Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07 | 10:08 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Speak for yourself - I'm not fat...
YET...

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Also, let's try to stay on topic, guys - OP is asking about the potential harm to his engine from having such a short commute - not whether he's lazy or fat or whatever...

Javier
Ok ok... but OFF topic is more fun BUT NEWAYZ, ok driving 2mi over n over may hurt your car in the long run due to carbon build up, you'll need to OPEN HER UP once in awhile to blow out the carbon. You'll foul the sparkplugs to start...
Old 06-25-07 | 03:18 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

LOL , I am not fat guys.
I don't have time to walk or bike to work, it's inland, and 105F in the summer. I need to go home for lunch, I need to go home pick up my expensive car parts when UPS drop it off at the door. I have considered a bike before but just can't make the logistics work.

I am lucky but only because I bought a house based on my office location, I value my time that's why that's why I choose to live close to work.

I am not going to drive the IS every days to work, I have other beater cars I can drive but they don't have A/C.

The oil analysis is a good idea though.
Old 06-25-07 | 03:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
LOL , I am not fat guys.
No ossifer im no alcamaholic...

So about your beaters, sell them and buy some old camry/corolla with a/c. 2k may even get you one with Kmart plastic spinners
Old 06-25-07 | 03:47 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Actually I just sold my 84 toyota with A/C when I got the Lexus.
My beaters are my fun project cars, they are old enough to worth nothing but I will not give them up. When they are not broken and actually running I do drive them to work.
Old 06-25-07 | 03:56 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I live three miles from my work and drive everyday. I have never thought about it mostly cause I am lazy and it is too hot in Vegas to walk or ride a bike when you have to dress nice for work. Now for the kicker - two days a week I work from home (I know I hate my job). I am thinking about getting a motorcycle or similar just cause gas is rediculous and for the days that I dont have to wear a tie or meet with anyone, it would be nice.

I dont know about the sludge debate (potential harm) because when I am not at work I am usually driving somewhere (about 10 to 20 miles) and I drive pretty hard - matbe that's not good either.
Old 06-25-07 | 04:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Short trips are the hardest on an engine. In your climate, it's not too bad because your humidity is super low. This means there isn't a LOT of water condensing inside the engine on warm up, but there is still condensation and there is acid production from blowby gases mixing in the condensed water that floats on top of your oil until it gets hot enough to boil off.

So, what you'll have is a more corrosive environment inside the engine until you take the car on a single trip longer than 15 minutes at freeway speeds or 20 minutes in stop and go. The key is the oil temperature. The oil has to get hot enough to vaporise the water and have the PCV system purge the acids and unburned hydrocarbon gases in the crankcase.

UOA is a really good idea to determine optimum oil change interval, but fundamentally, your engine will wear more than one that has a longer minimum duty cycle.
Old 06-25-07 | 04:50 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Short trips are the hardest on an engine. In your climate, it's not too bad because your humidity is super low. This means there isn't a LOT of water condensing inside the engine on warm up, but there is still condensation and there is acid production from blowby gases mixing in the condensed water that floats on top of your oil until it gets hot enough to boil off.

So, what you'll have is a more corrosive environment inside the engine until you take the car on a single trip longer than 15 minutes at freeway speeds or 20 minutes in stop and go. The key is the oil temperature. The oil has to get hot enough to vaporise the water and have the PCV system purge the acids and unburned hydrocarbon gases in the crankcase.

UOA is a really good idea to determine optimum oil change interval, but fundamentally, your engine will wear more than one that has a longer minimum duty cycle.
That's a great explanation - thanks!!!

Question: My commute is 4.5-5 miles. The engine is usually running for about 15 minutes. Would it be of benefit to take the long way to the office and run the engine for an additional 5 minutes or so, or would the difference be negligible?
Old 06-25-07 | 04:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 15951
That's a great explanation - thanks!!!

Question: My commute is 4.5-5 miles. The engine is usually running for about 15 minutes. Would it be of benefit to take the long way to the office and run the engine for an additional 5 minutes or so, or would the difference be negligible?
Because the humidity is so high in Florida, you'd be ahead to run just a little longer. If you were in California, I'd say no, but in the Southeast, I'd say for sure, run the full 20 minutes if you can.

Oh, just thought I'd mention - water doesn't stay on top of oil for very long...all the more reason to get the oil hot and boil the water off.
Old 06-25-07 | 09:04 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

Yes short trips in your $40,000.00 will kill your engine! Look *******s these damn cars were made to be driven what did you buy the ****ing thing for to look at.When I had my 350z I though those guys talked about stupid ***** on my 350z. com. But here I have read some stupid *** questions.
Old 06-25-07 | 09:22 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidgaddy
Yes short trips in your $40,000.00 will kill your engine! Look *******s these damn cars were made to be driven what did you buy the ****ing thing for to look at.When I had my 350z I though those guys talked about stupid ***** on my 350z. com. But here I have read some stupid *** questions.
Made to be be driven YOU say... How old are you? You sound like a teenager. Everyone places different values on their cars and treats them accordingly. If i wanted a car to drive around everyday i wouldnt have bought a lexus i tell you, i woulda bought a corolla or a camry. The reason i got a IS350 is BECAUSE i dont have to drive it. IMO its more stupid to buy a $40k car and drive it around everyday... your the one that sounds stupid and immature here.
Old 06-25-07 | 09:44 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

I'am 32 ***** and I DON'T treat my car like *****! A car is not a investment it loses value.IMO it is stupid to buy a $40k car and not drive it! YOU are just not use to having a nice car.Besides when they change body stlyes this will be a thing of the past!
Old 06-25-07 | 10:00 PM
-Senn-
Rookie

Originally Posted by davidgaddy
I'am 32 ***** and I DON'T treat my car like *****! A car is not a investment it loses value.IMO it is stupid to buy a $40k car and not drive it! YOU are just not use to having a nice car.Besides when they change body stlyes this will be a thing of the past!
lmao. 32 going on 15? 40k or not, people want to take care of their investment. When you visit a forum, people on said forum care a lot more then the general public about the topic at hand. We're enthusiasts that care about our cars, so when we want to "pamper" our baby, who are you to judge? Drive your 40k car anyway you want, the rest of us will do the same. Just different opinions.
Old 06-25-07 | 10:21 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Senn-
lmao. 32 going on 15? 40k or not, people want to take care of their investment. When you visit a forum, people on said forum care a lot more then the general public about the topic at hand. We're enthusiasts that care about our cars, so when we want to "pamper" our baby, who are you to judge? Drive your 40k car anyway you want, the rest of us will do the same. Just different opinions.
Hehe thats what i was trying to say

davidgaddy, as for your investment statement, duh...

As for not used to having a nice car... hmm... 69 camero convert show car, best int. of show winner *wish it was best of show */65 geni mustang 98% concourse rdy... guess you right cuz those were 'old' cars...

Change body styles, hmm... so your some guy that will spend his money for new cars all the time? Wow must be nice to be rich... see i live in hawaii and we cant buy new cars all the time, most ppl here live at home or at their spouses home cuz its so expensive, must be nice to be you. Guess having the latest greatest car parked outside your trailer must be really nice.
Old 06-25-07 | 10:30 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, every post lobux makes gives me something new to look up in Wikipedia and Google.
Old 06-25-07 | 10:46 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

NO my car is parked in my garage. I'am not rich but I do have some money.I'am a bondsmen I make a pretty good living getting drugdearlers out of jail!I also have a townhouse that I rent out. HAWAII IS OVER RATED!

Quick Reply: 2 mile short commute