IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra Owners. Post your battle scars

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 07:59 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Owners. Post your battle scars

Here are the only two noteworthy ones I've got. These happened 3 weeks after I got my car so I'm glad I got my clear bra right away. Its interesting how they look like bad gashes, but up close the white part is actually where the bra took a hit and peeled or got air bubbles under it a bit. The paint underneeth is fine or at least much better then it would have been otherwise.

Old 07-01-07, 06:25 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that the clear bra is damaged, don't you need to replace it? To me, the clear bra looking like absolute crap is no better than the paint looking bad. If you think the paint underneath is damaged, then you have to replace both the bra AND the paint. Talk about diminishing returns.

Looks like the bra is pretty scuffed up all over.
Old 07-01-07, 06:49 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Now that the clear bra is damaged, don't you need to replace it? To me, the clear bra looking like absolute crap is no better than the paint looking bad. If you think the paint underneath is damaged, then you have to replace both the bra AND the paint. Talk about diminishing returns.

Looks like the bra is pretty scuffed up all over.
That's what I thought, too. Who wants a crappy looking bra on if it is damaged? I can't get into the bra thing. You have it on your car to protect your finish so the next owner can enjoy it? Doesn't really make sense to me.
Old 07-01-07, 07:58 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same kind of damage on the front spoiler after hitting a tree stump when parking at night. I cut out a 3 inch part of the damaged clear bra. When I got the bra installed the installer gave me the leftover parts that he did not use. I cut out a 3 inch brand new piece and placed it where that damaged one was. Now you cant tell there was any damage there. It saved my paint from getting scratched. The only way you can tell anything is if you walk up right to the front of the vehicle and look for it. You will see two very small outlines of where I made the cuts. After having this clear bra I have NO regrets getting this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO unless you purchase a quality clear bra (3M, or another quality brand) you will not know how much it is worth until you encounter what I did!

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 07-02-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-01-07, 08:15 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I had the same kind of damage on the front spoiler after hitting a tree stump when parking at night. I cut out a 3 inch part of the damaged clear bra. When I got the bra installed the installer gave me the leftover parts that he did not use. I cut out a 3 inch brand new piece where that damaged one was. Now you cant tell there was any damage there. It saved my paint from getting scratched. The only way you can tell anything is if you walk up right to the front of the vehicle and look for it. You will see two very small outlines of where I made the cuts. After having this clear bra I have NO regrets getting this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO unless you purchase a quality clear bra (3M, or another quality brand) you will not know how worth it is until you encounter what I did!
Whoa??? How did you cut out a piece of clear bra without cutting your paint below? And then after that how did you make it look like it wasnt a patch job.... Id like to see pics.
Old 07-01-07, 09:36 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That's what I thought, too. Who wants a crappy looking bra on if it is damaged? I can't get into the bra thing. You have it on your car to protect your finish so the next owner can enjoy it? Doesn't really make sense to me.
I look at it this way. The scuffs and damage you see are way under the front lip and I had to get on the ground to see it so it isn't really visible.

However, think of all the tiny grit and rocks that hit this thing and bounce off. Not every impact leaves a mark in the bra. My black 02 accord looks sand blasted. I still think its a good investment.
Old 07-01-07, 09:37 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

For the people who are against clear bras and have a 6+ month old car: Don't you have at least 5 large rock chips on your front bumper? Don't you have 10+ small rock chips under each of your fog lights?

I don't understand how you can still be against a clear bra. I don't have a clear bra and my front bumper looks like a 4 year old front bumper.
Old 07-01-07, 09:56 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do people keep insisting that the clearbra's ONLY use is for the sake of the NEXT owner? I don't know about all the people against clearbra's here, but the clearbra is actually protecting my car's paint FOR ME. I actually like to look at the front of my car without seeing any rock chips.... Do any of you guys notice that I haven't seen ANY negative posts about clearbras from clearbra owners? Doesn't that say something.... If $500+ clearbras didn't work then I'm pretty sure you would have people crying over it already.... I mean you have people who are perfectionists that care about every little rock chip and those with the clearbras don't seem to have any regrets.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 07-01-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-01-07, 02:20 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Why do people keep insisting that the clearbra's ONLY use is for the sake of the NEXT owner? I don't know about all the people against clearbra's here, but the clearbra is actually protecting my car's paint FOR ME. I actually like to look at the front of my car without seeing any rock chips.... Do any of you guys notice that I haven't seen ANY negative posts about clearbras from clearbra owners? Doesn't that say something.... If $500+ clearbras didn't work then I'm pretty sure you would have people crying over it already.... I mean you have people who are perfectionists that care about every little rock chip and those with the clearbras don't seem to have any regrets.
I agree with you. I have a clear bra and have zero regrets. I got it for myself and nobody else.
Old 07-01-07, 06:58 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee

I put a clear bra on so that *I* could enjoy the car without a rock pitted front end. That would bother me every time I saw it.
Old 07-02-07, 12:04 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
I agree with you. I have a clear bra and have zero regrets. I got it for myself and nobody else.
ditto here! Took a road trip from North CA to LA area last weekend, when I got home my front end looked I went to a battle field. Washed it and found one mark on the clear bar and one on my hood about a foot above my bra coverage . But considering how my front end looked with all the rock explosions ----- I have to give the bra 2X.
Old 07-02-07, 01:11 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

I wonder where everyone is driving that rock chips are a constant head ache.

I saw the clear bra installed on an new dark LS460 at the dealership and it looked like somebody applied orange peel over the front clip of the car. I would rather have one tiny chip than a clear sticker laid over the front of my car.
Old 07-02-07, 02:06 AM
ucdmoo
Rookie

I'd really like to see one of those half-with and half-without demos like the infomercials. Cover half the front end with a clear bra and the other half leave it as bare paint. Drive the car around for a year, and do a comparison of rock chips. Then we can finally put this "debate" to bed.

I have a clear bra installed, it's super clean and you can barely tell it's there. I consider it a great investment and I know for a fact it has saved me from many paint chips already. I'd prefer to get it installed by a reputable shop, and not by any dealer who probably outsources it anyway. Check out this install.
Old 07-02-07, 03:03 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
I wonder where everyone is driving that rock chips are a constant head ache.

I saw the clear bra installed on an new dark LS460 at the dealership and it looked like somebody applied orange peel over the front clip of the car. I would rather have one tiny chip than a clear sticker laid over the front of my car.

Well I agree -- I would rather have ONE TINY chip than a "clear sticker" laid over the front of my car. If only it was one tiny chip.

I drive all over -- small roads, big roads, interstates. I don't tail gate. I have no idea how I've had rock chips on my car in the past. I just know that I've seen it multiple times and it's annoying. And I'm not talking one or two chips.
Old 07-02-07, 05:08 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

For me, having a clear bra installed means peace of mind and enjoying the appearance of my vehicles. I know that I've said this before on related threads here, but the fact that I can wash my cars with confidence that I will not uncover chips on the hood, bumper, and fenders make the cost and experience of a clear bra well worth the investment. Also, since "the next owner" was mentioned before by someone here, having a clear bra on my `04 SC430 definitely equated to extra $$$ when I traded-in that car last year.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Owners. Post your battle scars