IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

*** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 11:03 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

you know you can just adjust your key fob yourself to open all your doors when you put your hand on the handle or when you use the remote...
Old 06-25-07, 11:40 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

maybe you should go buy an soccer mom mini van if the 2is ain't cuttin' it for you, bro. no, really...

that, and if you're considering performance over safety AND transporting your child around, you've got to re-evaluate your priorities.
Old 06-25-07, 12:39 PM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Let me put on the fireman's suit now, I have been taking a beating

1. Those who are insinuating that I am an unsafe person who needs to get me priorites straight, do realize that this forum has a 34 page thread on how to hack your NAV and watch DVD's while driving right? Please spare me the safety lecture, if you want to compare driving records we can do that.

2. I had forgotten that I could configure the car to unlock all doors upon driver's door handle contact... I will try to find the faq for that.

3. As far as why I would want to unlock the car with it running. Simple, It is 98º here with 50% humidity, sometimes I want to leave the car running when I run into the gas station for a coke. I wouldn't call this unreasonable

4. For the "gentleman" that stated "For $45K, you get the off-the-shelf car Lexus offers you, nothing more", While $45k might be entry level in the Lexus/luxury world, it is still alot of money. And I also find it sad that even the LS has these restrictions.

5. Passenger memory seating restrictions are simply stupid! there is NO good reason why my passenger shouldn't be able to use them while I am driving. If he starts to get chocked by the seat belt, he can use the manual adjustment or disconnect the seat belt.

6. For the person who said I may want to glance at the dvd movie while driving, can you tell me you never glance at a woman on the side of the road, you never EVER take you eyes off the road? That smells like BS to me. There are distractions everywhere. "you" not lexus are held accountable for your actions. sure some idiot sued lexus for allowing him to watch a movie while driving and now it's a restriction to do so.

7. For the person that said I should buy a mini-van, how is that even slightly related. This is a elementary response since I hurt your feelings, and I don't think the 2IS is the best car in the world.

Remember guys, I own one, I am one of the club members here. I am not some outsider starting an argument. These are valid complaints. Sure you may not agree, but when you buy a Lexus, you are saying I WANT not need some niceties, I want some creature comforts, I WANT some convience. All I am saying is that it is damn annoying that half of the cars's ability is restricted while in motion, and the damn key fob should work ALL the time, not just when the car is not running.

Respectfully,
James
Old 06-25-07, 12:44 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

sounds like most of your complaints about the car are user error related except for the memory seat issue.
Old 06-25-07, 12:50 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
At least you havent experienced iDrive, i can tell you would really hate it 100x more than these minor nuisances
I can tell you I hate crippled NAV, playlists, etc. more. We own BOTH cars.
Old 06-25-07, 12:57 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah he does have some valid points. I'm willing to bet the number of accidents caused by using key fobs, adjusting seats, watching DVDs, changing nav destination or playlists while in motion combined is orders of magnitude less than people speeding. I think what we need is something that limits the top speed of cars to the maximum legal speed limit which is probably under 80 mph if Lexus really wants to be safe.
Old 06-25-07, 01:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r1lee
4. Again, memory seats should not be adjustable while the car is in motion or in gear. This one is coming from experience (BMW), I had my cousin in my car with his seat belt on, and i decided to lean over to adjust his seat,cause he couldn't figure it out. I started moving his seat, while we were sitting at a red light. What i didn't notice was, the seatbelt was not adjusting correctly as the seat was. So he ended up getting chocked by the seat belt, I didn't realize this! Again, another safety feature, and i can tell you that this is probably relevant in a BMW also. Sometimes I get annoyed about this feature also...

Hopefully i've answered a few of your complaints.
This makes no sense. You can ADJUST your seat while driving, but not use the memory? C'mon. The seatbelts do extend, and the seats move pretty slow--it's not like the seatbelt should think you are stopping short.
Old 06-25-07, 01:15 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Hey guys,

4. For the "gentleman" that stated "For $45K, you get the off-the-shelf car Lexus offers you, nothing more", While $45k might be entry level in the Lexus/luxury world, it is still alot of money. And I also find it sad that even the LS has these restrictions.
I'm not saying $45K isn't a lot of money. It definitely is. I made my comment to mean that unless you pay like a Saudi oil prince, you're not getting a car exactly the way you want it. You are ranting about features that are standard to a car you willingly chose to buy. Whining that the car is cramping your style and that you deserved more for your $45K just doesn't make sense.

Everybody could think of personal improvements they would like their car to have, but it's easier to share these thoughts with the forum when it's expressed constructively instead of ranting, "This car is a POS! I'd rather have the Subaru or Mitsubishi!"
Old 06-25-07, 01:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, I love the car's mechanical abilities, but these "restrictions" are seriously hamepring my ability to enjoy this car and the $45k I spent on it. If all I'm really getting is performance, I can move over to the new EVO 10 and save 10k at it.
It's o.k. to rant. We all know the concerns you have.

