IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Red center tails......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 10:42 AM
Swisha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty bad idea, people wont know if you're backing up or just braking. Plus it makes harder to back up at night and illegal.
Old 06-24-07, 11:22 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Definitely nice looking Mark. Guys its not that hard to tell if you're backing up vs braking. You're either moving forward or backward.
Old 06-24-07, 12:03 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex84
Definitely nice looking Mark. Guys its not that hard to tell if you're backing up vs braking. You're either moving forward or backward.
Imagine you're driving downtown and somebody is parking. You weren't paying complete attention, so you think they are pulling into a diagonal parking spot, when in fact they were backing up and don't see you.

And never underestimate the amount of visual help some people need when they drive, especially in this country.
Old 06-24-07, 12:16 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Apex84
How bout the fact that its illegal and makes it easier for you to get pulled over.
Old 06-24-07, 01:58 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you think about it.....just about any mod is an invitation to get pulled over. When I go into reverse, you still can see the backup lights....just a little redish tint to it. This car rarely goes to shopping centers or places where I backup.
Old 06-24-07, 02:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
That's what separates adults from kids. The teen years are for rebelling lol.
Wow guessed I missed my teen years then ha ha......guess adults don't mod cars they just leave them like every other car like theirs.
Old 06-24-07, 03:39 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Mod'ing cars does not mean rebelling. People customize all kinds of things to suit their needs. My point was doing something without thinking about the consequences that could potentially be dangerous (which others have pointed out) causing harm to someone is pretty stupid and teenager-like.
Old 06-24-07, 08:03 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Imagine you're driving downtown and somebody is parking. You weren't paying complete attention, so you think they are pulling into a diagonal parking spot, when in fact they were backing up and don't see you.

And never underestimate the amount of visual help some people need when they drive, especially in this country.
That can happen if the tails aren't painted. Mark is right, every mod is an invite for the law. In MD you car has to have minimum ride height of 6", but if you're lowered with a body kit you are below that height without question. Exhaust is illegal in most states also. And lets not forget about tints. Painted tail lights are no worse than any of these mods.
Old 06-24-07, 08:07 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this intresting article about the motives behind alot of the laws and effort to criminalize our beloved sport and hobby.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the Calfiornia Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

In california some of the wierder laws regarding moddification involve decals and thier placement on a car, it cannot be 5 inches lower then the roof of the car (windshield banners) and the rear window the decal cannot be placed in the middle, it must be placed in the lower left or right of the window. no decal can obstruct the headlamp or tail lamps either..... so technically that is the law mr mark "violated".

laws have changed, they have become more strict since i was in law enforcement in 1996-2001 but they laws base is still the same, and it is really left up to officer discrestion and jurisdictional priority. Alot of these laws are used as methods for probable cause and nothing more, if you have tinted side windows i can pull you over and ask to search your car. But i cannot just pull you over to search...... i hope that makes sense. Also from personal experince alot of these laws are revenue generating and nothing more. In fact some agencies will only pull you over in areas they are guaranteed to recive the revenue. In my case i could pull you over on rural road and the county would get the money, but if i pull you over on interstate 5 in california the state gets the revenue...... wierd. But that is how it works. Now honestly if i was still pounding the street and saw mr. mark i would not care.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 06-24-07 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 08:21 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Pics from the DUB show.... this mod is NOT for anyone who is worried about people noticing a white back up light when you're backing out of your parking spot, or for those who are worried about a cop noticing that the 3" strip is colored the same as the rear lenses.....

Old 06-25-07, 10:07 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Anybody notice that the Lexus Dunlop looks a lot like an IS?

Anyway. I think visually, the lights look nice. It's just the practicality of it that makes it infeasible for me.
Old 06-25-07, 10:19 AM
9520G
Lead Lap

Hey Mr.Mark how about a picture of the front?
Old 06-25-07, 10:26 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Lookin' good.
Old 06-25-07, 10:28 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9520G
Hey Mr.Mark how about a picture of the front?
You're in Jersey.....how about just checking out the whole car in person

I think I posted pics of the car from the front already, if that's what you're asking.
Old 06-25-07, 10:33 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

offtopic: MrMark, are u still running roadmagnet springs?? how are those.

Quick Reply: Red center tails......