IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 01:46 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Problem

I parked on a bit of a steep hill the other day and when I put the e-brake on and proceeded to get out the car moved forward quite noticeably (like 1-2 feet). I also noticed that if I sat in there and moved around inside, the car would make a weird noise and again slide forward a little bit.

This isn't normal, right? The hill was pretty steep but still that's no excuse for the e-brake to be hanging on by a thread. Let me put it this way, even though I had the pedal fully pressed, the car acted as if I'd applied the brake only partially.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old 07-03-07, 05:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

If you've applied the parking brake firmly and it still isn't holding, I'd bring it to the dealer. Perhaps it needs to be adjusted.

Also, I presume you have a manual tranny, as with an automatic in Park the transmission pawl would lock the rear wheels in less than 1-2 feet. With a manual, it's a good idea to leave the car in 1st gear rather than neutral when parked, in case the parking brake slips.
Old 07-03-07, 05:47 AM
rroy
Pole Position

I have a manual and when parking on a steep hill I need to pull the e-brake all the way so the car doesnt roll. Half way or 3/4 wont do. I always put it in gear for safety as well.
Old 07-03-07, 06:08 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rroy
I have a manual and when parking on a steep hill I need to pull the e-brake all the way so the car doesnt roll. Half way or 3/4 wont do.
This is my experience as well.
Old 07-03-07, 07:07 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rroy
I have a manual and when parking on a steep hill I need to pull the e-brake all the way so the car doesnt roll. Half way or 3/4 wont do. I always put it in gear for safety as well.
Have your dealer adjust your hand brake. You shouldn't have to pull the brake all the way to the stops to get maximum brake. It should be adjusted so about 3/4 travel on the handle gives full effect. It is a simple adjustment and all handbrakes need to be adjusted from time to time. And all manual cars should be put in gear (1st or reverse) when using the e-brake.
Old 07-03-07, 10:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That isn't normal.

How are your brake pads? Still good?
Old 07-03-07, 02:48 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I actually have the auto box on my 250. Maybe 1-2 feet was an overestimate but I just wanted to differetiate this from the usual little jolt you get if you're on a steep hill.

Anyway it's weird because the car moved really considerably when I first applied the brake and every time I'd move around inside it made this creaking noise as if it was about to let go and roll down the street.

I guess I'll have it looked at. Just wanted to make sure it's a valid problem and not just me nitpicking.
Old 07-03-07, 03:23 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

So, you have an auto transmission, and you had it in gear, or was it in Park when it moved?
Old 07-03-07, 03:31 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

I had the same issue with mine, though i drive a manual, i did bring it to the dealers attention however, but after they checked it out they said that it cannot be tightened any further. so i still have to apply it 100% to make sure it doesnt move. strange i find.
Old 07-03-07, 04:25 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The emergency brakes are seperate internal drum brakes on the inside the rotors. I have a rattle in the rear and had the car in twice. They insist the noise is the emergency brake assembly. I will bring it back Thursday for the third time. They are having their best tech adjust them. They are telling me the adjustment is really critical and has to be just right or it will rattle over light bumps. We will see!

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-03-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 10:17 PM
noliesss
Driver

I have an IS250 AWD and i had my parking brake doing the same thing as you. I don't even need to be on a hill for it to make the sqeazking noise. if it is a little bit slanted and i apply the parking brake then move around the in the car it would squeazk like it is not holding every well. First time i took it in they said that the parking brake was not adjusted right at all. Second time same problem, they said they were heavy glazing on the rotor so they have to re-surface my rotors. Now the problem is kind of gone but not quite. it will squeak once on a steep hill and goes away. thinking of taking it in the third time. I think it's getting louder again. have your look at by the dealer
Old 07-18-07, 02:52 PM
buckeye101
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
The emergency brakes are seperate internal drum brakes on the inside the rotors. I have a rattle in the rear and had the car in twice. They insist the noise is the emergency brake assembly. I will bring it back Thursday for the third time. They are having their best tech adjust them. They are telling me the adjustment is really critical and has to be just right or it will rattle over light bumps. We will see!

Koz
I have an IS250 AWD. I had a slight "tic" noise from the right rear when going over bumps at low speed. They just fixed it today, and told me it was an adjustment in the emergency brake. I have just under 1K miles. Anyhow, no more tic!