Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 01:45 PM
ConradEOD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has adaptive cruise?

Just wondering

1) what was the price on this option?

2) how well does it work, and do you use it often?

I assume you set a max speed and the cruise will only let the car go that fast even if the vehicle in front speeds up?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-07, 09:29 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

no one has this?
Old 06-27-07, 10:47 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

umm here ya go:

1. Dont remember . . . sorry! Look it up on lexus.com

2. I LOVE IT!!! I travel on the highway frequently, i go on 2-3 hr trips on the highway and barely have to touch the pedal or brake. I either follow someone (stays right with them, you choose distance) or i speed up/slow down by using the cruise control paddle.

basically it will stay with the person in front of you . . . but I usually set it 5-10 mph faster than what they are going, that way if they speed up it will still stay the same distance. But yes if you are following at 70, and its set at 70, if they go faster, you will stay at 70.
Old 06-27-07, 11:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

As seen here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

[10]The Pre-Collision System is designed to help reduce the crash speed and damage in certain frontal collisions only. It is not a collision avoidance system and is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. System effectiveness depends on many factors, such as speed, driver input and road conditions. Please see your Owner’s Manual for further information.
[11]Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is designed to assist the driver and is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving practices. Please see your Owner's Manual for important cautions and instructions.
1) [10] Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) & [11] Dynamic Radar Cruise Control $2,850

2) N/A

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-27-07 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 11:23 PM
1022it
Pole Position

it sounds like a really amazing option to have... but while you are at it, you may as well buy the other model lexus (the one that parks itself) so you just have to press the autopilot button and fall asleep behind the wheel!

technology is astounding us every year; but where's the fun of a road trip if you just sit there?
Old 06-28-07, 06:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So now Im guessing that if you set it at 100 mph and you come up behind a person going 70 mph the car will apply brakes by itself to match the other car's speed? or would you have to apply the brakes?
Old 06-28-07, 06:50 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

It would slow down automatically, realizing you are approaching the car too fast, now if you change lanes, it will pass them.

I personally think it's a cool option, but takes the fun out of driving.
Old 06-28-07, 07:14 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
So now Im guessing that if you set it at 100 mph and you come up behind a person going 70 mph the car will apply brakes by itself to match the other car's speed? or would you have to apply the brakes?
It automatically applied the brakes. You can't set it to 100mph. I think the limit is 85 or something. I don't remember, I never set mine that high.
Old 06-28-07, 07:37 AM
ckaught78
Rookie

It works great in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-28-07, 07:59 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

yes the limit is 85 or 87 mph, i cant remember exactly.

and if someone cuts you off and get in front of you and is kinda close it will flash and beep.
Old 06-28-07, 08:41 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ckaught78
It works great in stop and go traffic.
Obviously you don't have it. It does NOT work in stop and go traffic. It disables at low speed.
Old 06-28-07, 08:48 AM
andoy
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Obviously you don't have it. It does NOT work in stop and go traffic. It disables at low speed.

lol... pwnd!
Old 06-28-07, 09:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it on my LS, and here are my recent comments on it:

"I see the value in the PreCollision System, but the Radar Cruise is too sensitive. It stops too soon when the car in front of you slows down (even at its most sensitive setting), as the brakes are applied a good one or two car lengths before you would do so yourself.

I typically set it with the radar cruise control activating as close/near to the vehicle in front as possible. It can determine (you can choose) to activate the system's brakes if the car in front is about nine, six, or three car lengths in front of you.

I just find that the LS is a bit over-protective. What the LS detects as too close (therefore activating the system), is far too soon for my taste. The car would slow down significantly more than I would do so if I applied the brakes. Because of this, the car brakes too often and does not accelerate quickly enough, and leaves huge gaps while driving, making other drivers cut me off."
Old 06-28-07, 11:00 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure agree with the lack of "brisk acceleration" when the time comes for my IS to get back to my set speed. I find that I just time when I pull into the other lane to pass the car ahead that has slowed me down. I've learned to make a pretty good calculation as to when to make that move.

I also have found that on occasion I get "lulled" into being quite passive and find myself cruising along behind the car in front of me that is going 65 MPH when in fact the speed limit is 70 MPH and I want to be going at least that fast (or faster?) So there I am, the radar cruise set at a higher speed but my car is just carefully following along behind the car in front at the more leisurely pace.

I bought the system primarily for the PCS but all in all I love the radar cruise. Driving all the way from So. Cal. to Las Vegas and never touching the accelerator, brake or Cruise paddle is pretty cool.
Old 06-28-07, 03:44 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

My wife's 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan has this system, and it works fine. However, I agree with Philip in that it is set to be too over-protective for my taste. However, I have used it on a long 270 mile highway trip, and I barely had to hit the gas or brake pedal.

A very nice convenience overall.

Quick Reply: who has adaptive cruise?