However, I am concerned that you're thinking of getting a Evo. Other than performance, it ain't got nothin' on our IS...
Old 06-25-07, 01:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I'm not saying $45K isn't a lot of money. It definitely is. I made my comment to mean that unless you pay like a Saudi oil prince, you're not getting a car exactly the way you want it. You are ranting about features that are standard to a car you willingly chose to buy. Whining that the car is cramping your style and that you deserved more for your $45K just doesn't make sense.

Everybody could think of personal improvements they would like their car to have, but it's easier to share these thoughts with the forum when it's expressed constructively instead of ranting, "This car is a POS! I'd rather have the Subaru or Mitsubishi!"
There's no way anyone is going to know every nuance of every feature of a car like this. Some things you discover are good, and some not so good. You can't blame someone for complaining they wish they knew before buying when it's some nuance.

Jeez--if he wants to rant, let him rant. No one's forcing you to read the post, or respond to it.
Old 06-25-07, 01:45 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

I bet that if lexus allow the NAV to play DVD's and this guy go into an accident because of this. First thing he will do is sue lexus.
Old 06-25-07, 01:58 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
There's no way anyone is going to know every nuance of every feature of a car like this. Some things you discover are good, and some not so good. You can't blame someone for complaining they wish they knew before buying when it's some nuance.

Jeez--if he wants to rant, let him rant. No one's forcing you to read the post, or respond to it.
Hey, the guy's allowed to rant in a forum, and I'm certainly allowed to rant back if he's prepared for it, which he is.

The door nuances he complains of, the LPS takes care of. The stuff like NAV lockout (well known Toyota policy), and no DVD video in motion (traffic law and common sense) are well known. Arguing that the car doesn't work right when you shut it off before going into Park... well....

So fine.. no memory seat for the passenger while in motion is obscure... If he really wants to rant about that and say he was ripped off for his $45K... go for it.

In this day and age, for such a large purchase, there's no reason to go into a dealership without actually knowing more about the car than even the car sales guy. Between the car magazines, forums, online reviews, KBB, and multiple test drives, there's not too much one should be surprised about when they go into a dealership regarding both the OTD price and the product.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm worked up over this. Something about his message just didn't appeal to me.
Old 06-25-07, 02:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

7. For the person that said I should buy a mini-van, how is that even slightly related. This is a elementary response since I hurt your feelings, and I don't think the 2IS is the best car in the world.
*raises hand*

that would be me, and no, my feelings aren't hurt. i take pride in my ownership experience, but i own and drive a lexus, not a BMW (i joke i joke)... but i digress.

what i understand from your rant is that you're dissatisfied w/ your 2is - since, like i said, "it ain't cuttin' it." well, you have a toddler, and you have to transport your toddler around along w/ all the stuff a toddler needs, why not sell it and get a minivan? (i heard honda oddysey has a lot of neat-o functions to satisfy your need for functionality.)

point is, if you feel like you didn't get what you paid for, sell it and get something else.

but i suppose if you're going to insinuate that IMO the 2is is the best car in the world, i should respond w/ something like "stop riding the WAH-bulance and man up." /OT
Old 06-25-07, 02:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your all missing the MAIN PROBLEM here, marrige/kids. That in itself speaks to the OP mental state, obviously hes CRAZY. We need to solve this problem first, then the rest of the 'car' problems will disappear.
Old 06-25-07, 02:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"you" not lexus are held accountable for your actions. sure some idiot sued lexus for allowing him to watch a movie while driving and now it's a restriction to do so.
Unfortunately when you say 'you, not Lexus' are held accountable for your actions that is not borne out by facts today. Morons will watch a movie, crash, and then sue Lexus because nobody told them it was not safe to do so. Surely when we live in a country when an idiot lawyer can sue a dry cleaning establisment for $54,000,000 because they lost his pants it is not unreasonable for Lexus to want to prevent similar frivolous lawsuits. As you say, there is a 34 page hack on this feature so if it is that important for you to be able to watch movies just go ahead and hack away. It's illegal in every state of the Union, but who cares? James wants to watch his DVD's, so he should be able to do it !!! I guess that is the argument. But whatever happened to being a good Scout and playing by the rules?

The only beef I can see that has any merit is the lockout of the passenger side memory seats while in motion. That is no safety issue.

And leaving the car running at the Quikie Mart to run in and getting a soda is just plain dumb today with hijackings and car theft. As we know a crook can jump in and drive away and the engine will keep running until he turns it off or it runs out of gas. Let's hope he doesn't do it with the kiddie in the back seat.

Quick Reply: *** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**