IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

*** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 01:25 AM
omd316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does any car actually let you watch dvd's on the nav unit while in motion straight from the factory ? I thought you cant since its against the law to do so and people who have front dvd's put in have to sign a waiver saying they will be responsible ? or maybe im just completely off
Old 08-18-07, 08:43 AM
BucBaby
Pole Position

I saw something on Dateline once when my sons were small. It said that sometimes parents start a car, and while putting the kids in the seat, someone will jump in and steal it. So, I take the kids to McDonald's one day. I had a Volvo at the time, and I started the car. As I put the kids in the carseats (3 and newborn) I remembered the Dateline piece and pushed my front lock which locked all of the doors so no one could jump in. Then I got out, shut the door and .....OH @#%#! My 3 year old was in the middle of the back seat and couldn't get out of it to reach the locks. Thank goodness the air was running with summer in Florida. I had to call the police. They sent a HUGE firetruck. I teach in the same town and everyone started gathering around. On top of that, some former parents of kids I taught were the firemen. Talk about embarassed!

I hope you figure out the best way to put you kid in the car safely! I figured that out the hard way.
Old 08-18-07, 09:01 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Damm, what a day you had...

First and foremost, its not the cars fault, your the sucker that got married/had kids. Its not the cars fault that you didnt listen to the old men when they would say 'dont get married'.

Hey buddy.........your remark shows no class. We're all on this forum because we want to enjoy our Lexus....not to read comments like the one above.

Question for you: How did you get here? Either your parents were stupid enough to get married or..................your a bastard........which is it?
Old 08-18-07, 09:10 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
I think he's got very valid points. Anyone here who thinks that there aren't a bunch of annoying nannies built into the car is kidding themself.

The fact is, people are going to cause accidents for a variety of reasons. This is the understanding we all have when we get in our car and drive every time. Many of these nanny features deny the driver the choice to do what he/she wants to do. In effect, Lexus is saying 'We are going to build this great car with all of the neat features, but turn off the ones that we feel are unsafe at our discretion. Please don't take this personally, but you, the Lexus owner, just aren't mature and responsible enough to drive safely of your own accord, so we will handle that for you.'

For the it's-for-your-own-good crowd I say that setting a nationwide speed limit of 3 miles per hour, banning the sale of any car that can accelerate to 60 in less than 15 seconds and removing all radio and other entertainment equipment would be for our own good too. Any takers?For me this is a large negative which is offset by the vast majority of positives of the IS. For others, this might be more important.

To me, this is insulting to a degree.

Edit: I am not saying that I want to watch movies and play with my seats and whatever else while driving, however, I want the freedom to make that choice on my own. As a friend of mine once said, 'you can't idiot-proof any system'. Cars come under this heading too. For the morons that want to crash their cars, not being able to watch a movie while driving won't prevent this.

Why is it people always go to the extreme in order to make a point.

Sorry........but reason ie: common sense tells me you shouldn't be entering an address in the nav systme or watching a movie while tooling 75 MPH down the freeway. As many folks (perhaps you) don't share that thought we have laws to protect people like me from people like you who think they are brighter, smarter and more capable than the rest of us. Isn't there enough texting, cell phone use, puting on makeup and stuffing your face with fast food to satisfy your need for 'freedom?
Old 08-18-07, 09:58 AM
350ripper
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gtidan
[/B]

Hey buddy.........your remark shows no class. We're all on this forum because we want to enjoy our Lexus....not to read comments like the one above.

Question for you: How did you get here? Either your parents were stupid enough to get married or..................your a bastard........which is it?
Great! i couldn't said it better myself! Marriage is a great thing, its really too bad so many people are so unbelievably selfish nowadays that they can't make a marriage work.
Old 08-18-07, 10:30 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[/B]

Hey buddy........your remark show you have a stick up your butt. We're all on this forum becasue we want to enjoy our Lexus....AND TO HAVE FUN.

Question for you: Are you a prude? Either your parents were prudes or........... you became one all by yourself...... which is it?

