IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 06:03 PM
maxmurder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its funny how i constantly ask myself this exact same question, i m glad u started a thread about it
ne way, i get a lot of compliments about my IS from my friends (mostly females ) they all think the 2IS look more luxury/expensive than c-class n 3-series
Old 06-21-07, 06:15 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
you can AFFORD to get a german car.....but it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg for maintenance down the road......

sure you dont have to pay anything for the first 4 years/whatever miles (cos they only change your oil every 10K miles!). The REAL hidden cost is the maintenance after 50K miles....

IF you plan to drive a car and sell it before their so called "FREE maintenance" expires, those are perfect cars to get....as you dont have to pay a dime for it (as they already added the cost of maintenance in the purchase price)......
Actually, the cost associated with maintaining a (my) BMW was never an issue. I was fully expecting large repair bills and expensive preventative maintenance, and I was ok with that. What I was not prepaired for, and is indeed the reason I'm coming over to the Lexus side, was the duration and frequency of repairs on a car that is less than 2 years old.

Put another way, I'm ok with 2k here and 3k there for a total of a few days to a week at most a year; that's the price you pay to play. What I am not ok with is a trip to the shop 2-5 days a month on average. To me, that was the killer.

Hopefully the Lexus will be a different experience.
Old 06-21-07, 06:20 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
Oh it will be, its a toyota after all.
Old 06-21-07, 06:24 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

there is always the whos better than who factor in the car market and believe me! once you change from brand to brand you get confused. so enjoy your kickass ride and like you said in the begining dont give a *#@k and dont worry about others think just what you think and makes you feel ok would matter.

ps. bmw,mb,ect. been there and done that love lexus! my next car its a IS350 or IS-F depends on the price of the ÏS-F here in P.R. NOT A MILLIONAIRE YET.
Old 06-21-07, 06:26 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I definately get more looks when im in the MB then the IS...go figure...but I think most ppl in my area don't recognize the Lexus badge as easily/quickly as the MB badge.

PS. the MB is leased & the wifey's...

However, I'm young all my friends are young 24-28yrs old range...and we all have entry level cars and are damn proud of them ('06 325xi, 07' G35x, '06 TSX, '05 330i). We all work hard for what we have and thats all that matters...
Old 06-21-07, 06:33 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better yet, who gives a [Edited] about what other people think?

Last edited by CK6Speed; 06-22-07 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Swearing.
Old 06-21-07, 07:01 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

This is all myth spread by lexus coolaid drinkers. Now I'm sure you are not lying about your bmw being in the shop 5 days a month - wink wink. What exactly were the problems? Maybe I can help you.

I have M3 that have seen more than dozen track days. Some of my friends would say I borderline abuse it. But I do change the oil every 15k miles for free from the stealer per free maintenace and on top of that I change it after every 2/3 track days on my own. Oil - special one that you can only buy at the stealer or some specialty shop like turner for $10 a bottle time 6 - and filter costs $70 something with bmwcca discount. Not an arm and a leg. Not a single day spent at stealers except free oil changes and inspections. I guess I have less to break since I got it non-loaded as possible. Only zenon and SMG. Oh and I bought 2nd set of OEM 18's so I can dump the fronts to some guy with 325 who wanted M3 wheels and I have a square setup, and did change out the brake fluid to high temp one and installed SS lines.

No power seats - are you growing up like a teenager? my seat position never moves and I don't let anyone else drive it so why do you need adj???
No CD changer/audio upgrade - I would've deleted radio/CD all together if it was offered from as factory delete option. I do need AC though.
No NAV - Are you all females who don't know where you are going??
No sun/moonroof - get a vert if you need sun on your bald heads. Otherwise it's just dead weight on the wrong place.

Granted, early production E46 M3's engines blew up but that was pre-2003.5 and even those it's not like they all blew up. I haven't heard any regular 3's engines blowing up - minus idiots money shifting. I mean people do complain in the forums about rattles and weather striping falling off etc but mine hasn't fellen off yet and if there are constant rattles on my ride, I can't hear them.

Actually, the cost associated with maintaining a (my) BMW was never an issue. I was fully expecting large repair bills and expensive preventative maintenance, and I was ok with that. What I was not prepaired for, and is indeed the reason I'm coming over to the Lexus side, was the duration and frequency of repairs on a car that is less than 2 years old.

Put another way, I'm ok with 2k here and 3k there for a total of a few days to a week at most a year; that's the price you pay to play. What I am not ok with is a trip to the shop 2-5 days a month on average. To me, that was the killer.

Old 06-21-07, 07:10 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tt061880
Maybe the IS250 is an entry level but the IS350 definely not an entry level.

