IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Using shift-mode to slow down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 08:38 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Using shift-mode to slow down?

Might be a stupid question, but could there be any ill-effects from using engine braking with shift/sport mode to slow down? Like if you see a traffic light up ahead turning red, you slowly shift down to about 2nd gear, just to avoid applying the brakes until as late as possible?

Would extra wear on the engine/transmission make up for any wear you spare your brake pads/rotors?
Old 06-22-07, 08:48 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Engine braking puts added stress on the transmission. Speeds up the wear and tear process as well. It is cheaper to replace brake pads/rotors than to replace your transmission. Use the breaks thats what are there for.
Old 06-22-07, 08:53 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Bleh, I was afraid of that, but that's what I thought...
Old 06-22-07, 09:20 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe i tend to do that as well... if our transmission was SMG (as in the M3s), will the wear still be the same?
Old 06-22-07, 09:27 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur with the first guy. It costs waaaaay more to fix/replace a clutch or transmission than it does to replace some brake pads. The pads themselves normally cost 20 bucks or so. Just learn how to replace the pads and you will be golden. Trust me, it is a bad idea in the long run.
Old 06-22-07, 10:19 AM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Engine braking is only useful in slippery weather, however with VDIM, I believe it's a bit of a moot point.

Question: I was under the impression that the 350 didn't use engine breaking but rather just modulated the brakes to give that same feeling?
Old 06-22-07, 10:21 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Nope, dont do it. Use your brakes, they are cheaper!
Old 06-22-07, 10:31 AM
dong888
Pole Position

I beg to differ. For my driving, I apply brake and down-shift at the same time. As long as you do not stress the gear too much (keeping the rev below 4K), you should be fine. For example, upon exiting the freeway, I will down-shift to 4th gear and apply brake at the same time keeping the rev at around 3K ~ 4K. That is how people would drive with a manual transmisssion. Unless you want to corner really fast, you can down-shift to 2nd gear and make a tight turn.
Old 06-22-07, 12:00 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going down a mountain, yes engine brake. If your just driving on reg streets use your brakes. Thing is one day you may really need your brakes so the less worn the better. Course this applys to oahu ppl who have to go over the mountian everyday for work.
Old 06-22-07, 12:04 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

engine braking has has its place. I have only used engine braking when i drive a manual car, i don't really see why you should use it if you drive a auto
Old 06-22-07, 12:12 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badpinoy
engine braking has has its place. I have only used engine braking when i drive a manual car, i don't really see why you should use it if you drive a auto
I hear this a lot, but wouldn't it have many of the same damaging effects on a manual as it would on an automatic?

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
Question: I was under the impression that the 350 didn't use engine breaking but rather just modulated the brakes to give that same feeling?
It sounds to me like you're thinking of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive.
Old 06-22-07, 12:16 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Brakes are cheaper
Old 06-22-07, 12:18 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dong888
I beg to differ. For my driving, I apply brake and down-shift at the same time.
Brake pads are a normal wear item, your automatic transmission isn't. Different strokes....but your comment "you should be fine", is wishful thinking in my experience. You should have gotten a manual tranny, if that's how you drive it.

Good luck, and you'll most likely sell your IS, before the tranny goes. Just hope no one I know buys it.
Old 06-22-07, 12:25 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So why is this any better to do in a manual? Are they generally just sturdier transmissions?

I would think if it was bad for an auto, it would similarly be bad for a manual.
Old 06-22-07, 01:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It is similarly bad for a manual. The brakes will stop the car without any assistance from the engine. There is a proportioning system for the brakes to balance front and rear braking appropriately, and using the engine as a brake only upsets this balance.

There is nothing wrong with downshifting going into a turn so you are in the right gear on exit, and there is nothing wrong with downshifting and braking while coming to a stop. But there is a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the driveline if you ask the engine and transmission to do what the brakes should be doing.

As everyone said - brake pads are cheap - transmissions are not. Simple economics.

Quick Reply: Using shift-mode to slow down?