IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 01:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -Senn-
theres really nothing slow about it. EDGE has about 200kbps speed and it also has WiFi. Now that the phone works, its a complete masterpiece, but it does lack really basic features which is unreasonable in my book (picture msgs, mp3 or custom ringtones, etc.) It is a very slick smartphone none the less.
But heres the question, is it worth the 500-600 price tag? Picture msg/mp3/custom ringtones are the most commonly used features.
Old 07-01-07, 02:34 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
i got it yesterday and it works great with the cars. All i did was turned on the bluetooth on the phone and just searched with the car and boom it paired up and i was good to go. This phone is awsome guys, i had to wait 7 hours in line to get it and it was worth it.
You're kidding about it streaming into your IS, correct?

Does the IS have A2DP Bluetooth technology?

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 07-01-07, 04:56 PM
-Senn-
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
But heres the question, is it worth the 500-600 price tag? Picture msg/mp3/custom ringtones are the most commonly used features.
well if you look at how much a smartphone would cost you w/o any discounts of a service plan, itd be about the same price and this phone has things no other phone does...its the price of bleeding edge (US) technology.

If you don't already have 1, then you don't want it that bad and I'd wait for a 2nd gen when they do include things that are currently missing.
Old 07-01-07, 04:57 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Version 2.0 for me!
Old 07-01-07, 09:20 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

Too bad that its on AT&T network GSM network is slow.... its all about the CDMA Verizon baby... Just what apple wanted but didn't get.. if and when its comes to CDMA then I am all over it.
Old 07-02-07, 06:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

theres really nothing slow about it. EDGE has about 200kbps speed
According to the PC magazine review of the iPhone, they measured a real-world speed of from 68 kbps up to 180 kbps. That about a quarter of the real-world speed they'd have seen if they went with AT&T's more modern 3G network.
Old 07-15-07, 09:58 AM
contourrob
Driver School Candidate

Ha. Walked into an AT&T store in Raleigh, NC at 6:15 PM on release day, no wait (only about 4 people in store) bought the 8 GB model and had it activated seconds later via wireless laptop.

Works perfectly w/BT in car...much better than my RAZR V3i!

Love the iPhone!!!
Old 07-15-07, 11:30 AM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

well if you look at how much a smartphone would cost you w/o any discounts of a service plan, itd be about the same price and this phone has things no other phone does...its the price of bleeding edge (US) technology.

If you don't already have 1, then you don't want it that bad and I'd wait for a 2nd gen when they do include things that are currently missing.
Let's discuss that...

Verizon XV6700: Large touchscreen, Windows Mobile 5, full keyboard, 1.3MP camera with flash, WMP that does audio, video, and pictures, full web and email, maps, expandable memory... same things the iPhone does but it's been done years ago. Oh, and it's had broadband as well, minimum 400-700kbps.

Last edited by IRCRomeo; 07-15-07 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-15-07, 11:33 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe you guys would shell out money to buy this paperweight. There are much better phones on the market.

Seems like everyone is buying into the Apple trend...
Old 07-15-07, 11:52 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
Seems like everyone is buying into the Apple trend...
You have to have the newest fone to be 'in', cant be standing in the parking lot all the time next to our lexi to look 'cool'
Old 07-15-07, 12:28 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Nokia e90 if/when it comes out for at&t will be a mch better phone for the business minded folks, or a more business-centric iPhone which I've heard is in the works....
Old 07-15-07, 12:29 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by contourrob
Ha. Walked into an AT&T store in Raleigh, NC at 6:15 PM on release day, no wait (only about 4 people in store) bought the 8 GB model and had it activated seconds later via wireless laptop.

Works perfectly w/BT in car...much better than my RAZR V3i!

Love the iPhone!!!
How would you rate the at&t coverage in the raleigh area? 3G?
Old 07-16-07, 05:21 AM
contourrob
Driver School Candidate

can't say, I was down there on vacation for only a few days...happened to be the iPhone release date, so I stopped by a store. Seemed to be fine while I was down there.
Old 07-16-07, 05:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bnet504
You can't do that, unfortunately. The iPhone doesn't have A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which allows you to stream music wirelessly. This is a huge oversight, in my opinion, because I'm sure there are a ton of people who would get wireless bluetooth headphones for their iPhone. Apple will probably add A2DP in the next generation, however.
a new Samsung phone for $199 has that...to be released Nov 1.....12gig.

just kidding....but you know they're coming and are going to try to topple Apple!
Old 07-16-07, 07:08 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

SO BACK TO THE LEXUS.....

Has anyone tried to upload their entire contacts VIA bluetooth into the IS??? Mine has paired up with the lexus, but haven't found a way to send contacts unless I go 1 by 1..

Quick Reply: iPhone