IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

08 G37 Coupe similar to IS350 performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07 | 09:03 AM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I've always been a little skeptical that even our peppy little IS350's could keep up with this thing. Anyways, I wouldn't be that disappointed if they couldn't. Infiniti seems more than happy to put a super powerful engine in an affordable luxury car. They have also had two extra years to make this car, which is of course a direct response to both the IS350 and the 335i.

When I read on autoblog that Nissan could be massively underrating the VQ37VHR (even more than BMW's N54), and the G37 could actually be putting out as much as 360 bhp, my jaw dropped.

Then there's this.

Not exactly rock-solid proof, but stock-for-stock, I at least think we'd get beat at a traffic light against one of these...
If you read the article though, you'll find that the 335 wins in nearly every aspect but price. I would say the king is very much alive and the BMW NA sales reports will support this. However, I'm buying an IS350, so I could not care less about these two cars
Old 06-26-07 | 10:07 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Even I'll admit that this is an impressive showing from Infiniti; but is it just me or does the BMW look better [outside] than the Infiniti in these pics...? Inside however, I just cannot get over the BMW's '80's interior - this is such a step backwards for BMW especially over my '02 M3's interior which I thought looked much better than it does now. I cannot believe I'm saying this but the G has the better interior IMO. However, even though the materials and looks are far better then the previous abortion of the past, unfortunately the G still suffers from poor assembly and fit-n-finish from the '07's that I've sat in and driven.
Old 06-26-07 | 10:13 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I also prefer the looks of the 335i coupe to the g37 coupe. The 335i's front just looks like it means business while the g37's front is lacklustering - like it might mean business but it rather sit back and drink some lattes while listening to Justin Timberlake.

Anyway, I think it's time for Lexus to introduce an IS coupe to jump into the game between BMW and Infiniti.
Old 06-26-07 | 11:45 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
If you read the article though, you'll find that the 335 wins in nearly every aspect but price. I would say the king is very much alive and the BMW NA sales reports will support this. However, I'm buying an IS350, so I could not care less about these two cars
Yeah, I finally found scans, and I read it... pretty crazy. Literally every single number favored the 335i except price. It was still fairly close, though.
Old 06-26-07 | 02:43 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yeah, I finally found scans, and I read it... pretty crazy. Literally every single number favored the 335i except price. It was still fairly close, though.
Yeah. Same thing happened when the first gen G came out. It was close to a BMW but cheaper. It only really wins the value argument. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, just not for me, and I'm guessing, not for most of the CL members.

P.S. The NAV hard drive idea is really nice in a car in this price range. Props to infiniti. As I understand it, it rips your cds as you listen to them and stores them for later. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 07-19-07 | 04:01 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoddingGit

P.S. The NAV hard drive idea is really nice in a car in this price range. Props to infiniti. As I understand it, it rips your cds as you listen to them and stores them for later. Pretty cool stuff.
Eh the hard drive thing is more of a cool feature than a useful amenity (sp?). In my previous car i had an eclipse aftermarket GPS with the harddrive. I hardly ever used the thing. First let me state mine was a little different i think, it would only record cd's and radio, not mp3's. I prolly would have used it more if it would have recorded mp3s. The reason i found it not useful is because all my music is on Mp3 data cd's. I dont even keep the cd's in my car anymore. Using the harddrive was just like listening to a cd. Also you pretty much had to listen to everything you wanted to record, so you would have to play a cd all the way through, something i dont do very often.
The one nice thing about it that i did enjoy was if a song was playing on the radio and i liked it i could record it, or at least a clip to find it later on the internet to get the whole song, since i usually wouldnt have remembered it otherwise.