. I used to drive a bright, yellow Porsche 914 when in my thirties, and my driving habits left much to be desired. But I’ve matured a bit and somehow survived. Now feel I have something to offer the kids here on CL on how to die of old age rather than from breaking my neck in a head-on collision.
Old 06-21-07, 03:45 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, I don’t mind the teasing. In fact I sort of like it. Certainly I enjoy the occasional double-take I get from others as I drive off in my G35 coupe, when I know they're thinking I should be driving a Buick.
Hehe, you should see me, i work out of the home doing ceramics and its a dirty job therefore... (and no im not ghey) i shave once a month...maybe, my tshirts have holes, my surf shorts are all faded, i look like a bum WHILE crusing around in a new IS

(No, no website *not needed* sell to hotel tourist shops in waikiki, its not the artsy fartsy but mugs n stuff with petroglyphs.)
Old 06-21-07, 04:59 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

lol.......
Old 06-21-07, 05:10 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about the damage, that sucks. Did you get an estimate on cost to repair that? I'm guessing it has to be nearly $2K, because my car only got keyed and for a repaint across the pass side (no new parts) it was around $1500.
Old 06-21-07, 06:22 PM
1022it
Pole Position

want to laugh? my parents live in Sun City West (a retirement community). there is a Basha's in the middle of this community, it's the only grocery store for abou 7 miles. Long story short, in order to get out of their parking spots, these old people just put their vehicles in reverse, and idle until they hit something! i watched 3 collisions in 20 minutes once
Old 06-21-07, 08:24 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Good luck, I've always called the cops, but then again I'm not in CA.
Old 06-22-07, 04:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i had an accident in my 04 solara where i black camry caused me to hit a town car with an old person in it. he knew the cops in our area better than i did so he got the police report written his way and everything i said omitted.

He was white and i'm korean.

the cops don't like koreans in my neck of the woods

Edit - oh and not all old ppl should be taken off the roads.

I think the world should have a standardized road test for your license as tuff as germany's or harder so that young girls on cell phones and that lady juggling her latte, laptop, makeup and banana(we won't go into details) will lose their license and won't get it back until they learn how to drive.

oh yea, and they should impose bigger fines and penalties for moving violations and not following "No parking" sign and all other signs in general.
Old 06-22-07, 07:42 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

make up a witness. the grandpa won't remember if you had someone with you or not, he was rushing home to change his dipense.
Old 06-22-07, 11:21 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1022it
.....Long story short, in order to get out of their parking spots, these old people just put their vehicles in reverse, and idle until they hit something! i watched 3 collisions in 20 minutes once
See what you have to look forward to.

How about ALL the idiots who see someone (me) slowly backing out of a parking spot, with cars on both sides, who speed up, rather than yield to a car that can't see them. Brilliant!
Old 06-22-07, 12:08 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

For everyone who said I should call the cops, AAA disagreed.

The day I called AAA, they said cops wouldn't have come unless there was an injury.

Originally Posted by PMok
Did you get an estimate on cost to repair that? I'm guessing it has to be nearly $2K,
I got an estimate from Harry's Auto Collision, which is a reputed body shop.

They work for Aston Martin, Lexus, Porsche, and other luxury brand dealerships.

And they said repairing the damages would cost about $4,000.

This includes replacing the side moldings, door panels, etc.

Allstate estimated about $2,400 for reparing the damages.

This did NOT include replacing a few parts...just sanding, painting, and refinishing.

BTW, I’m 70 years old and take pride in my driving record.
Sorry Magellan, I didn't mean to be so stereotypical.

There are bad drivers in every age group, and the other guy happened to be one from an older age group.

I was just so angry that my IS got messed up, I made a thoughtless rant.

It doesn't even have 3,400 miles on it...

Well, thanks to everyone's tips and support so far.

They helped me worry less and actually sleep at night.

But I have a question.

Does my insurance need to make an estimate as well?

Even though I'm not at fault?

And Allstate said that repairs will start as soon as the investigation ends.

How long does that usually take?
Old 06-22-07, 12:12 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cre8
Is your Fuzzy Dice OK?
dude i definitely thought you said something else. i was like wtf? thats a wierd question. hahaha
Old 06-22-07, 01:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by joonsta
...Sorry Magellan, I didn't mean to be so stereotypical.

There are bad drivers in every age group, and the other guy happened to be one from an older age group.

Well said, and a good sign of maturity! With age, you'll even learn to hold your tongue without feeling like you've sold out. I sure did.

Well, thanks to everyone's tips and support so far.

They helped me worry less and actually sleep at night.

But I have a question.

Does my insurance need to make an estimate as well?

Even though I'm not at fault?

And Allstate said that repairs will start as soon as the investigation ends.

How long does that usually take?
Every insurance company is a little different, especially in the timing of things. Your adjuster will make a file and populate it with the police report, an accident report in their own format, statements from the drivers, repair estimates, and a determination of fault (probably even more, but every time I've talked to an adjuster about a claim I opened there was a pretty thick file involved.) The adjuster has to determine an amount for the claim, get it authorized (depending on the amount), and either cut you a check or cut the shop a check.

You can take your car anywhere for repair, but they will only pay a certain amount. Most shops will work with you on this, some will not. I know my insurance had a list of shops whose work carried a lifetime guarantee if I used them. I used two different ones. One of them was really good, the other was crap. Unless you have prior experience with a shop, it's all a crapshoot anyway. Even good shops occasionally do bad work, and no matter what they're up against the gun for time - even though they charge more for insurance work, they still have to get it done quickly if they're going to make money on the job.

Patience is your friend here. I know you're upset because your ride has been violated, but if you are patient and insist on quality work (don't be afraid to be really picky and have them rework anything you don't like!), you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
Old 06-22-07, 03:34 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joonsta
Sorry Magellan, I didn't mean to be so stereotypical.

Thanks for your comments.

To tell a sad personal tale, when my father turned 84 about 12 years ago he found himself denting a few fenders in his car, sort of what happened to you, and he was often getting lost. He called me one day and asked me to sell his car as he had decided not to drive anymore lest he kill somebody. I sold his car for him, and it was one of the saddest days in my life, as I remembered as a child how he drove the family everywhere and was an excellent driver. From the age of 84 until he died at 94 I now drove him wherever he needed to go as he sat silently as a passenger.

I guess I’m saying that we should keep in mind that it will happen to us all, and perhaps we should be more understanding to these elderly drivers as they finally decide to give up one of life’s greater pleasures--- and as we await our turn.

Quick Reply: This is why old people shouldn't drive...