So what would make the 250 an entry level car and not the 350.
Old 06-21-07, 07:13 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
This is all myth spread by lexus coolaid drinkers. Now I'm sure you are not lying about your bmw being in the shop 5 days a month - wink wink. What exactly were the problems? Maybe I can help you.

I have M3 that have seen more than dozen track days. Some of my friends would say I borderline abuse it. But I do change the oil every 15k miles for free from the stealer per free maintenace and on top of that I change it after every 2/3 track days on my own. Oil - special one that you can only buy at the stealer or some specialty shop like turner for $10 a bottle time 6 - and filter costs $70 something with bmwcca discount. Not an arm and a leg. Not a single day spent at stealers except free oil changes and inspections. I guess I have less to break since I got it non-loaded as possible. Only zenon and SMG. Oh and I bought 2nd set of OEM 18's so I can dump the fronts to some guy with 325 who wanted M3 wheels and I have a square setup, and did change out the brake fluid to high temp one and installed SS lines.

No power seats - are you growing up like a teenager? my seat position never moves and I don't let anyone else drive it so why do you need adj???
No CD changer/audio upgrade - I would've deleted radio/CD all together if it was offered from as factory delete option. I do need AC though.
No NAV - Are you all females who don't know where you are going??
No sun/moonroof - get a vert if you need sun on your bald heads. Otherwise it's just dead weight on the wrong place.

Granted, early production E46 M3's engines blew up but that was pre-2003.5 and even those it's not like they all blew up. I haven't heard any regular 3's engines blowing up - minus idiots money shifting. I mean people do complain in the forums about rattles and weather striping falling off etc but mine hasn't fellen off yet and if there are constant rattles on my ride, I can't hear them.
Where to start:

Bad ECU programming on delivery, repaired.
Engine failure resulting in loss of all oil, towed and repaired.
Replaced transmission.
Replaced clutch and flywheel.
There is something else I'm forgetting....

Car is currently under 14k miles, had it's first oil change @ 7500. No other scheduled maintenance apart from various fluid top-offs.

Edit: Total time in shop so far 40+ days.
Old 06-21-07, 07:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
...Oil - special one that you can only buy at the stealer or some specialty shop like turner for $10 a bottle time 6 - and filter costs $70 something with bmwcca discount...
70bucks WITH discount is NOT an arm and a leg to you...well hey, everyone is different right? for some of us its not how much money you have but how wisely you spend it, imo 70bucks for a oil change is a rip-off, but hey, its your money. w/e
Old 06-21-07, 07:28 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Never head of bad ECU programming upon delivery. Did the car not start? If it started, how did you/stealer know there was bad ECU programming?
What failed in the engine that caused loss of oil?
Do you know how to shift without burning the clutch? Are you dumping the clutch at 5k launch? How does tranny, clutch flywheel all go out?

If you are not screwing up the shifting, maybe you should've driven it more. 14k in 2 years. Must've be living like 5 miles from work.

Where to start:

Bad ECU programming on delivery, repaired.
Engine failure resulting in loss of all oil, towed and repaired.
Replaced transmission.
Replaced clutch and flywheel.
There is something else I'm forgetting....

Car is currently under 14k miles, had it's first oil change @ 7500. No other scheduled maintenance apart from various fluid top-offs.

Edit: Total time in shop so far 40+ days.

Last edited by kt22cliff; 06-21-07 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 07:32 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Yeah I live well enough to spend 70 on an oil change and not go hungry. I would say 40k for a glorified/rebadged camry is more of a ripoff but hey it's your money

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
70bucks WITH discount is NOT an arm and a leg to you...well hey, everyone is different right? for some of us its not how much money you have but how wisely you spend it, imo 70bucks for a oil change is a rip-off, but hey, its your money. w/e
Old 06-21-07, 07:58 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i like the is it is sportey and not a boat i hate boats and cars that dont turn like my moms es 300
Old 06-21-07, 08:05 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Viewing the C-class as an entry level for MB is such an North American point of view. What happened to A-class? Or even Smart cars?

Having owned a C-class previously, it was a solid car in my opinion. It may not live up to the luxurious image as an MB brand, but it didn't do all that bad. I was actually surprised on how sporty it felt. In addition, if I must say, the C-coupe would be the entry level, not the C sedan.

As for the IS, there's nothing entry level about it, it is a bit small and priced the lowest but I would take the 2IS over ES.
Old 06-21-07, 08:22 PM
RXISF
Rookie

I knew someone that had a 3 series with manual roll down windows (probably a 2001 or 2002). To me, that brought down the image of BMW. When have you seen a Lexus without all power if not extra power features? I wasn't going to buy a 'luxury vehicle' BMW when equivalents were being leased with such cheap options.

Quick Reply: Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?