IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

open season on IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 06:25 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude!!! This hurt's me just to look. Anything but the TOM's!
....& Mcgard's!
Old 07-03-07, 10:29 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok it looks like ima have to replace the lip afterall. the rubber weather stripping can not be reused and one of the tabs that connect the lip to the bottom of the bumper was snapped. the guy at the body shop also mentioned that the insurance company may be reluctant to cover the cost of a new lip since it's aftermarket. what are people's experience on insurance companies covering aftermarket parts? i was under the impression that they should cover whatever costs it takes to restore the car to whatever condition it was before the accident? ugh... another 3+ month wait now... what a pita! and not to mention they might not even cover it!
Old 07-03-07, 12:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A bird decided to commmit suicide on my IS on the NJ Turnpike.

I was doing 80, and all of the sudden, this bird is in front of me, then all over my windshield. Once I got where I was going, I realized it was lodged into my front grille. I tried to poke it out with an umbrella, but no luck. I'd have to try the work gloves when I got home.

Of course, I had to make a stop b4 getting home. I saw some girl walk by my car in the parking lot, and was clearly traumatized by seeing this bird head sticking out of the front of my car, like one of those stuffed Garfield dolls.

When I got home, I had to park in my neighbor's driveway (they were away on vacation), so the kids playing in my driveway wouldn't see this. Even with work gloves, I couldn't get it all out of the grille--I had to drive over to the do-it-yourself car wash with the high pressure hose to get all the guts and feathers out.

Good news is--NO DAMAGE.

Sorry I have no pix for you....
Old 07-03-07, 02:24 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^^Oh my... that's pretty gross. Glad your car was ok!

Javier
Old 07-03-07, 02:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow a birds head hood ornament. If the kids in your driveway were boys and you pulled up, i bet you woulda been the coolest dad for a wk
Old 07-03-07, 05:11 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoah how did I miss this thread?! Sorry to hear about your car but I'm glad it wasn't any worse and you weren't injured.
Old 07-03-07, 05:23 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Whoah how did I miss this thread?! Sorry to hear about your car but I'm glad it wasn't any worse and you weren't injured.
Thats what I was thinking! Man, he got hit by another toyota too... Sorry you had to go through that man! Hope all ended up well on your end though!
Old 07-03-07, 11:20 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

aww man... they couldn't salvage the tom's rear lip?
Old 07-04-07, 12:57 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
aww man... they couldn't salvage the tom's rear lip?
they probably could but i think i rather get a new lip with the proper rubber weather stripping and the tabs at the bottom intact. the lip was practically still brand new. i still gotta get in contact with the body shop and insurance to see what they have to say about it.
Old 07-04-07, 04:13 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i'm so glad i don't have to waste a new thread just for my picture. my story ISN'T nearly as good as the kamikaze bird. but i do have a kamikaze butterfly! yes, this thing was dead, as you can see it did not want to go head on into the post 150 mile trip radiator, but rather sideways and get stuck for a nice ornament. i thought it was alive when i first saw it, i thought oh a butterfly likes my car. then i looked closer and i saw it LOVED IT TO DEATH!
Attached Thumbnails open season on IS-img_2186.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 04:41 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I remember on my way to a dance last year in my newly waxed IS350, a swarm of bees attacked my car on the freeway. Literally. Like a swarm. It looked like a really thick cloud before I drove through it. A year later, I am still finding dead bees every time I take out the engine covers.

Ultima, sorry to hear about the lip, man. If insurance doesn't cover it, SOMEone has to. I mean, the guy who ran into you... it simply isn't fair to ruin someone else's stuff and not pay for it before it was 'aftermarket'?
Old 07-04-07, 11:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
they probably could but i think i rather get a new lip with the proper rubber weather stripping and the tabs at the bottom intact. the lip was practically still brand new. i still gotta get in contact with the body shop and insurance to see what they have to say about it.
i can probably think of a few reason why insurance won't cover your tom's rear lip - none which i will go into this post. however, in the occurence that your insurance does NOT cover it, get it in writing!... as a matter of fact, document the entire ordeal.

once it is set in stone that neither insurance company will cover your tom's rear lip, go after the guy and get it from him. if the guy flakes, take him to small court for "property damage". if you have everything well-documented, you can not only recover the cost of your tom's rear lip, but also additional material and labor that went into installing it.

on a side note, if you don't want your old tom's rear lip, can you paint it tungsten pearl? i happen to know of a 2is that could use something like that...
Old 07-05-07, 12:28 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

That really sucks! I am happy to hear that no one was hurt...
Old 07-05-07, 02:20 AM
edwardll
Driver

LMAO !!!!! HaPABOY just ..oh man cannot stop laughing..
Ultima I'm sorry to hear this.. I would've been really really ****'d off, so pissed off that I wouldn't even care if anyone got hurt in their vehicle lol..

However, most likely they wont cover that because its "aftermarket" and not "oem"... What you could do is print out a reciept of how much you pay'd for it and since insurance wont cover it.. you bring it to the person that hit you. IDK.. its worth a try to get your lip back..

But if you want.. You can sell the lip to me and I will find a way to repair it... just take some pics to see what i'm dealing with..