Acura TL-S Faster ? Youtube video...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 10:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

This TL on drag times looks to be the same guy. 13.7@101
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-10607.html

It takes a supercharger, NOS, Drag radials, exhaust and a ton of other mods just to hit a 13.1@107 in the TL.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-9382.html

The Acura is definitely not a faster car and these amateur racing videos prove nothing as far as speed goes.
Old 07-01-07, 11:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I believe it not. That TL is a slower car... Hands down. Less HP, less torque, front wheel drive, weighs 100lbs more. unless there were some serious mods done to it, this video is worthless and unbelievable.
Don't forget one can not use crank horse power, the effective power delivered at the wheels is what pushes the car forward.
Did you ever consider the power train loss? Any manual will beat automatic hands down in power train effeciency.
Old 07-01-07, 11:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't really judge on either but looks like the IS has custom wheels which may add weight but It looks like the first race the TL wins then the other race the IS wins.. WHo knows..
Old 07-01-07, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
This TL on drag times looks to be the same guy. 13.7@101
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-10607.html

It takes a supercharger, NOS, Drag radials, exhaust and a ton of other mods just to hit a 13.1@107 in the TL.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-9382.html

The Acura is definitely not a faster car and these amateur racing videos prove nothing as far as speed goes.
13.7 isn't so bad. The guy's only real mod is the 3" exhaust. Everything else are little stuff that add little to no power

13.1@107 is mediocre, but its a 5AT so maybe it's not so bad after all?

Someone on Acurazine ran a 12.9 with just 100 shots of nitrous

In a straight line, no doubt the IS350 is faster.
Old 07-01-07, 11:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
13.7 isn't so bad. The guy's only real mod is the 3" exhaust. Everything else are little stuff that add little to no power

13.1@107 is mediocre, but its a 5AT so maybe it's not so bad after all?

Someone on Acurazine ran a 12.9 with just 100 shots of nitrous

In a straight line, no doubt the IS350 is faster.
I think i agree to that the IS350 will be faster.. 306HP vs. 286HP..
Old 07-01-07, 12:51 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just goes to show how good the IS is!! BMW has to compare a sport BMW to non sport IS (as in the edmunds report ...which is BS), Acura has to put extra weightin the lexus and roll the windows down.....I think we all know who the real winner IS!!!

Last edited by nrsk4u; 07-01-07 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 01:07 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Too me it seems that whichever car has the extra passenger doing the filming always looses. The extra weight makes a big difference—Simple as that.
Old 07-01-07, 01:16 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura TL-S : 2 Lexus IS350 : 1
Old 07-01-07, 01:33 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
what's your point...............
Old 07-01-07, 01:43 PM
revitupwio
Driver

...at least the TL driver can fit comfortably inside his car

<---06TL driver thinking of making the switch.

PS...great forum (I've been reading quite a bit) and great info, but you guys could use some more smilies
Old 07-01-07, 02:46 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
lame!!! whats that about anyway??
Old 07-01-07, 03:14 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by revitupwio

<---06TL driver thinking of making the switch.

PS...great forum (I've been reading quite a bit) and great info, but you guys could use some more smilies
LOL this guy comes outta no where..rubs in the fact that the TL has more space..than goes you guys can use more smiles
Old 07-01-07, 03:26 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
LOL this guy comes outta no where..rubs in the fact that the TL has more space..than goes you guys can use more smiles

naa..not out of nowhere per se - from Acurazine!

Personally, I would imagine that both cars (in the video) have a mod or two done, but the TL-S is pretty damn fast. Personally, I would imagine that out of 100 heads-up races, each would win 50 - they both have their positives and negatives for both the strip and the curves.

Personally, I like RWD FTW. I've had my TL for about 20 months and am tired of the FWD. My wife has a Jeep w/AWD that I drive to 'get the taste out of my mouth', so to speak. I know the two types of drive trains have their advantages and disadvantages & require unique driving styles, but RWD just seems more appropriate than FWD.

edit: And ditto to the comment about the torque/hp that actually gets to the wheels vs how much the engine cranks out.

I'm actually going to drop by a dealership in a couple days to look at a 250/nav to see how much a lease would be (the wife's in grad school for the next 18 months, so being accountants, we're reigning in the budget) partly because of the drive train, even though I otherwise love my TL.

Oh, and to you all. I've prepared my Acura flame suit for all opinions on TLs, now.
Old 07-01-07, 03:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stop eating so much then.
Old 07-01-07, 03:52 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

naa..not out of nowhere per se - from Acurazine!

Personally, I would imagine that both cars (in the video) have a mod or two done, but the TL-S is pretty damn fast. Personally, I would imagine that out of 100 heads-up races, each would win 50 - they both have their positives and negatives for both the strip and the curves.

Personally, I like RWD FTW. I've had my TL for about 20 months and am tired of the FWD. My wife has a Jeep w/AWD that I drive to 'get the taste out of my mouth', so to speak. I know the two types of drive trains have their advantages and disadvantages & require unique driving styles, but RWD just seems more appropriate than FWD.

edit: And ditto to the comment about the torque/hp that actually gets to the wheels vs how much the engine cranks out.

I'm actually going to drop by a dealership in a couple days to look at a 250/nav to see how much a lease would be (the wife's in grad school for the next 18 months, so being accountants, we're reigning in the budget) partly because of the drive train, even though I otherwise love my TL.

Oh, and to you all. I've prepared my Acura flame suit for all opinions on TLs, now.
I hate the tl and i am only allowed to say that because i owned one. On a different note i think the tl-s had a mod or two done and the is didnt(besides rims) but who cares. Also i do not know how you deal with the fwd bucking and skipping. Once u get pushed you will never want to get pulled again. And now im only guessing but to the crank the tl-s gets 286 so im going to say to the wheels it gets about anywhere from 255-270. My guess is around 260. The is if im not mistaken gets 276 too the rear wheels after drivetrain loss. So they are very close. Either way in my eyes they are 2 different cars. The acura has cheaper materials and cuts corners to get the msrp as cheap as possible. The rattles i had with my tl were horrible along with everything else. Lexus for me was just a better experince for me. Everything about lexus jsut feels liek they took more time to develop the little things that in the end make the whole picture seem right. Plus 286 hp to the front wheels isnt for me. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Acura TL-S Faster ? Youtube video...