IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus A/C, The Coldest I have Ever Seen/Felt!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 02:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... I think the AC is my IS is fairly weak.
Old 07-05-07, 02:56 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
It was Fahrenheit. If it were Celsius it would have been coming out of the vent around the low 60's in Fahrenheit and in 90 plus degree temps would have had a hard time cooling the car.

I agree with you on the condensate freezing. I've been in a car before that did that and it effectively stops the car from cooling inside, you have to turn it off and let it melt.

I know it sounds crazy, I could not believe it myself! That's why I double checked it.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Now way I believe this story. The thermometer must either be broken or stuck on Celsius. If 17 degree F air was blowing from the vents you would probalbly be able to see your breath. I use the A/C on full blast most of the time here in sunny FL {90-95F}, and often put my hands on the vents to blow the sweat off. The old temp sensor in my hand does not read 17 F, more like 60 F.
Maybe the laser is shooting directly to the evaporator core, but the air at the vent is not 17 F.

Last edited by GOBUCS; 07-05-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 03:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with others, I don't think you are getting 17 deg F coming out of those vents. Something is not right with the thermometer.

If you run the A/C in a humid environment, like Texas, with outside airflow being mixed in it will eventually ice the core and no flow, or cooling, will occur. That is why I always run the A/C in Recirculation mode.
Old 07-05-07, 05:28 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Agree with others, I don't think you are getting 17 deg F coming out of those vents. Something is not right with the thermometer.

If you run the A/C in a humid environment, like Texas, with outside airflow being mixed in it will eventually ice the core and no flow, or cooling, will occur. That is why I always run the A/C in Recirculation mode.
Originally Posted by GOBUCS
Now way I believe this story. The thermometer must either be broken or stuck on Celsius. If 17 degree F air was blowing from the vents you would probalbly be able to see your breath. I use the A/C on full blast most of the time here in sunny FL {90-95F}, and often put my hands on the vents to blow the sweat off. The old temp sensor in my hand does not read 17 F, more like 60 F.
Maybe the laser is shooting directly to the evaporator core, but the air at the vent is not 17 F.
I don't give a hoot whether you believe the story or not! I just went out and checked for a 3rd time. I stopped when it hit 25 F this time so I could run back in and bark at you! On top of that, I checked another glass of "Unsalted" ice this time; 33 degrees F. I use it all the time to get oil to 350 degrees F and I've used a regular analog thermometer and they are within 1 to 1/2 degrees F of each other.

I don't think the evaporator core in the car is that high up, even if it was, it's registering 17 F at the vent.

I keep my car garaged and the humidity is about 45 -50 percent, would you like me to check that too (the humidity), how 'bout if I send you the thermometer and you check it out yourself after you send me the check for it!

So, I check hot oil, I check ice, I check the icebox in the house, the A/C vents in the house, etc,etc and the thermometer decides to deceive me when it gets in the car. I think not. That's on the top vents above the nav also in the car.

I have no reason to lie to you on such a frivolous subject and this will be the one and only squabbling match that I engage in with you.

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 07-05-07 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Bad language
Old 07-05-07, 05:55 PM
jzalkin
Rookie

Mine works well- I have it set at 77-78 and it is always cooler than that. My wife's saab is set at 72 and feels about the same.
Old 07-05-07, 06:17 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I have always found the AC temp setting to be too sensitive.

If I put it in LOW, it's blasting like an arctic storm.
If I put it in 72 degrees, it feels like 65.
If I put it in 76 degrees, it feels like 72...

I agree with this lol...my car does this too...soo werid and the auto climate dont seem to work with the temp hummm
Old 07-05-07, 06:30 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

i guess the only way to prove is to just take a pic
Old 07-05-07, 06:40 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

i'm different.. i don't think the toyota/lexus AC are as cool and strong as Acura.. lol.. also, the cooling seats aren't as cool as i want it to be, but can't complain though really since not a lot of cars have this feature..
Old 07-05-07, 08:19 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

I'm not an A/C expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. Looking online, the ideal temp for an evaporator is 32 F, otherwise, it will freeze. It just seems very odd that your vent is blowing air 15 degrees colder than freezing. I just checked mine, and the lowest it went was 49F.
Old 07-05-07, 08:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I don't give a hoot whether you believe the story or not! I just went out and checked for a 3rd time. I stopped when it hit 25 F this time so I could run back in and bark at you! On top of that, I checked another glass of "Unsalted" ice this time; 33 degrees F. I use it all the time to get oil to 350 degrees F and I've used a regular analog thermometer and they are within 1 to 1/2 degrees F of each other.

I don't think the evaporator core in the car is that high up, even if it was, it's registering 17 F at the vent.
No one is calling you a liar. I just don't think you are getting an accurate reading with an infrared thermometer. Don't know if it is due to the velocity of the air coming out or something else, but your actual temperature is not 17 degrees. Perhaps the thermometer is not calibrated to accurately read at that temperature. We need an A/C expert, or someone who knows their thermodynamics, to explain the phenomenon. If air was blowing out at 17 degrees at the vent you would not be able to hold your hand in front of the vent for more than a couple of seconds. And you would see your breath after a couple of minutes. Ever try sticking your hand in a bucket of slushy ice at or near freezing? It is painful.
Old 07-05-07, 09:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
i'm different.. i don't think the toyota/lexus AC are as cool and strong as Acura.. l
I'm with you on this

The newer Hondas/Acuras I've been in are quite colder (faster too). I use to think Lexus had cold A/C, until I witness Honda's A/C system
Old 07-05-07, 11:05 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

FWIW, the AC in the IS is weak compared to the AC in my RX330.

I actually had my service guy take a look at it when I had the 5K mile service done. He said that it was running at 38 degree, which was within spec.

The RX feels cooler and gets cold very quickly, usually within a minute or two. It takes at least 5-10 minutes for the IS to start blowing adequately cold air.

Agree about Acuras. My g/f's TSX performs as well as the RX and much better than the IS.
Old 07-05-07, 11:11 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

That is why I always run the A/C in Recirculation mode.
Ok wait a minute. What's "recirculation" mode? I see the green light on the left side. Is that on recirculation? If the green light is on the right side, then you're actually opening up the vents right? At that point, you're mixing outside air with inside air.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 07-05-07 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 03:59 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm with you on this

The newer Hondas/Acuras I've been in are quite colder (faster too). I use to think Lexus had cold A/C, until I witness Honda's A/C system
ohh man from a guy who use to own acuras and hondas and still do they are nothing compared to lexus. I have a 04 tl and an 05 tsx and they are not as cold as the lexus
Old 07-06-07, 04:29 AM
GOBUCS
Driver

We need an A/C expert, or someone who knows their thermodynamics, to explain the phenomenon.
Old Oiler, for the sake of argument, can you do your test again. After you get the 17 degree reading{which I assume is with the A/C on full blast}, lower the fan speed to the lowest setting and take a reading. The air temp should be the same at the lower speed. If the temp is different, maybe you are getting a "wind chill effect" at the higher fan speed. Just curious.

Quick Reply: Lexus A/C, The Coldest I have Ever Seen/Felt!!