OR your in denial.... in which case, ok you win.

*wanna take this further? lets goto the debate forum lets not continue this here*

Last edited by llamaboiz; 08-18-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-18-07, 10:31 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
All of your issues have been discussed previously, so no need to open them up again. My impression from reading your note sounds like you have your hands full with a two year old, and other day to day distractions. The first goal when you are in your car HAS to be driving safely. We can debate forever whether that should mean you should be able to input destinations into your NAV while tooling down the road, or watching DVD's, adjusting Memory seats, etc. If the electronic nanny's are getting in your way you have two choices, 1) really think whether these further distractions make sense in your driving experience or 2) dump the Lexus and get a less complicated automobile. Although you may believe you should be able to use any feature at any time in your car, Lexus and the state and federal governments think otherwise. I don't know of any jurisdiction where a driver visible screen showing broadcast images or DVD's is legal. You may think it is asinine but that is the law. It's similar to where you can't have open containers of booze in the car. You can't argue that the passengers should be able to get drunk while you drive sober. The law doesn't work like that.

The unlocking door feature is one you can adjust yourself so when you touch either of the front door handles ALL four doors open. It's in the Owners Manual. That solves that problem.
Well said.......RTFM I always say....
Old 08-18-07, 10:35 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Blah blah blah blah blah. too much to read. if your not happy with your lexus. SELL IT AND BUY SOMETHING BETTER FOR YOU. simple as that
Old 08-18-07, 10:38 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Hey buddy........your remark show you have a stick up your butt. We're all on this forum becasue we want to enjoy our Lexus....AND TO HAVE FUN.

Question for you: Are you a prude? Either your parents were prudes or........... you became one all by yourself...... which is it?

*wanna take this further? lets goto the debate forum lets not continue this here*
Nothing more to say........you've pretty much told this group who you are and what your made of.

.........And to have fun?. So making cheap remarks is your idea of fun? Go back to junior high and start over.....maybe you'll grow up this time!
Old 08-18-07, 10:57 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing more to say........you've pretty much told this group who you are and what your made of.

.........And to have fun?. So making cheap remarks is your idea of fun? Go back to junior high and start over.....maybe you'll grow up this time!
Gtidan, there's no need to react like this. If you read the guy's posts, they are all pretty much in jest, so don't get all worked up over somebody that's not taking this that seriously.

(And cheap remarks are kinda fun.)
Old 08-18-07, 10:59 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, lets get our panties in a bind over what someone said on the internet. You amuse me good job

BTW, no more responses for you, as i said, lets take this to the debate forum this is not the place for it.
Old 08-18-07, 01:28 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

LOL, lets get our panties in a bind over what someone said on the internet. You amuse me good job

BTW, no more responses for you, as i said, lets take this to the debate forum this is not the place for it.
Yawn.................
Old 08-18-07, 01:39 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Your on Oahu.............wow......must be fun driving that Lexus around in circles all day. Now that's a 'cheap' shot. Just wanted you to know I DO have a since of humor....

BTW: I'm not taking your comments seriously. Just felt they were out of order on this forum. My opinion. If the moderator thinks it's OK well.....that's his job.

BTW: I will be arriving on the 19th of September for a cruise on the Pride of Aloha. Might be driving around in circles myself........Question? Is it one way or can I turn around and drive in circles the other way....LOL
Old 08-18-07, 02:46 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

You are going to eat the loss on a brand new car because you had to walk around and unlock the door? OK, cool.
Old 08-18-07, 03:24 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

why the hell does it matter that it's a Lexus because you can't input destinations while driving?? I think that's pretty much standard for safety reasons. I don't like it either but it's not Lexus fault. I think it should automatically change if the passenger seat senses 100 lbs or more sitting in it.

I do agree about the passenger settings not working while in drive, that is *** stupid.

Voice commands work like ***? Big deal, all computer crap is like that. Don't be so damn lazy and get over it.

Most of your other rants are trivial and fixable if you would take the time to read your damn manual lol.

Go Lexus!!!!

Quick Reply: *** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**